Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #1

Share |
Smile

bathroom walls

Hi everyone,
I am in the middle of redoing my bathroom walls. This is my first project of this type. I removed wall paper that had been up for at least the 15yrs I've lived here. But, it is what was underneath the wall paper that has had me stumped.....see attached pictures. I believe these walls have always been covered in paper.

I have touched up alot of areas with mud and reseamed some joints. There also seems to be two different types of texture on the top vs the bottom of the wall. I'm unsure how smooth the wall actually needs to be before I start priming. I plan on adding some light texture to the paint to help hide some of the imperfections.

All input would be appreciated as I am unsure on a number of steps.

Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom walls-post.jpg   bathroom walls-post1.jpg   bathroom walls-post2.jpg   bathroom walls-post3.jpg  

sheilagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #2

bathroom walls

Sheila, is that another layer of paper? I see texture but not sure if it is texture from paper still there or from the backing of the removed paper. It looks a little like a layer of sanitest, an old wallpaper.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #3

bathroom walls

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the reply. There is not any paper left. I have lightly sanded the surface also before patching with mud. The dark surfaces are what was under the paper and you can see a slight texture that was also there under the paper. I thought maybe this was lightly textured originally, but there is such a difference between the top and bottom drywall that it's hard to say.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

bathroom walls

It looks to me like the walls were originally finished in a spray spatter texture, and then papered over later. Do you have that type of texture on the walls in other places in your house?
Also, after stripping, make sure that you have washed off all the paste residue. This is very important to keep your new finish from failing. Then prime with a thin clear primer called Gardz, by Zinsser. This will seal any residue left and make everything stable.
If you want a smooth wall, at this point it will need to be skimmed, usually twice, with a taping compound, sanded, reprimed and then painted. Very challenging for a DIY.
I do recommend bringing in a pro for this.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
ltd

bathroom walls

i mean who knows for sure with out beginning their up close and personal here's what i think. the tan color is original paint the white is a skim coat to try to smooth out texture for wallcovering . scrub walls with green scrub pads and a lot of hot water and some of past remover then .you may be able to remove the white skim coat for the most part to a point where all texture is uniform.then prime zinsser cover stain .then 2 coats quality satin or semi latex paint .what the other guys said was good advice to. or is that white a paper backing
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

bathroom walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
i mean who knows for sure with out beginning their up close and personal here's what i think. the tan color is original paint the white is a skim coat to try to smooth out texture for wallcovering . scrub walls with green scrub pads and a lot of hot water and some of past remover then .you may be able to remove the white skim coat for the most part to a point where all texture is uniform.then prime zinsser cover stain .then 2 coats quality satin or semi latex paint .what the other guys said was good advice to. or is that white a paper backing

I think we are all seeing different things and as posted, without being there, who knows. To me, it looks like a layer of clay adhesive it still on there and further removal in necessary. Anyway, until ALL the adhesive( paste) is removed, nothing can or should be done.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #7

bathroom walls

Thanks for all of the advice! For now I'm going to continue to scrape the loose stuff, smooth the rough stuff with mud, sand and clean with TSP. I'll then roll on a coat Gardz and then roll on some texture. Does anyone foresee any problems I may have with this process? I would love to remove the soffit, but I think I would be biting off more than I could handle alone.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #8

bathroom walls

I would reduce everything to the level you can, do your cleaning, and then proceed to spackle and finish. Why clean the new stuff you put on, and the new stuff you are putting on would benefit from a clean surface.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote