Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Behr Premium Plus or S/W Super Paint?

We just received a bid from a painter to do the outside of our house, not the cheapest, but I really liked his approach to prep, 2 coats, etc. He spec'd the bid with Behr Premium Plus Ultra. Based upon what I've read and my own personal experiences, I told him I prefered to stay away from Behr. He said he'd do the job using Sherwin Williams Super Paint if I wanted for the same money. He then told me he's been using the "Ultra" as of late and feels it is a very good product, better than the Super Paint and comparable to Duration (which I find a bit of a stretch). I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the "Ultra product. As I left it with him, he'd agreed to go with the Super Paint... but I am left wondering if the Behr might indeed be better. He had 2 pages of typed references, and has been painting for over 20 years. It's "possible" the gentleman has just a little more knowledge than I. I appreciate any input, thank you.

bvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Behr has a terrible reputation relative to SW and BM. I'd feel much better with SW Superpaint.

Maybe Behr finally produced a decent paint but there's no way I'd risk it given their tainted reputation.

I'm surprised a professional painter would put up with shopping at Home Crapo??? Does he drive a station wagon and is he a school teacher on summer vacation?

hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvers View Post
We just received a bid from a painter to do the outside of our house, not the cheapest, but I really liked his approach to prep, 2 coats, etc. He spec'd the bid with Behr Premium Plus Ultra. Based upon what I've read and my own personal experiences, I told him I prefered to stay away from Behr. He said he'd do the job using Sherwin Williams Super Paint if I wanted for the same money. He then told me he's been using the "Ultra" as of late and feels it is a very good product, better than the Super Paint and comparable to Duration (which I find a bit of a stretch). I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the "Ultra product. As I left it with him, he'd agreed to go with the Super Paint... but I am left wondering if the Behr might indeed be better. He had 2 pages of typed references, and has been painting for over 20 years. It's "possible" the gentleman has just a little more knowledge than I. I appreciate any input, thank you.
I can personally tell you that SW SuperPaint is a great product, we have used it for years and apply a few hundred gallons of it through out a year, our work is warranted and we have never had SuperPaint fail on any substrate we have put it on, including aluminum, vinyl, hardiboard and masonery. Doese the Behr contain 100% acrylic binders? I would even say that SW A100 is better than Behr, and that's a lower grade
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,102

"better to leave the walls bare than put Behr on the walls"
Attached Thumbnails
Behr Premium Plus or S/W Super Paint?-img_5764.jpg  
Attached Images

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,030

There is a post in here from a Behr rep saying thy addressed the issues with Behr paint. Nothing could be further from the truth. Behr is the same ole crap it has been for a while. Go with the super paint.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the input. I pretty much knew Behr would get blasted, and more importantly that Super Paint is a solid product with a long standing history of success. Again, just wanted to make sure I wasn't "missing" some new technological break through. While I do "trust" this contractor, I have a sneaking suspicion he's been swept off his feet by a Behr rep and is probably getting a great deal on the new "ultra". That said, he is going to use Super Paint on the job, for the same money, and same coats/prep work. Thanks Again!
bvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvers View Post
Thanks for the input. I pretty much knew Behr would get blasted, and more importantly that Super Paint is a solid product with a long standing history of success. Again, just wanted to make sure I wasn't "missing" some new technological break through. While I do "trust" this contractor, I have a sneaking suspicion he's been swept off his feet by a Behr rep and is probably getting a great deal on the new "ultra". That said, he is going to use Super Paint on the job, for the same money, and same coats/prep work. Thanks Again!
With the SuperPaint he will have to spot prime as needed prior to applying the top coat and two coats of paint are recommended. .

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote