Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Behr paint and primer in one

Could someone explain how this is supposed to work. It does not make sense to me mixing the two togeather. I thought primer had a specific purpose and then paint for a top coat.Does it really work or is it just a marketing thing for the depot.

buffdadjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,102

It cannot be explained. Primer DOES have a specific purpose. Pure marketing hype.

"better to leave the walls bare than put Behr on the walls"
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Rewards Points: 150

At $32 or $33 per gallon this product would be the disappointment of the new millennium. My experience with it was miserable. It was one of the worst paints I have applied as far as coverage and application.

Fresh start primer (B.M.) tinted to the wall color, and any quality paint store product in the $30.00 to $40.00 dollar range will out perform the Behr product by extremes.

don't take the bait!!!

run from the cheese!!!

BTW.... In most cases a primer is unnecessary. Two coats of quality paint will suffice.
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

It is the only paint I use!!! I have had great success with it, but I started with builder white walls. It may make some difference if you are trying to cover up old paint, but my personal experience with it has been great!!! Sorry to go against the popular opinions!!! LOL
Crosseyed08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosseyed08 View Post
It is the only paint I use!!! I have had great success with it, but I started with builder white walls. It may make some difference if you are trying to cover up old paint, but my personal experience with it has been great!!! Sorry to go against the popular opinions!!! LOL
everyone has different opinions. i can't speak for others but my gripe with behr is the pigment. it's not as rich as valspar or sherwin williams. i think it covers totally fine though.

as for primer, it's a good idea on bare sheetrock mainly to save you money. you'll put down at least two if not 3 coats to cover new rock and mud. primer will cut that down to 1-2 coats. when you consider drywall primer is $35 for 5 gallons it becomes a cost saver versus $25/gal for paint.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,032

What I don't get is how they get the primer to stay underneath and the paint on top
Matthewt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

"Self-Priming" paints have been around for a while now, with some lines years and years
What's new is there are many more of them now on the market, and the (very successful) H/D marketing blitz touting "Primer In The Paint" (wording difference)

A Few Notes:

Most "self-primers" act as a decent primer under perfect conditions
That means a pure (as it gets) substrate...new drywall, bare wood, etc...
Not for problem areas such as a wallpaper removal, water stain blocking, exterior scrape & sands, etc.

Though I use many self-priming paints, I do not use them as primers on things like bare wood or new drywall for the reason(s) mentioned above (plus some)
I'd rather seal the "coating sucking" bare wood or new drywall with a less expensive "sealing" primer first to save some dough
And frankly (in those cases) I'd rather use an "underbody"-type primer with a higher build and better sand-ability (than most "general purpose" or "adhesion-oriented" primers, or a "self-priming" paint) for a better end result

An exclusion to this rule would be new, properly cured, and high quality plaster job (in the biz a level 5 plaster job)
Then I have no problem just doing two coats of a self-primer
Obviously a level 5 plaster job costs more to begin with, but it does leave a great substrate (doesn't suck coatings and is smooth, smooth, smooth) for self-primers

In my experience over the years, I've noticed a difference in the "paint-suck-ability" of professional drywallers work vs. "part-time Rockers", DIYers or painters who do drywall work quite well (myself included)
So another exclusion might be if the "rocking" was done by a known quality Pro who's work "isn't thirsty"
ie: I'd seal/prime even my own work

In a "scrape-and-sand" exterior, even the "lab boys" at quality (primer in the) paint manufacturers will say "do it the old way" (spot prime with a real primer)
The exclusion(s) would be the tiny spot(s) way up top off the 32' ladder that were missed by the prime crew or some such issues

DTM (direct to metal):
These "self-primers" have been around for ages
But even these surfaces must (should) be new or perfectly prepared before assuming any "self-priming" abilities of the coatings are any worthwhile
"If it ain't like it was off the factory floor, prime it"

And I would be remorse if I didn't add that (in my experience) any/all Behr products suffer in the quality department
My evaluations posted here are for more quality paint companies, for Behr (which are included in my opinions) products figure they are much, much, worse

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote