Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #1

Share |

Behr paint peeling off of fresh drywall in bathroom

Hello - We are having our bathroom renovated. We had brand new dry wall put it. I bought Behr paint and primer combined in white satin finish. When I brought it home the painter insisted I get primer, they said the Behr paint and primer combined would not cover enough. So I went back to Home Depot and got Kilz, the green one with less smell made for drywall and bathrooms. They painted yesterday, when I got home from work I noticed the paint peeling in the corner on the ceiling. What did they do wrong? What did I do wrong? Thanks for any help. Ps. we did not take a shower in the bathroom yet.

marcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #2

did they let the primer dry completely before they painted? is it just the behr that's peeling or is it all peeling?

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #3

Just the paint is peeling off. I wasn't home when they were painting so I have no idea if they let it dry completely. I called Home Depot and they said you need to let the primer dry at least 2 hours before painting. So bummed because it was a fresh start and it's already messed up.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

3 reasons I don't buy paint at HD. Behr. Kilz and the great advice and knowledge that isn't behind the counter.
I will however buy primers that say Zinnser on them.
Gymschu (08-25-2012), user1007 (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcian View Post
Just the paint is peeling off. I wasn't home when they were painting so I have no idea if they let it dry completely. I called Home Depot and they said you need to let the primer dry at least 2 hours before painting. So bummed because it was a fresh start and it's already messed up.

Well, beside what brush said( and agree with) 2 hour dry time is not enough, even if it says so on the can. I do not and would not use either product but I would bet if it was all done in a day, that is the problem. Let it dry for a day or so and see what happens.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #6

Is this just a Behr and Kilz problem or the way it was painted? Only the ceiling has peeled so far....now I'm worried about the rest of the bathroom. They are coming back on Monday to sand and repaint the ceiling. What are the changes the entire bathroom starts to peel when we start taking showers???
Old 08-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #7

I really can't imagine this being a painting problem unless they globbed paint on with a brush and slopped the walls with a roller. Your mistake was buying Behr. Do a search, not only on here, but all over the internet. You will find that Behr paint is the #1 complained about product in the entire cyber world. If the ceiling is peeling it's possible that drywall dust got trapped under the paint film somehow or there is some sort of moisture issue like a vent not working properly in the BR. Just check those types of things before you panic about the paint job.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
marcian (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
3 reasons I don't buy paint at HD. Behr. Kilz and the great advice and knowledge that isn't behind the counter.
I will however buy primers that say Zinnser on them.
Too, too true. If the source of advice is wearing an orange or blue apron run as fast as you can! For the most part, even if you found the one in the store with actual knowledge and experience, they have nothing you need to buy from them. Stay out of those places and especially for paint.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
marcian (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I really can't imagine this being a painting problem unless they globbed paint on with a brush and slopped the walls with a roller. Your mistake was buying Behr. Do a search, not only on here, but all over the internet. You will find that Behr paint is the #1 complained about product in the entire cyber world. If the ceiling is peeling it's possible that drywall dust got trapped under the paint film somehow or there is some sort of moisture issue like a vent not working properly in the BR. Just check those types of things before you panic about the paint job.
True. Even the comments about Behr on the Consumer Reports site mostly fall into the "what the H were you thinking?" as pertains to their rating of Behr paint. Quite funny unless in a situation like yours and you find yourself living it.

If the painters have not done the walls at all yet, I would switch both primer and paint. Take the failed BEHR back and scream for your money back. If you have unopened Kilz, turn that in too.

I am surprised your painters let you pick the paint, and especially Behr. There is a lesson learned if they recommended something else I hope?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
marcian (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #10

Thanks so much for all the help everyone! Home Depot is right down the street, it was convenient for me...I work a lot of hours and I just wanted to pick a paint color. I regret it so much now.

The painter are people hired by the contractor. They are not from here...we have a language barrier.

The entire bathroom is painted, the ceiling was the thing that has peeled.

We have not taken showers in it yet...the water isn't hooked up yet.

How can I fix this? Should they sand everything down? If they sand everything do I need primer again?

If I need primer again can you please recommend one and please recommend a good paint. Both have to be low or no VOC. I can't imagine how much this mistake is going to cost me? I'm so mad at myself.

Thanks again soooo much!!!!

Last edited by marcian; 08-25-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: adding more
Old 08-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

You hired a contractor. It is his responsibility to make it right for you.
Period.
I don't understand how it should cost you at all. He is doing the work. If his guys applied incorrectly ( and really that primer and paint , while not the best , should not fail that easy, I see applicator error. Everyone loves to blame the paint..)

Do not pay him until he does. I expect to satisfy my customers, and my reputation is my business. This does not sound like nit picking , this sounds like he is using people who don't know what they're doing.

It actually isnt and shouldn't be up to you to pick the product, and particularly not to get it. But if that was how the contract ( you do have a contract, right??) was written, you have to work with that.

Your answer does not lie with us, it is with him.
Being educated and informed is not a bad thing on your part though.

If you can take a picture of the problem and post it here it might help.

Last edited by Brushjockey; 08-25-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-26-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 03:45 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

yes ^
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #13
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Hello - We are having our bathroom renovated. We had brand new dry wall put it. I bought Behr paint and primer combined in white satin finish. When I brought it home the painter insisted I get primer, they said the Behr paint and primer combined would not cover enough. So I went back to Home Depot and got Kilz, the green one with less smell made for drywall and bathrooms. They painted yesterday, when I got home from work I noticed the paint peeling in the corner on the ceiling. What did they do wrong? What did I do wrong? Thanks for any help. Ps. we did not take a shower in the bathroom yet.
The products used are okay, though certainly not the top of the line. If they both primed, and painted, within the same day they didn't let the primer set up and cure for a long enough period of time.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
That's stupid advice, but I'm having a hard time understanding why a "professional" painter would do something like that. They should know better.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #15
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
You hired a contractor. It is his responsibility to make it right for you.
Period.
I don't understand how it should cost you at all. He is doing the work. If his guys applied incorrectly ( and really that primer and paint , while not the best , should not fail that easy, I see applicator error. Everyone loves to blame the paint..)

Do not pay him until he does. I expect to satisfy my customers, and my reputation is my business. This does not sound like nit picking , this sounds like he is using people who don't know what they're doing.

It actually isnt and shouldn't be up to you to pick the product, and particularly not to get it. But if that was how the contract ( you do have a contract, right??) was written, you have to work with that.

Your answer does not lie with us, it is with him.
Being educated and informed is not a bad thing on your part though.

If you can take a picture of the problem and post it here it might help.
Right.

There are a lot of things wrong with this scenario - and it all keeps coming back to the painters. Why would they let the homeowner pick any old paint? And why would they not know better than to paint almost immediately after priming?