Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Bathroom Remodel - Revisited

Short Background - My bathroom ceiling had been peeling a little for a few months, so i decided that I needed to get up there and fix it before it got REALLY bad. Closer inspection revealed a little mold problem so acting on advice from members of this forum, I got myself some x-14 and some zinsser BIN primer to cover up stains. After I started the scraping process i realized there were a lot of places that appeared to be peeling, yet not coming up enough to scrape or sand. A member then reccomended zinsser GARDZ for this problem area.

Finally, back to scraping, i found a spot where the paint peeled all the way back to bare sheetrock (not greenboard) I kept going at it and before I knew it, half my bathroom ceiling was bare sheetrock, and it was damp too. It didn't appear that they used any type of primer at all either. So I decided just to demo the ceiling, and put up some greenboard.

Question : Should any of the previously mentioned products be used on my ceiling to help prevent this problem in the future or should I just return them?

The wife wants a dark brown color with white fixtures... Whats a good choice as far as brand/finish for a brown paint in a bathroom? (No windows) Would anything Home Depot carries be good for this?

P.S. I've already changed out the dated exhaust fan/heater and replaced it with a 100CFM wired to come on whenever the light does.

Any other suggestions that I haven't covered or solicited, please feel free to interject.

Thanks

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bathroom Remodel - Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Question : Should any of the previously mentioned products be used on my ceiling to help prevent this problem in the future or should I just return them?
In as much as the problem (mold/damp) wasn't caused by the paint, primer, or lack thereof, the products (Gardz, B-I-N) won't prevent the problem from happening again
The lack of primer certainly helped the failure along, but probably wasn't "the" cause
The problem (moisture) must be fixed

In helping to prevent moisture from causing failure, such as primer for new rock in a bathroom, I wouldn't suggest either off-hand (though I rely heavily on both for other situations)
I would suggest Zinsser's 123, or the appropriate Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams primer

Quote:
The wife wants a dark brown color with white fixtures... Whats a good choice as far as brand/finish for a brown paint in a bathroom? (No windows) Would anything Home Depot carries be good for this?
Your best quality bath paints are from a paint store
I would not trust an HD paint in this environment

Although Zinsser's Perma-White is the most amazing bath paint ever, it doesn't tint well past light tints and pastels
Dark brown, my first choice would be Moore's K&B made by Ben Moore
Eggshell or shinier-I don't think most bath paints even come in flat
I hear from other pros the SW bath paint is good also, I haven't used it
Quote:
P.S. I've already changed out the dated exhaust fan/heater and replaced it with a 100CFM wired to come on whenever the light does.
That should help, especially if vented properly and left on for 20 after showers

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote