Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #1

Share |

Benjamin Moore Advance and Natura Problems

Benjamin Moore Advance and Natura Problems I am having problems with Benjamin Moore Natura paint peeling. Does anyone know why it would peel? I believe the walls had behr paint on them before. Should the walls have been primed? Do all paints peel like this?

Is it typical if you use an eggshell finish on a wall to do the first coat with flat? Wouldn't you use eggshell for the first coat as well?

I had advance painted on the wood work and you can see what looks to be blue underneath. The original woodwork was white, but I'm assuming the blue was the primer. It looks like they only did one coat and it looks really thin. I have posted some pictures at the link below. I hope it is ok to do this without violating forum rules. Please look at the photos and let me know what you may think is wrong. I really appreciate the help.

John

Pic 1 Blue on woodwork under advance
Pic 2 Natura Peeling

jnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Some educated guesses-
Was the ww primed first? or was the color underneath dark? What you might be seeing with the blue is just simple lack of coverage. Dark underneath white often looks blue.
The pulling- first- it is a tub surround it looks like. Very possibly there was soap residue or something that wasn't cleaned making adhesion poor. And it also looks like it pulled when tape was pulled. It takes up to a couple of weeks for paints/ primers to cure to full hardness and adhesion- I would almost always score the tape edge before pulling tape to prevent that.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #3

I'd vote for some kind of contaminant on the surface: dirt, grease, soap film, etc.
It seems that it just wanted to peel near the tile ridge, i.e. where dirt collects.

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC Painting View Post
I'd vote for some kind of contaminant on the surface: dirt, grease, soap film, etc.
It seems that it just wanted to peel near the tile ridge, i.e. where dirt collects.

also where it would have been taped( ie, he got tape onto the newly finished wall and did not cut the top edge before pulling it and the new paint film off)
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #5

Whether you are using Natura Zero-VOC Interior Paint, or the new Advance Waterborne Alkyd Interior Paint, in order to obtain a uniform and opaque appearance as well as obtain proper adhesion, you must take the time to properly prepare all surfaces to be painted.

Most paint failures can be directly attributed to a lack of proper surface prep. Bathrooms and laundry rooms, and kitchens all require extra surface preparation in order to remove soap particulates, conditioners, soaps, hair-spray, grease and grime prior to applying a primer and finish coat.

Surfaces to be painted must be clean, dry, and free of dirt, dust, grease, oil,soap, wax, scaling paint, water soluble materials, and mildew. Remove any peeling or scaling paint and sand these areas to feather edges smooth with adjacent surfaces. Glossy areas should be dulled. Drywall surfaces must be free of sanding dust.

Almost any household cleaner will perform adequately. TSP (trisodium phosphate) is the best cleaning agent for grease laden painted surfaces and the residue associated with it. Mix TSP with water and sponge it over the walls and woodwork.

TSP is somewhat caustic, and will actually remove the gloss from old paint. That helps new paint because glossy surfaces don't bond as well. But be careful not to get TSP on painted surfaces you won’t be painting. As always, follow all package directions. Rinse with clean water to remove all traces of soap.

If you would rather avoid the use of TSP (trisodium phosphate) , you could use a strong detergent cleaner or a TSP substitute. Follow up this procedure by using a good quality primer such as our N023 Fresh Start 100% Acrylic Primer. If you are going from a light color to a dark color or vice-versa, you should consider using a primer tinted to a like color of the topcoat, or final coat.

Advance calls for the use of the 790 Advance primer for most situations. Two topcoats are recommended.

Technical Data Sheets contain surface preparation information and primer recommendations and can be downloaded via the www.benjaminmoore.com website.

Simply type in the product number or name and download the TDS.

Send all paint related inquiries to info@benjaminmmore.com We try to respond to all email inquiries as soon as possible—usually within 48 hours.

Regards,
Mark Lamborn
Product Information
Benjamin Moore & Co.
info@benjaminmoore.com
Mark Lamborn is offline   Reply With Quote