Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom Painting - Issues

My project includes painting the walls, window trim, door, and all cabinets.....The Wall: removed all wallpaper, washed off all glue with vinegar and water, then washed and rinsed with TSP. Plainted with Kilz primer (2 coats). Painted with Ace Hardware Paint. No probems here. Window Trim and Door: Were previously painted. I have cleaned, sanded areas needed, cleaned with tsp and rinsed. Painted this with Zinsser 123 (2 coats). After 2 days I begain painting with Valspaar and the paint is gooey going on. Not smoothly has in other projects. It just feels gooey. Going on terrible, looks terrible. Does anybody have any thoughts on what my problem is? Thank You!

Bradenbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,220

Bad batch......return it, get your refund and go to Sherwin-Williams.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,128

Is it an enamel instead of reguler latex paint by chance?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradenbunch View Post
My project includes painting the walls, window trim, door, and all cabinets.....The Wall: removed all wallpaper, washed off all glue with vinegar and water, then washed and rinsed with TSP. Plainted with Kilz primer (2 coats). Painted with Ace Hardware Paint. No probems here. Window Trim and Door: Were previously painted. I have cleaned, sanded areas needed, cleaned with tsp and rinsed. Painted this with Zinsser 123 (2 coats). After 2 days I begain painting with Valspaar and the paint is gooey going on. Not smoothly has in other projects. It just feels gooey. Going on terrible, looks terrible. Does anybody have any thoughts on what my problem is? Thank You!
Hi - prep sounds ok to me. I haven't used TSP in years but never had an issue with it. Sounds like the paint just isn't thin enough. I'd try mixing a little bit say a cup full with about a tablespoon of Floetrol and try it on some scrap.. see what happens.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,052

Yep, we get gooey paint all the time. I like a nice flow to my paint so I am almost always adding a touch of water to my paint.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for everyone's responses! I double-checked the paint is laytex. I do have some Floetrol and will try that. PS I just read on another site that with Zinsser 123 do NOT use TSP for cleaning! I know I rinsed the TSP off very well, but maybe that's my problem?!!
Bradenbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

my son's wife bought valspar paint. 6 months later the trim was still sticky enough for a box that had fallen behind the couch to be stuck to it. my uncle painted his whole house with valspar paint. 3 coats and 1200.00 dollars later it was painted. benjamin moore's impervo is excellent trim paint and sherwin williams makes good paint also.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "gooey", but if it's drying OK, I think I gotta agree with John and Matthew - it may just need to be thinned or conditioned a bit for better application and flow. I also don't know which product from Valspar you're using, but many of the "new age" acrylics on the market today are a little more difficult to apply - they can feel kind of thick and sticky while they're being applied, but usually flow out very well (unless you over-brush it, then they don't flow so well)...Wait a day or so, then lightly sand with a no-fil sandpaper meant for sanding latex finishes. Try thinning the paint about 5% with water and apply with a quality brush and/or short nap cover. Remember, it's better to apply 2 thin coats than 1 heavy coat - and when applying, try not to overwork the product. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Thank you for everyone's responses! I double-checked the paint is laytex. I do have some Floetrol and will try that. PS I just read on another site that with Zinsser 123 do NOT use TSP for cleaning! I know I rinsed the TSP off very well, but maybe that's my problem?!!
Sorry for the 2 back-to-back responses, but it's not the TSP. The reason some companies recommend not to use TSP has more to do with the person's inability to mix and use according to package directions...mixed at too strong of a mixture and it can really wreak havoc on an existing finish - but the more common problem comes from not rinsing with clean water after your detergent wash. TSP is a great all purpose detergent and, if used properly, will not interfere with the application, flow or cure of a subsequent coating. For general cleaning and painting surface prep though, there are other products that work very well without the caveats that come with TSP...Dirtex Powder (not spray) and Soilax are both non-sudsing mild detergents that are safe to use, more environmentally friendly than TSP, because they're non-sudsing they won't require a neutralizing rinse and since they're phosphate free, they won't contribute to mildew growth if not rinsed properly. Best of luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (12-08-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,172

Quote:

Right there is the problem
Go to a real paint store and get some GOOD paint.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

The stickiness is called blocking- and some paints have it worse than others.
A paint with higher quality acrylic resins will have less of it- This is one of the things that makes some paints cost more than others.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
The stickiness is called blocking- and some paints have it worse than others.
A paint with higher quality acrylic resins will have less of it- This is one of the things that makes some paints cost more than others.
That's sort of a true statement...One of the downsides of acrylic coatings are their sensitivity to heat and humidity - they are thermoplastic coatings (as all coatings are only to differing degrees). In this reference, blocking is caused by stacking objects painted with a semi, or partially cured acrylic coating - OR - by stacking objects painted with a fully cured acrylic in higher temps and/or humidity...and this doesn't have to be St. Louis-in-July type humidity. Unfortunately, when speaking of conventional acrylic resins, this has always been sort of an accepted dis-advantage of acrylics, hopefully offset by its' many other advantages...

That's one of the exciting characteristics of these "new age" acrylics - along with their fabulous adhesion, relatively quick cure rate, relatively hard dried film, excellent flow and leveling - they also have a thermoplastic reaction more similar to that of alkyd coatings. In other words, less apt to block. They are safer to use on entrance doors, that come in contact with rubber weather stripping, without as much fear of lifting due to blocking. One other characteristic is, while they're available in a range of sheens, their natural state is extremely high gloss (higher than alkyds, more similar to urethanes). These new age or second gen acrylics are typically used in acrylic floor enamels, DTM's, Ultra Premium Interior/Exterior Enamels - but rarely used in house paints due to flexibility concerns.

These acrylics have been around a while and probably shouldn't be called new age anymore. Unlike the more conventional acrylics, they can be a little temperamental during application - tends to "drag" a little, can produce runs and sags if applied to heavily, doesn't flow well if over-worked - which kinda sounds like some of the problems experienced when painting the doors and trim. If this were a product specifically recommended for doors and trim, it's very possible this type of resin was used, especially when compared to the application experience with the Ace brand product.

...and regarding this particular thread, I can't speak much on Valspar products other than they are one of the nation's big ones. They have tremendous industrial and floor coatings, but they made dramatic changes to their architectural program 10 or 12 years ago (apparently to accommodate Lowes and chain store accts.) - I don't know that their quality has changed, but a few years back at least, they made a pretty high quality product.

Last edited by ric knows paint; 12-09-2011 at 07:37 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
jschaben (12-08-2011), jsheridan (12-08-2011)