Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Paint and Mildew

Hello!

I have a small bathroom (that doesn't have great ventilation) in the interior of a condo in Florida. I have lived here for about 13 years and within the past year I have noticed small mildew (or perhaps mold?) spots that are about the size of a pen dot on the painted celling and wall above the shower area. I've tried to clean them off using things like clorox mildew remover a few times and more keep appearing.

It hasn't been painted the entire time I have been here - is it possible that the "mildew resistant" qualities of the paint have worn off over these years which is why I am just seeing these spots now? I've heard you should not paint over mildew (or mold) - is there a high quality mildew resistant paint that I could use and be safe? I know this isn't the forum to ask..but any trick to removing the spots... should I skip the fancy sprays and just do a bleach mixture?

Thanks for any help!

disneyfan1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #2

I had the same problem ten years ago in my upstairs bath....cleaned with bleach and painted the ceiling with Zinsser Perma White and it has not come back yet.I know there are a lot of mildew cleaners that will work but the Perma White has always been my go to for mildew problems.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #3

Mildewcides in paint does not make them mildew proof. Make certain that the ventilation is sufficient to remove moisture and humidity.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will22 View Post
Mildewcides in paint does not make them mildew proof. Make certain that the ventilation is sufficient to remove moisture and humidity.
^^^^^^THIS. No special paint, no additives will eliminate the mildew problem unless you eliminate the MOISTURE PROBLEM. Mildew needs moisture to feed on your paint film. If there is poor ventilation then there is always moisture on your walls and mildew will thrive. You HAVE to do something about the ventilation or all your painting efforts will be in vain. It may be time to hire a contractor, an electrician, or even a plumber who can improve you ventilation issues. Until you fix it, it will be like putting a band-aid on a broken bone.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #5

GS I live in Fla. the problem here is the code says an exhaust fan or a window, so almost all condos have a small window in the bath. Now take a guess how many people open that window when showering. On some it is really not feasible to install a fan.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #6

Thank you everyone for your help. I know improving ventilation is important, now I just have to find a way to do it!

disneyfan1313 is offline   Reply With Quote