Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #1

Share |

Behr sucks

I am in the process of remodeling a house I just bought. To get to it i had all my walls and ceilings floated with sheetrock mud to cover up the old texture. After buying 5 5 gallon buckets of behr primer sealer and having to go over everything twice . I proceeded to paint the ceiling with the behr premium ultra white paint ( no tint, just ultra white) seemed to cover ok. Than I proceeded to paint the walls... I bought 3 more 5 gallon buckets of the Behr premium ultra white and had it tinted at home depot to sandstone cove (which is an off white color) after using Behr primer/ sealer I still had to cover over everything twice with a roller just to get the paint to cover properly. If that didnt suck enough I had to cut the walls into the ceiling twice also. Oh man was I pissed off. had I kow I would of spent over $900 on behr paint and it would still take 2 coats to cover I would of wnet and bought some cheap paint and done the same thing. Unfortunately i cant get my money back but I will never again buy Behr paint or any other product from behr again. I will defiantely tell anyone wanting to paint interior walls to stay FAR away from behr paints.

mbeez78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #2

Behr sucks

I don't like Behr either, but, to be honest, primer and 2 coats of paint is generally standard for new drywall. I suppose if you had the primer tinted you could get by with one coat on the walls, but, in my opinion, 2 topcoats gives you the nicest finish. Sorry you had so much trouble.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #3

Behr sucks

i buy the glidden at homers for 17.97 and never have a problem.
i always do 2 coats anyway to get the spots i missed the first time but for the price you cant beat it. i know a lot of people dont like it.
my uncle made the mistake of buying valspar before asking me about paint and ended up having to get another 300.00 worth for the third coat. when he was at lowes the woman said we should told you to prime the walls first. these were previously painted walls and it was the valspar that had primer in it oh well.

Last edited by DannyT; 07-25-2011 at 02:34 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Jack of all - master none

Behr sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
..primer and 2 coats of paint is generally standard for new drywall. I suppose if you had the primer tinted you could get by with one coat on the walls, but, in my opinion, 2 topcoats gives you the nicest finish.
I agree, I don't think there is a paint in existence that gives great results after only one coat. MAYBE if you primed white and painted the same white over it, you wouldn't notice anything - but 2 coats is the way to go.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #5

Behr sucks

Maybe two quotes is the standard but when all the commercials and salespeeps say it's the best it should preform that way. Behr is overrated and way overpriced for what it is.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #6

Behr sucks

I used the behr primer sealer and made sure the walls where all white. The color I used was sandstone cove which is a off white color not to far away from the ultra white I used and I still had to go over it twice.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Behr sucks

If you look, there are hundreds of pages on how Behr is here. You are just the latest.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

Behr sucks

Behr is great, because two is always better than one. With Behr you can prime while you paint and paint while you prime!
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Behr sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Behr is great, because two is always better than one. With Behr you can prime while you paint and paint while you prime!
yes!:thumb sup:
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
NACE Coating Inspector

Behr sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeez78 View Post
Maybe two quotes is the standard but when all the commercials and salespeeps say it's the best it should preform that way. Behr is overrated and way overpriced for what it is.
wow, i think that i may have mentioned this somewhere before. advertised as a top of the line product, priced as one and unbelievable coverage in one coat. why did you use primer/sealer with your paint and primer in one? i will go ahead and answer this for you. HD told you to use a primer/sealer or you did research and found out that this product almost always needs a properly prepaired and primed surface unless you are painting over previously painted surfaces .

Last edited by mustangmike3789; 07-25-2011 at 05:44 PM.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
ltd

Behr sucks

on skimmed walls. primer then 2 top coats, done and done right.

ltd is online now   Reply With Quote