Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom paint, purple board?

Hi,
I am finishing up a shower and have purple board above it and along side it to paint, then paint the whole bathroom. Is there any special kind of primer to use in the bathroom over the shower? Also is there a better kind of paint to use in the bathroom. I think we were looking at Valspar semi-gloss low VOC... Ultra premium kitchen and bath or something like that. (I forget the exact type and I do have some breathing issues with chemicals.)
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom paint, purple board?-some-old-some-new-001a.jpg   Bathroom paint, purple board?-some-old-some-new-003a.jpg  

wraiththe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #2

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=405
But there is no special primer needed but this one is VOC free.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #3

sherwin williams will fix you up tell them what your going to do prime and seal then top coat...have primer tinted your top coat color...ben

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 12-26-2011 at 07:15 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #4

benjamin moore or sherwin williams are your best choices. stay away from valspar or behr
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
benjamin moore or sherwin williams are your best choices. stay away from valspar or behr
Do you sell these products, or is there a reason you like these products better? or dislike valspar? (feel free to send me a personal message if you do not want to post your reasons.)
Old 12-26-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Would you buy fish, lobster or free range chicken from a box store? Why would you think of buying paint from one? Valspar is but Behr but with less advertising and no false Consumer Reports claims. Sold by a different box store is the only difference. Watered down crap.

Buy your paint from a real paint store.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #7

i used valspar at my son's house as that is what his wife bought. was crap. the trim paint was still sticky after 3 months. my uncle bought the 32.00 dollar a gallon valspar to paint his house before he talked to me. when he went back to get paint for the 3rd coat the woman at lowes said " we should have told you that you need to prime first. he had bought the valspar that was paint and primer in one. after 1200.00 dollars in paint he learned his lesson. if you search this site for behr you will find numerous posts on the subject. i used to work for a painter and he used sherwin williams and when i was in western ny we used benjamin moore for the houses we painted, their impervo oil is the best trim paint i have ever used.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:43 AM   #8

Wraith, not everyone who uses the box store paints have a problem everytime, or ever. But, when people come here for help, most all the time they have been using them. I think to say that DIY's who use them have a higher incidence of problems would be accurate. We'd rather you come back with thanks for the assistance than complaints about products and needing help to repair them.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #9

DIY market has evolved, but obviously has some room to evolve more.
There is a lot of room for error. Poor product, and imporoper install methods and installer judgement on many levels.

Perhaps I should ask what is the best method and paint types to use to paint a small bath/shower bathroom that will have periods of high humidity and except for the tiled part, was done with purple and green boards.

Then

Although I do not want to start a brand war, but I am interested in knowing why one might be better than the other so you might want to contact me personally on this one... or I will take it on advice to try a paint store instead of a BB store.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #10

Wraith, the forum members are operating on multiple planes here. You have the DIY's of various competencies, which the pros can invariably determine. And you have the pros with various backgounds and experiences. Just as most pro short stops could handle a good game with a cheap glove, most of the pros here could take a cheap product or tool and do a fairly decent job with it. It's the long term use of the tools, gloves in general, and the experience with coatings, fielding balls, that allows the user to compensate for the shortcomings of what they're working with. I hope that makes sense. When you lack the experience you need every advantage you can get. Someone with little brushing experience, already behind the eight ball, is doubly in trouble with a three dollar, not even dust brush quality brush. My dust brush once had a price tag of 15 or so bucks. Within a few minutes of use, I can usually tell what an unfamiliar coating is going to do or not do for me, as well as any trouble it may give me. For example, Behr paint is heavy bodied, and many have problems with it sagging, curtains. I realized it on the first roller full and adjusted my application technique accordingly. I've used it countless times and never had a problem with sags. An inexperienced homeowner may not be so lucky, if luck's the word. I may know a paint has a real good adhesion quality, or a lesser priced one has poor adhesion, and can ajdust my sanding accordingly. Etc, Etc. Generally, when you're talking the difference between a 20 and 40 dollar gallon of paint, you're talking real differences, and you're not just paying for the name, but what actually goes into the can. Your chances at success are better when you're using a quality paint and tools, just as you would have on the sandlot using a quality glove. You're already saving on the labor, which is the biggest portion of any job, and you're only asking for trouble when you quibble about material prices. What you eventually choose is up to you, and it just might work for you, but it doesn't for everybody. And everybody is who we need to address. Do you feel lucky kid? Well, do you? lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

that was so bootiful it brought a tear to my eye! lol.
And I just saw the first Dirty Harry !

JS- Copy that and tuck it away- that will be handy again!
(Only learn how to use paragraphs damnit!! jk..)
jsheridan (12-27-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
that was so bootiful it brought a tear to my eye! lol.
And I just saw the first Dirty Harry !

JS- Copy that and tuck it away- that will be handy again!
(Only learn how to use paragraphs damnit!! jk..)

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
Home Remodeler

I would not have a problem using Valspar. Never had a problem with it. Prime before you paint. I f you have lots of money go to Ben More, they would take your money gladly.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #14

(JS... Are you a Babylon 5 Fan? ) I could not agree with you more. I am trying to use the best I can afford and cut corners where the results of those cuts are less noticeable. Using my assets to the best I can, and trying to ask all the right questions... or as many as I can consider. And really, that is where most plans, and some countries.... are failing drastically: asking the right questions that matter instead of getting caught up on sparkly things that are off topic or don't matter.

I believe certain brands are better... And I understand where you are comming from. It is like jetskiing. I can hop on a ski and go <5 knotts and stand up, despite the water conditions... by feel and sight. The nuances you learn from experience and how the world works. and Yes, I am hoping to tap into that.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraiththe View Post
(JS... Are you a Babylon 5 Fan? ) I could not agree with you more. I am trying to use the best I can afford and cut corners where the results of those cuts are less noticeable. Using my assets to the best I can, and trying to ask all the right questions... or as many as I can consider. And really, that is where most plans, and some countries.... are failing drastically: asking the right questions that matter instead of getting caught up on sparkly things that are off topic or don't matter.

I believe certain brands are better... And I understand where you are comming from. It is like jetskiing. I can hop on a ski and go <5 knotts and stand up, despite the water conditions... by feel and sight. The nuances you learn from experience and how the world works. and Yes, I am hoping to tap into that.
Never even heard of Babylon 5, however, I am a fan of Steely Dan's Babylon Sister, shake it!
I'll try to write in p'graphs BJ, I do have a tendency to write in streams of consciousness, it's a bad habit. You should read my political rants. I'm starting to learn how to parse LTD's posts, so there's hope for anyone.