Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #1

Share |

Behr and Consumer Reports

Hi!

I've been a long time lurker around here and I have a pretty good feeling that people suggest using Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore compared to Behr. Why is it that Consumer Reports ranks the flat and matte Behr as #1, Benjamin Moore #4, and SW #8?

Like everybody else here, I just want to use a great product. I've always had good luck following consumer reports, but wondered if anybody had any ideas.

Thanks in advance!
wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #2

no clue, someones pockets were probably padded. behr CAN be good if you get a decent can, the paint is just really inconsistent. for the same price as behr you can get SW pro mar 200 or classic 99, same thing every time you open the can. also MUCH easier to do trim work with. unless you get the higher end line both behr and valspar are thin which is fine for an airless but will tick you off if you're brushing. if your nearest SW was 100 miles away and home depot a block away i could see using behr, if it's even in the same city i would always drive to SW. the paint is easier to work with, has better pigment, is closer on the color cards and doesn't leave you wondering if it will turn out right.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz561 View Post
Hi!

I've been a long time lurker around here and I have a pretty good feeling that people suggest using Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore compared to Behr. Why is it that Consumer Reports ranks the flat and matte Behr as #1, Benjamin Moore #4, and SW #8?

Like everybody else here, I just want to use a great product. I've always had good luck following consumer reports, but wondered if anybody had any ideas.

Thanks in advance!
I read the CR paint report last year and was unmoved by their criteria. They found Behr to be superior only because of greater colorfastness and (I believe) scrubability. Those are definitely two qualities that should be present in any decent coating, but they are not at the top of my list either as a person who applies the paint or as an enduser. I think for low end interior work like apartment rentals or low end commercial, where you want a single paint job to be adequate and serviceable for as long as possible, Behr might be a fit. I would NEVER use Behr on an exterior, on a deck, or anywhere on my house.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz561 View Post
Hi!

Thanks in advance!
$$$$ talks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz561
Hi!

Thanks in advance!
Hey does a bear sh%# in the woods? Nope it does it the can at homedepot.
ianc435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:11 AM   #6

I got the impression that Consumer Reports just slaps or rollers or swabs a patch of paint onto a piece of plywood or drywall, then lets it dry and subjects it to whatever wear and tear and sunlight they want to.

Pictures of their laboratories (several years ago) show squares of paint samples on racks or in an abrasion machine.

This means that the ease of edging and brushing gets overlooked.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #7

I painted a few rooms in my house this past summer. My office was a light tan going medium gray. Took two coats with the stuff from Lows (I think it was Valspar). Went on great, no problems.

I was in Home Depot and decided to paint my wifes office from a light tan to a medium green. I told the lady in Home Depot that I didn't want the Paint and primer in one stuff... just paint. She kept insisting on it because she said it was the best stuff and would go on with just two coats. I should have walked out, but instead I just paid the extra few bucks to get the paint and primer in one. Went home and it took 3 coats for that stuff to cover. My office is around 12x12 took 1 can of valspar... my wifes office is 10x10 and it took 1 1/2 cans of Behr. behr is junk
ricksample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #8

naturally, valspar is a better paint than behr, but, it still has one major issue compared to SW. valspar is much more difficult to do trim work with due to how thin it is. covers alright, sprays great but at $25 a gallon is actually $2 more than i pay for pro mar 200.

just for the LOL'z this same thread is going on over on honda tech

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2862003

this is a car forum talking about paint, oddly enough, the people sound exactly like this thread

Last edited by racebum; 11-17-2010 at 12:11 AM.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #9

Consumer Reports......no longer something I even "listen" to. I've seen them just not follow what the actual customers report about products.

About Behr exterior---2 limited experiences first hand, and 1 3rd hand:

My mother painted her first deck with Behr and was so happy that she wouldn't have to paint again for 18 years. The paint started chipping off after 2-3 years. I remember her cussing up a storm. Jeez.

I used Behr on my fence and it started peeling off after 2-3 years as well.

CAVEAT: In *all* cases there can be an argument made that the application was incorrect. Wrong primer, wet wood, whatever else I've heard. So take the comments with the famous grain of salt.

The 3rd hand info came from my deck builder. He said under no circumstances to use any Home Depot branded product, especially Behr.

Take it or leave it. I use Cabot. Pretty good results, but you *must* add anti-fungal.
tgm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
Citrix & Cisco Ops

Within 2 years, I had to retouch pretty much all of my exterior applications of Behr paint. (front door, garage door and back door... metal and wood surfaces.) Primed with Glidden Gripper.

Never had any problems with BM, meanwhile.

Basically, whenever I need the paint to exhibit any durability whatsoever, I avoid Behr.
RedHelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHelix
Within 2 years, I had to retouch pretty much all of my exterior applications of Behr paint. (front door, garage door and back door... metal and wood surfaces.) Primed with Glidden Gripper.

Never had any problems with BM, meanwhile.

Basically, whenever I need the paint to exhibit any durability whatsoever, I avoid Behr.
So basically everwhere except ceilings.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

I would'nt paint my dog's house with it, let alone a perfectly good ceiling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn
I would'nt paint my dog's house with it, let alone a perfectly good ceiling.
Would you let your dog paint his own house, iwould make him or at least tie the brush to his tail and tell him he is a really good boy.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #14

Look, if anyone knows the criteria for anyone to chose Behr paints over another brand, I'd like to meet and buy a lunch for that person - but I really think he/she doesn't exist. Or if they're out there they keep a low profile.

See, it's not in CR's interest to publish the criteria they use to make their decisions - their audience isn't pro painters - it's the VeryAverageConsumer and the VeryAverageConsumer likes to drive a financed SUV to a nice, bright stores where they can buy a lampshade or two and a screwdriver as an investment, where their fat behinds can waddle unhindered along the isles, where they can ask silly questions and feel important - and where they can buy their burgers and shakes to stuff to their 2 obese kids...

OK that's a bit harsh - but that's pretty close to the US VeryAverageConsumer as you'll get. And, this audience cares more about convenience, about saving something (like effort), about the perception that the bigger the store the better they know stuff. Look, "scrubbability" isn't even in their vocabulary - let alone understand what it is...and they don't give a toss about it anyway.

So the criteria are in fact designed for their audience, to read and feel 'knowledgeable' about because a magazine said so. It's all part of the dumbing down of North America, you guys more than us, so can you blame CR for talking to these people in a language they understand and in return for printing subsidies?

Oh sure, they'll swear official tests were done at great expenses - but as a scientist, I am not swayed by frilly pseudoscientific prose and so "test" is just another 4-letter word.

No, sir. I'd trust some on-line board of pro painters with experience quicker that I would CR for paint tests. All the real-world evidence has been in for years, try it you'll see.

But don't buy it. Unless you are a VeryAverageConsumer - and if that's so then you'll deserve the bad job you'll get.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
Paint Store

JD Power rates Pratt and Lambert (owned by Sherwin Williams, but higher end stuff) and Benjamin Moore 1 and 2 respectively.
DCCenter is offline   Reply With Quote