Bathroom Painting Gone Wrong!!! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom Painting gone wrong!!!

Hi everyone. Topic shouldnt say "painting" as I only made it to the primer stage.

Stripped the walls of wallpaper and removed what glue remained using hot water and dishwashing soap. Once the walls were clean, I sanded everything with 220 grit paper, then washed a final time with soap and water.

Put on a coat of Zinsser BIN shellac based primer and let it dry for 24 hours before using the shower.

I wouldnt have a chance to top coat for a week, so the shower was used as usual for the next 5 days. Primer didnt last that long! Peeling started around the 3rd day after painting. Funny thing is, it peeled only from half way up the wall to the ceiling? Basically from the floor up to about 36" the primer stuck?

This is in a well ventilated bathroom with an exhaust fan on a timer.

Spent the day, scraping and sanding to get the walls flat, dont want to go through that again!

Appreciate any ideas to point me in the right direction to avoid this mess again, thanks everyone.

Advertisement

scup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,304

Scup, I have been a painter for 30 years and have never seen what you just described. You prepped to perfection and used the oil based (shellac) version of B-I-N which usually sticks to walls like white sticks to rice. What you describe almost sounds like moisture either penetrated the B-I-N or there somehow was moisture present on the walls when you primed; however those scenarios seem quite unlikely based on your prep and the fact that the bathroom is well-ventilated. Let us know how it all turns out and if you discover what really happened.

Advertisement

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,070

Maybe you left soap behind on the wall?
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
Maybe you left soap behind on the wall?

That and or moisture would do it. Also bin is not a finish coat and moisture would( I suspect) penetrate it much easier than say 2 coats of an eggshell finish. I am betting on moisture or you really did not get all the PASTE off that you thought.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

SOME of the problem is with the detergent, and the strong possibility that some paste is still there. Dishsoap doesn't strip glue at all...
Dishwashing-soap shouldn't be used for this!!!
It can leave residues of its own behind...believe it or no.

THE REST of the problem, as ChrisN said, lies with the primer being subjected to all that moisture for days!

The upper-half is peeling the worst because humidity/steam always RISE...affecting the upper-half much more.

Once wall is scraped of unsound primer, and sanded...wash with >>> POWDERED Dirtex.
* Let dry a day.
* Prime EVERYTHING again with BIN.
* Then 2 topcoats of at least a Satin sheen. Eggshell just isn't enough sheen to last in a bathroom for the long-run. I wouldn't even consider using an Eggshell in a bath.

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Hey Guys, thanks for the suggestions. I now have the walls scraped and sanded flat. W/o a doubt there is no adhesive on the walls.

I will go ahead and do one last wall wash and prime again.

One thing popped into my head after I read some responses. Sounds silly, but the sponge I used to clean the walls initially came from the wifes cleaning bucket. I know it was clean when I used it as I cleaned it thouroughly before using it, and it looked new. Possibly something already on that sponge that contaminated the surface?
scup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:59 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Use another sponge and plain, CLEAN water, let it dry AT LEAST overnight, you should be good to go.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote