Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Behr Paint for eaves underside.

The following was posted earlier but it centered on the Benjamin Moore vs Sherwin Williams Paint. Later I asked for an opinion on the Behr paint. Thought I start a new thread since the subject has changed. Aloha.

"Thank you all for the opinion. I ultimately went for the BM due to the pricing; $53.19 for BM vs $57 for SW. Both were transacted at contractor pricing. I had to travel a bit to get the BM paint. I just notice after my trip back at home that I forgot to get the pant for the eaves underside. There's a home depot down the road and being that the eaves underside are not so exposed to the elements like the exterior walls, thought of going with the Behr ultra (primer and paint). Any thoughts on this with going with the Behr paint? Thx."

hawaiiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiboy View Post
The following was posted earlier but it centered on the Benjamin Moore vs Sherwin Williams Paint. Later I asked for an opinion on the Behr paint. Thought I start a new thread since the subject has changed. Aloha.

"Thank you all for the opinion. I ultimately went for the BM due to the pricing; $53.19 for BM vs $57 for SW. Both were transacted at contractor pricing. I had to travel a bit to get the BM paint. I just notice after my trip back at home that I forgot to get the pant for the eaves underside. There's a home depot down the road and being that the eaves underside are not so exposed to the elements like the exterior walls, thought of going with the Behr ultra (primer and paint). Any thoughts on this with going with the Behr paint? Thx."
Clean & prime first. If the eaves are metal, they'll require a different kind of primer.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,098

See original post
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
ltd

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaii boy View Post

"Thank you all for the opinion. I ultimately went for the BM due to the pricing; $53.19 for BM vs $57 for SW. Both were transacted at contractor pricing. I had to travel a bit to get the BM paint. I just notice after my trip back at home that I forgot to get the pant for the eaves underside. There's a home depot down the road and being that the eaves underside are not so exposed to the elements like the exterior walls, thought of going with the Behr ultra (primer and paint). Any thoughts on this with going with the Behr paint? That."
would not be my first choice ,but with proper prep as with any paint i would say you will be all right .
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
See original post
Despite your incessant and irrational hatred of it, the Behr Paint will work just fine in that particular application.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Despite your incessant and irrational hatred of it, the Behr Paint will work just fine in that particular application.
For a week or two. If you can apply it without spitting forth words of the devil and having the too-high-water-content complete coat your sunglasses as it drips.

You know, the underside of eaves are not my favorite thing to paint when I think about it. I certainly, having made a responsible choice for the rest of my exterior paint job, would not compromise and sink so low as BEHR. And look forward to repainting the eaves long before the real paint needed touch up and attention.

Last edited by user1007; 12-29-2011 at 10:51 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
For a week or two. If you can apply it without spitting forth words of the devil and having the too-high-water-content complete coat your sunglasses as it drips.

You know, the underside of eaves are not my favorite thing to paint when I think about it. I certainly, having made a responsible choice for the rest of my exterior paint job, would not compromise and sink so low as BEHR. And look forward to repainting the eaves long before the real paint needed touch up and attention.
Blah, blah, blah...

Proper surface preparation, and paint application, is far more important than worshiping at the altar of Overpriced Paint.

Last edited by DrHicks; 12-29-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
incessant? well maybe irrational? I think not. I speak from plenty of personal experience. It MIGHT work but again, from personal experience,Behr makes no quality products, especially exterior.

I will say NO MORE on this "incessant and irrational hatred" of said subject
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I will say NO MORE on this "incessant and irrational hatred" of said subject
Yes you will Bubba and thank you in advance! Consumer Reports, by the way, is backing off their rating of BEHRly paint largely because I would assume posts about it to the CR site itself are beyond embarrassing. They are suggesting most "sheens" of Benjamin Moore interior paints are a better choice. They still argue the price point as part of their original rating of BEHRly paint. It is a graceful way for them to wiggle out.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,090

And if you never want to have to deal with this again get the fashics wrapped and vinyl soffits installed.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
And if you never want to have to deal with this again get the fashics wrapped and vinyl soffits installed.
the what? Oh- Fascia.