Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Doing some research

Share |

BEHR would like to hear about your experiences with our paint

Hi Everyone,

My name is Chris and I work with Behr Process Corp. I'm sorry to hear about the problems some of you have had with Behr paint.

We're in the process of rolling out new product formulas and would appreciate hearing from you directly to better unnderstand your experiences with the brand. Please PM me or email me directly at:
clarsen@behr.com.

If you would like to keep your responses in the forum that's okay too, but I'm hoping to hear more specific expereinces (positive, negative, or neutral).

Thanks in advance guys.

chris.behr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
the Musigician

hi and welcome to the forum! you should get plenty of feedback from the folks here.

DM

Old 03-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #3

This should be good.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #4

I'll go first.

My first experience was with your Premium Interior Flat. It was a light Beige to be painted on new walls that was primed brush & roller with Zinsser 123 (Just about the best latex primer on the market) Opened the can and the stuff looked ok. Poured it out into my roller bucket and cut bucket and it seemed somewhat normal consistency and thickness and nothing really seamed out of the norm. I cut in my first wall with no issues. It seemed to cover like $25 paint so far with just the cut. Then I start to roll the walls. I get the whole wall rolled out and didn't have any real complaints. Seemed to go on "OK", like $25. So then I start cutting in the second wall and happen to look back at the first wall. All along the bottom the paint was sagging terribly as well as up the wall. I have never seen paint sag before like that. So basically I now have to keep going back over the walls countless times with the roller to smooth this stuff out. This one room paint job took twice as long as it should have with me having to babysit the paint that should have stuck to the walls. It was a custom color that was on the shaker so it wasn't something that sat on a shelf. I did a search on the net and found out a LOT of people are having the same problems. The coverage wasn't the greatest either once dry. 2 coats and it was still streaky. The nicest way I can put it is to say that is poor quality. On the exterior of same house I used the Exterior Premium White Semi-Gloss and it was streaky going over a fully white primed surface.

Honestly, I would use the $12 Glidden paint before I would use Behr.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Drips,runs,sags,viscosity,coverage(lack there of),splatter, oder,having to deal with incompetent sales persons at HD, having to go to HD, having customers tell me over and over how Behr is rated #1 by CR( that is the worst). Off the top of my head and I am sure I am missing some, but there is a short list of comments and experiences and as posted else where "I just want to know how much money Behr pays Consumer Reports every year to rank them #1."

"better to leave the walls bare than put Behr on the walls"
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
the Musigician

i believe they were rated #1 by CR because of cost, not because of a bribe! lol

chris(.behr) , please search 'behr' up above there and you'll find more threads on your product, both good and bad.
me, i've never had any real problems with ANY brand of paint i've used, but i don't paint that much either.....

DM
Old 03-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #7

[quote=chrisn;249866]Drips,runs,sags,viscosity,coverage(lack there of),splatter

My neighbor told me just last week that he used Behr texture paint on his ceiling downstairs and it was the first and the last time he would ever use that paint. The coverage was no where near the amount listed on the bucket.He had to go out twice to buy more paint.Splatter everywhere as well as drips.It took him two or three days just to do the ceiling and he was worn out from the effort.
Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
Doing some research

Thanks for the feedback guys. Behr is just about to roll out a new line of interior paint that addresses the kind of things you've brought up. If you (or any of your clients) is having problems with Behr products anytime in the future I encourage you to contact our tech services team right away and they will help you sort things out.
chris.behr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.behr View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Behr is just about to roll out a new line of interior paint that addresses the kind of things you've brought up. If you (or any of your clients) is having problems with Behr products anytime in the future I encourage you to contact our tech services team right away and they will help you sort things out.
Oh sweet. Behr is finally going to add Binder to thier paint. How much will that add to the cost ? People are already paying $25/Gallon for stuff that performs on the $6/gallon level.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #10

Chris you have a lot of guts......I commend you for your efforts. Paint talk wasn't that great to you either, I believe. My 2 Cents since I sell a competing brand all I can say is keep up the good work. I deal with home owners everyday that either have heard or have had issues with Behr. So please don't change anything I like the formula just the way it is. As far as pro painters we deal with.....Behr is not even an option.
BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:17 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

As far as pro painters we deal with.....Behr is not even an option.

People are already paying $25/Gallon for stuff that performs on the $6/gallon level.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #12

Look at this thread.

what solid stain is best?

Sorry to be so harsh, but this garbage has no business going on a wall.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #13

I use behr a lot never any problems with it.
It sounds that all the "pros" use too much paint on their brushes.
It is a good inexpensive product compared to s.w. Or b.m. Same coverage.
I just did a 4 bedroom house with it owners were very pleased.
The trick is not to apply to much paint that is all....
fmeijler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmeijler View Post
Hahahaha... How are those owners going to feel in 1 or 2 years? I cant stand when people comment on paint jobs when the last time they saw them was 1 day after it was finished.

I have painted for money and also painted 3 of my houses, 9 rentals my parents own, my sisters house and countless friends houses. The best thing I ever did was use REAL PAINT (SW Home Duration).

The problem with Behr is that the simps at home depot give your customers unrealistic expectations on your product. I understand that Behr hits a certain price point but your front line sales people insist it performs better than a paint that cost 2x as much. STOP THE LIES!!!!!!!
Behr is the perfect paint for "know-it-all" home owners that get all their BS info from consumer reports. Most people are pretty uneducated but think they know more than the guy, or girl, that has done this for a living for more than 20 years.

Behr is a inferior product, stop making it out to be "just as good" as Home Duration and Aura. People who paint for a living hate your product because you create a huge lie about the performance of the product. We all know 9 out of 10 people go hook, line and sinker for a bigger lie rather than listen to the truth. Maybe its not Behr thats a problem, maybe its the home owners that think everyone is out to rip them off.

Why would a contractor waste his time selling a paint job that cost 2x as much instead of selling a job with specs for Behr paint? Maybe its because hes proud of his, or her, work and wants a product that LASTS, not Behr which will make him look like a SCAB.

Last edited by bobbyacro; 04-11-2009 at 12:55 AM.
bobbyacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #15

I don't mean to cause conflict, but I call shenanigans on this guy.

Quote:
I don't think I have heard a more ridiculous statement in a long time.

Quote:
I edited this to be nice, but I really don't think you know what you are talking about. It's one thing to have paint not cover well. That's fine, we can throw another coat on it. It's another thing to have to babysit paint and put it on so paper-thin in fear of the stuff sagging all over the place. It's also one thing to not be superior paint, fine, we all know how to get the best out of cheaper paint, it's something completely different to have the paint flat out fail.

To educate you, paint on too thick will run. Cheap paint on at the right thinkness will sag. There's a difference.