Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #1

Share |

Beginner questions

I have a large room to paint with a color I selected at Lowes (Valspar paint) where it was custom mixed. I've purchased 3 gallons but I have a hunch I'll need more.

My question is this: Should I mix all 3 gallons together before I start to ensure consistent color? If so, are there any tricks to mixing and storing?

I'm thinking I could fashion a wire coat hanger into a mixing tool and use it with my cordless drill to mix it all up in a 5 gallon bucket... but how would I store it if I don't use it all in one day? Should I purchase some empty gallon cans and pour it into those?

suggestions welcome.

deko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #2

Beginner questions

Yes, box the paint (mix it all together in 5'er). The can the paint came in should give a coverage rate (ex 350 sg ft per gal). It would be best to be sure you have enough paint since you are having to mix it all together.

You do not want the paint to freeze during storage. Try to make sure the container lid seals off good. Keeping the lip of the bucket clean helps with this.

When I work out of a 5'er, I tend to keep it stirred from time to time during the project to keep the colorants dispersed in the paint.

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #3

Beginner questions

Absolutely mix them all together. I would put a little water in it as well. Maybe about 1/8 cup. A stir stick will do just fine. If you have a lid for the 5 gallon bucket than that will do, if not just putting some plastic over the pail will do just fine for a day or so.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #4

Beginner questions

Sounds good... I'll go with the 5 gal bucket and plastic over the top as needed.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Beginner questions

Or, for longer storage ,pour the leftover back in the cans it came out of
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #6

Beginner questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Or, for longer storage ,pour the leftover back in the cans it came out of
I just needed to get through a few days while working on the project. Storing paint after I'm finished with it is another conversation.

The only way I will store paint is in one-quart cans (empty ones purchased for storage) and never more than one quart at a time. I don't care how much is left over--all but one quart gets thrown out. I write the info from the label on the quart can along with the date purchased. If it stays on the shelf more than 7 years, it gets chucked.

Aside from that, I always buy new paint and supplies. The cost of new paint and materials is completely insignificant compared to the labor involved in prepping and painting.

If you calculate the cost of storing paint--the climate-controlled space it takes up, the effort to inventory it, the risk of poor results from using aged materials---it's just not worth it. Storing paint is a suckers game.