Bathroom Paint Peeling - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

bathroom paint peeling

My home was built in 1994. In my boy's bathroom, I have a 8 inch high and 5 foot long window approx. 6 inches above the tub enclosure. It is well above the shower head, and it is inset and cannot be opened. Its function, I suppose, was to be somewhat like a sky-lite. The problem is the wall area between the tub enclosure and the start of the drywall "ledge" where the window is inset. So far, the wall is fine, but the 4 inch wide "ledge" that forms the inset has had repeated water over splash. Plus, my boys, stash their shampoo there (they can reach it - I can't!) The paint the previous owners used was semi-gloss (they left the paint can). I usually just stand on the tub edge and reach up and clean the ledge, but today I put a small step ladder in the tub to get a good look. The paint is peeling, and there is a small 2" x 3" area where, when I cleaned, the paint came off down to the drywall and metal edging. The metal edging has slight rust in a small area, but the main problem is the drywall is soft in the 2x3 inch area. I cleaned it well, removed the paint that was peeling and I am letting it dry. My question is...do I sand the rust off, spackle the slight dip in the drywall, paint with a Kilz type primer and then paint with bathroom paint? I plan on repainting the entire bathroom with bathroom paint, so I want to get this right. Any help will be really appreciated!

Advertisement

jenchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

bathroom paint peeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchip
...My question is...do I sand the rust off, spackle the slight dip in the drywall, paint with a Kilz type primer and then paint with bathroom paint? I plan on repainting the entire bathroom with bathroom paint, so I want to get this right. Any help will be really appreciated!
You seem to have a firm grasp of/on the situation
Though rather than a "Kilz"-type primer (although Original oil-based Kilz might work OK), I'd suggest an oil/alkyd primer from BM or SW for this app.

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slickshift For This Useful Post:
jenchip (05-15-2010)
Old 05-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

bathroom paint peeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
You seem to have a firm grasp of/on the situation
Though rather than a "Kilz"-type primer (although Original oil-based Kilz might work OK), I'd suggest an oil/alkyd primer from BM or SW for this app.
Zinsser makes good oil and shellac based primers that r considerably less expensive that would work equally as well.
noboru wataya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #4

bathroom paint peeling

I'm clueless when it comes to painting, but I'm having the same issue in my bathroom. Is there a water-resistant paint that is specially designed for bathrooms and situations like this?
RDD_1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #5

bathroom paint peeling

If you use Kilz Premium primer in the gold can it will work great in a bathroom. It is great for sealing, stainblocking, especially in bathrooms. I used a Kilz Casual Colors paint with Satin finish over the primer, which can be painted over in an hour. The worker at walmart told me that using a kilz color chip and kilz paint it would cover in only one coat, it did just that. The paint also says mildew resistant on the can too but is not a specifically bathroom paint, but says the use is great for bathrooms. I've had no problems and it was easy.
BJeezy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

bathroom paint peeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboru wataya
Zinsser makes good oil and shellac based primers that r considerably less expensive that would work equally as well.
True, Zinsser makes some excellent products as well
Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

bathroom paint peeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJeezy23
If you use Kilz Premium primer in the gold can it will work great in a bathroom
We mentioned solvent based primers and sealers in this case for their rust preventative properties, and their vapor barrier properties
All that splashing is seeping into the walls, pealing paint (most likely from behind), and rusting the edging

Kilz Premium is a latex product and those do let moisture through
This particular (extremely wet) project calls for a good oil/alkyd (or even alcohol/shellac) based primer
Old 05-18-2010, 12:14 AM   #8
Tired, Cold, and Damp

bathroom paint peeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDD_1210
I'm clueless when it comes to painting, but I'm having the same issue in my bathroom. Is there a water-resistant paint that is specially designed for bathrooms and situations like this?
Yes, most companies have "bath" paints
Zinsser's Perma-White (eggshell, satin, semi-gloss) is very good
But it doesn't tint well beyond light pastels
BM's K&B (Kitchen & Bath) is just as good, tints to slightly deeper, but only comes in satin
BM's Aura Bath & Spa (matte finish) is the top dog for adhesion, moisture and mold & mildew resistance, scrub-ability, etc...and can be tinted to anything
Of course, the B&S costs more, but depending on you needs and desires it could be just the ticket

All are "self-priming", but in a case like this (special circumstances) it's best to do the proper prime, and use the self-priming paint over it for added protection against peeling
Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #9

bathroom paint peeling

Last edited by noboru wataya; 05-18-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #10

bathroom paint peeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboru wataya View Post
do u just go through threads agreeing or disagreeing with everyone's posts? what's going on here?
He's a Moderator on this site & has been a member for 5 years
As Moderators we do review/read a lot of threads & posts
And in many cases do comment when we have knowledge or experience on the topic being discussed

That's what going on here...
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

bathroom paint peeling

Before painting, does the drywall need to be repaired/replaced?

Since the boys are using this as a shelf, it is going to get wet, alot, even though it isn't in the shower spray.

If it was me and I was planning on living in the home for awhile, I would repair if necessay, paint as described above. Then I would try to find some sort of waterproof shelf to put on top of that drywall ledge. Maybe like a piece of granite. Perhaps with a bit of an overhang and a bit of slope and caulk around the edges.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #12

bathroom paint peeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
He's a Moderator on this site & has been a member for 5 years
As Moderators we do review/read a lot of threads & posts
And in many cases do comment when we have knowledge or experience on the topic being discussed

That's what going on here...
oh ok. couldn't tell if he was an admin or moderator. that's for the information.

as for the attitude, i could do without it. i don't care if he/she is a moderator. is it their job to second/validate good information all day?

i've noticed a lot of obnoxious/condescending posters on here so far. does painting piss ppl off, or talking about painting? is it ok if i question things sometimes?

i was just trying to grasp the reasoning behind it. SORRY!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

bathroom paint peeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboru wataya View Post
oh ok. couldn't tell if he was an admin or moderator. that's for the information.

as for the attitude, i could do without it. i don't care if he/she is a moderator. is it their job to second/validate good information all day?

i've noticed a lot of obnoxious/condescending posters on here so far. does painting piss ppl off, or talking about painting? is it ok if i question things sometimes?

i was just trying to grasp the reasoning behind it. SORRY!!!!!!!!

You could do some adjusting yourself

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (05-18-2010)

Tags
bathroom , drywall , paint , water damage