Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2005, 10:53 AM   #1

Share |

Bathroom paint problem

I just moved into a new house, well new to me at least. The second floor bathroom looked nice when we looked at the house but now that we moved in I am noticing some problems with it. It seems to me that the previous owners may have just done a quick cheap re-model to make it look good for the sale, but my main concern is the paint on the walls. The walls themselves are plaster except for maybe in the shower area. The problem I see is that I think they used the wrong type of paint for a bathroom. There are small sections that are cracking, almost spider-web type cracks. There is no fan or vent in this room, a problem I plan on taking care of sometime in the future, but when the room gets steamy after a shower if you rub you finger on the paint you get some paint on your finger. I always thought an oil based paint was the right choice for a bathroom, this wouldn't be happening unless they used a water based paint would it?
I'm not sure what my options would be to fix this.
Would I need to sand and then prime with an oil based primer? Then use a good quality oil based paint? I just can't paint over the existing paint with a oil based can I?
Coverage wouldn't be a problem as we want to slightly darken the room.
ERIK2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
Paperhanger/painter

Bathroom paint problem

I would apply 2 coats of Zinsser's GARDZ over it (water-based drywall sealer). Then top coat it with 2 coats high-quality latex satin, eggshell, or semi-gloss. Find kitchen & bath paint, or have some mildewcide added to it when purchased.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
Painting Contractor

Bathroom paint problem

"I always thought an oil based paint was the right choice for a bathroom, this wouldn't be happening unless they used a water based paint would it?"

They most likely did use a water based paint in the bathroom, which is fine, except for the fact that they probably didnt use a good one. I love Sherwin Williams All Surface Enamel Latex Primer. Its is designed for drywall, cured plaster, and many other surfaces. You will need to pick up a good quality bath paint, for the finish. I have always used Bath Paint, by Sherwin Wiliams...it is formulated specifically for mildew prone, humid, moist areas. I have never had any problems with these 2 products. Remember to sand first and seal, then paint away....good luck
Paintguy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:22 PM   #4
registered

Bathroom paint problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy
I would apply 2 coats of Zinsser's GARDZ over it (water-based drywall sealer). Then top coat it with 2 coats high-quality latex satin, eggshell, or semi-gloss. Find kitchen & bath paint, or have some mildewcide added to it when purchased.
yep zinssers gardz for primer and then i would go with this for paint. http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=35
Here is the primer http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=27

The paint i went will eggshell on my bathroom

Last edited by 747; 05-22-2006 at 10:28 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote