DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Beat to death! Wallpaper (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/beat-death-wallpaper-121179/)

bigjon 10-24-2011 06:29 PM

Beat to death! Wallpaper
 
Moving out to my hallway and foyer, we are in the process of taking the wallpaper down. It looks like Im going to be able to steam off all the "adhesive"! :thumbsup: I plan on reapplying different wallpaper to the top half of the wall and wainscoting on the bottom.

My question is, is it ok for me to just prime the walls with Zinsser Bullseye or do I need gardz or special wallpaper primer?

Thanks

jsheridan 10-24-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjon (Post 755934)
Moving out to my hallway and foyer, we are in the process of taking the wallpaper down. It looks like Im going to be able to steam off all the "adhesive"! :thumbsup: I plan on reapplying different wallpaper to the top half of the wall and wainscoting on the bottom.

My question is, is it ok for me to just prime the walls with Zinsser Bullseye or do I need gardz or special wallpaper primer?

Thanks

Bigjon, you've been paying attention in class. :thumbsup: Chrisn will be proud and smiling in the morning when he sees your progress. :laughing:
I'll leave it for the paper pros, like Chrisn, to answer formally, but I think you can just roll the paper right over the surface if it was properly sized before the last install. I will recommend that you apply the paper first so that it runs behind the chair rail of the wainscot. Makes for a much cleaner looking finish. Joe

ltd 10-24-2011 08:20 PM

i have never used bulls eye, if it drys to a flat finish then no . you need a primer that is a little slick so you can move around your paper and also it wont absorb all your paste. i like zinsser shieldz it will gripe .and leave a slick surface for easy installation and latter removal. but like joe said if it is already primed just go for it .

Brushjockey 10-24-2011 09:52 PM

I use gardz after stripping both to prepare for new paper ( much better than Sheildz IMO) and to prep for painting ( seals back any adhesive residue.

you can paint over it no prob- great actually. I always reprime with it even if i am rehanging because the stripping weakens what ever was on the wall, and you want to protect the wall so you can easily strip in the future.

JS- loose the word size- totally irrelevant now. Size was a watered down paste- used with plaster walls and pulp paper. Not in modern usage at all.

jsheridan 10-24-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brushjockey (Post 756102)
I use gardz after stripping both to prepare for new paper ( much better than Sheildz IMO) and to prep for painting ( seals back any adhesive residue.

you can paint over it no prob- great actually. I always reprime with it even if i am rehanging because the stripping weakens what ever was on the wall, and you want to protect the wall so you can easily strip in the future.

JS- loose the word size- totally irrelevant now. Size was a watered down paste- used with plaster walls and pulp paper. Not in modern usage at all.

Easy on me, I'm old. I'm still trying to banish "glue" from my vocab. Don't overload me.:laughing: Can't "size" just be a generic word, a verb, for applying a coating, any coating, prior to hanging paper, please.:laughing:

Brushjockey 10-24-2011 11:00 PM

:thumbup:You mean like glue?

Windows 10-25-2011 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brushjockey (Post 756102)

JS- loose the word size- totally irrelevant now. Size was a watered down paste- used with plaster walls and pulp paper. Not in modern usage at all.

You can still buy actual specialty sizing. I don't know if it is strictly necessary anymore with the prevalence of acrylic primer/sealers, but it still exists in practice and in the lexicon, at least where I am.

chrisn 10-25-2011 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsheridan (Post 756112)
Easy on me, I'm old.:eek: I'm still trying to banish "glue" from my vocab. Don't overload me.:laughing: Can't "size" just be a generic word, a verb, for applying a coating, any coating, prior to hanging paper, please.:laughing:

Hey, I'm old too, no excuse.:yes:



NO, it cannot. NO more sizing, NO more glue no, no ,no, no, no.:no::no::no::no:

chrisn 10-25-2011 05:39 AM

Back to the question, I would also just prime with Gardz.:whistling2:


and yes, the proper term " adhesive " did make my morning

bigjon 10-25-2011 06:24 AM

thanks, I'll get some gardz then... will be a little while before I get to hang the paper, just starting to prep for removal now.

mrs fix it 10-25-2011 08:18 AM

Be careful if you use one of those circular aligator teeth (lol, for the life of me I can't rememmber what they are called)
I used it to perforate an old wallpaper, used a wee bit too much elbow greese and ended up having to putty, sand, repete, my entire basement stairway.
I shiver just thinking back on it....!

jsheridan 10-25-2011 08:56 AM

Thanks MrsFixit, I couldn't agree more. Paper tigers, imo, have relatively little value. Vinyl coated paper over plaster walls, where steam can be used, is really the only circumstance where they really might work effectively. As you stated, they can do damage, and they perforate an already difficult paper to remove into even tinier little pieces. The tiny size holes do not allow enough water penetration to effectively soak the backing. Steam penetrates and "fits" throught holes better. I've had one for about, well, since I started, and probably have only used it 2-3 times, with each effort ending in frustration and disappointment. IMO, it's just another gadget.

chrisn 10-25-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsheridan (Post 756337)
Thanks MrsFixit, I couldn't agree more. Paper tigers, imo, have relatively little value. Vinyl coated paper over plaster walls, where steam can be used, is really the only circumstance where they really might work effectively. As you stated, they can do damage, and they perforate an already difficult paper to remove into even tinier little pieces. The tiny size holes do not allow enough water penetration to effectively soak the backing. Steam penetrates and "fits" throught holes better. I've had one for about, well, since I started, and probably have only used it 2-3 times, with each effort ending in frustration and disappointment. IMO, it's just another gadget.

Well now, I am going to respectfully disagree with you there. For the home owner it certainly is a tool of mass destruction but in the hands of someone with a more gentle touch ( me) it is a money making tool. I have stripped thousands, yes, thousands, of rolls of paper and gone through probably 10 sets of teeth with the tiger. I cannot see stripping paper without one. The steamer( IMO) is the waste of time, at least for me.I have tried every and all methods of paper removal and the tiger is an integral part of my system. So there.:whistling2:

Brushjockey 10-25-2011 05:35 PM

A tiger lover comes out of the closet! lol:laughing:

I use 30 grit sandpaper

mrs fix it 10-25-2011 06:17 PM

I love putting fabric softner(diluted) in a spray bottle of hot water. About 2 tablespoons, that and the house smells fantastic!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.