Beat To Death! Wallpaper - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
self help

Rewards Points: 25

Beat to death! Wallpaper

Moving out to my hallway and foyer, we are in the process of taking the wallpaper down. It looks like Im going to be able to steam off all the "adhesive"! I plan on reapplying different wallpaper to the top half of the wall and wainscoting on the bottom.

My question is, is it ok for me to just prime the walls with Zinsser Bullseye or do I need gardz or special wallpaper primer?

Thanks

Advertisement

bigjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Beat to death! Wallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon View Post
Moving out to my hallway and foyer, we are in the process of taking the wallpaper down. It looks like Im going to be able to steam off all the "adhesive"! I plan on reapplying different wallpaper to the top half of the wall and wainscoting on the bottom.

My question is, is it ok for me to just prime the walls with Zinsser Bullseye or do I need gardz or special wallpaper primer?

Thanks
Bigjon, you've been paying attention in class. Chrisn will be proud and smiling in the morning when he sees your progress.
I'll leave it for the paper pros, like Chrisn, to answer formally, but I think you can just roll the paper right over the surface if it was properly sized before the last install. I will recommend that you apply the paper first so that it runs behind the chair rail of the wainscot. Makes for a much cleaner looking finish. Joe

Advertisement

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

Beat to death! Wallpaper

i have never used bulls eye, if it drys to a flat finish then no . you need a primer that is a little slick so you can move around your paper and also it wont absorb all your paste. i like zinsser shieldz it will gripe .and leave a slick surface for easy installation and latter removal. but like joe said if it is already primed just go for it .
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Beat to death! Wallpaper

I use gardz after stripping both to prepare for new paper ( much better than Sheildz IMO) and to prep for painting ( seals back any adhesive residue.

you can paint over it no prob- great actually. I always reprime with it even if i am rehanging because the stripping weakens what ever was on the wall, and you want to protect the wall so you can easily strip in the future.

JS- loose the word size- totally irrelevant now. Size was a watered down paste- used with plaster walls and pulp paper. Not in modern usage at all.

Last edited by Brushjockey; 10-24-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (10-24-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #5

Beat to death! Wallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
I use gardz after stripping both to prepare for new paper ( much better than Sheildz IMO) and to prep for painting ( seals back any adhesive residue.

you can paint over it no prob- great actually. I always reprime with it even if i am rehanging because the stripping weakens what ever was on the wall, and you want to protect the wall so you can easily strip in the future.

JS- loose the word size- totally irrelevant now. Size was a watered down paste- used with plaster walls and pulp paper. Not in modern usage at all.
Easy on me, I'm old. I'm still trying to banish "glue" from my vocab. Don't overload me. Can't "size" just be a generic word, a verb, for applying a coating, any coating, prior to hanging paper, please.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

Beat to death! Wallpaper

You mean like glue?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:54 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 510

Beat to death! Wallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post

You can still buy actual specialty sizing. I don't know if it is strictly necessary anymore with the prevalence of acrylic primer/sealers, but it still exists in practice and in the lexicon, at least where I am.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

Beat to death! Wallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Easy on me, I'm old. I'm still trying to banish "glue" from my vocab. Don't overload me. Can't "size" just be a generic word, a verb, for applying a coating, any coating, prior to hanging paper, please.
Hey, I'm old too, no excuse.

NO, it cannot. NO more sizing, NO more glue no, no ,no, no, no.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:39 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Beat to death! Wallpaper

Back to the question, I would also just prime with Gardz.

and yes, the proper term " adhesive " did make my morning
Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #10
self help

Rewards Points: 25

Beat to death! Wallpaper

thanks, I'll get some gardz then... will be a little while before I get to hang the paper, just starting to prep for removal now.
bigjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

Beat to death! Wallpaper

Be careful if you use one of those circular aligator teeth (lol, for the life of me I can't rememmber what they are called)
I used it to perforate an old wallpaper, used a wee bit too much elbow greese and ended up having to putty, sand, repete, my entire basement stairway.
I shiver just thinking back on it....!
mrs fix it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #12

Beat to death! Wallpaper

Thanks MrsFixit, I couldn't agree more. Paper tigers, imo, have relatively little value. Vinyl coated paper over plaster walls, where steam can be used, is really the only circumstance where they really might work effectively. As you stated, they can do damage, and they perforate an already difficult paper to remove into even tinier little pieces. The tiny size holes do not allow enough water penetration to effectively soak the backing. Steam penetrates and "fits" throught holes better. I've had one for about, well, since I started, and probably have only used it 2-3 times, with each effort ending in frustration and disappointment. IMO, it's just another gadget.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Beat to death! Wallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Thanks MrsFixit, I couldn't agree more. Paper tigers, imo, have relatively little value. Vinyl coated paper over plaster walls, where steam can be used, is really the only circumstance where they really might work effectively. As you stated, they can do damage, and they perforate an already difficult paper to remove into even tinier little pieces. The tiny size holes do not allow enough water penetration to effectively soak the backing. Steam penetrates and "fits" throught holes better. I've had one for about, well, since I started, and probably have only used it 2-3 times, with each effort ending in frustration and disappointment. IMO, it's just another gadget.
Well now, I am going to respectfully disagree with you there. For the home owner it certainly is a tool of mass destruction but in the hands of someone with a more gentle touch ( me) it is a money making tool. I have stripped thousands, yes, thousands, of rolls of paper and gone through probably 10 sets of teeth with the tiger. I cannot see stripping paper without one. The steamer( IMO) is the waste of time, at least for me.I have tried every and all methods of paper removal and the tiger is an integral part of my system. So there.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
Rubbin walls since'79

Beat to death! Wallpaper

A tiger lover comes out of the closet! lol

I use 30 grit sandpaper
Old 10-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

Beat to death! Wallpaper

I love putting fabric softner(diluted) in a spray bottle of hot water. About 2 tablespoons, that and the house smells fantastic!

Advertisement

mrs fix it is offline   Reply With Quote