Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom paint

We are redoing our entire bathroom... we have gutted the walls, took out the window and tile in the shower. replaced with the 3 piece wall and installed an exhaust fan. We are redoing the plumbing and replacing the light fixtures and sink and cabinet. And also laying tile. The only things remaining the same are the tub, toilet and ceiling. We bought Behr paint and primer in one in Satin and since it is such a small space my sis in law said maybe we should paint the whole room including the ceiling. Is this paint ok for a bathroom? And do you recommend painting the ceiling with this paint as well?

Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Bathroom paint

If you go the the search button at the center top of this page and type in "Behr paint", it should pull up some threads on this subject.

Hint: Behr paint does not seem to be a favorite around here.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 524

Bathroom paint

If you have brand-new drywall in there, the paint+primer in one is not what you want. You want a dedicated primer to seal the virgin walls first, then paint. The paint+primer combo is really just a high-hiding paint, that makes it easier to paint over existing colors. You can still use what you have, but for better results, prime first.

The pros all hate Behr, us DIYers have had mixed results. I've personally had some Behr turn out great, and some make me want to throw things. Usually, the flatter the Behr paint the better the results I've personally got out of it.

Regardless of brand, unless the paint is white or close to it, I probably wouldn't paint the whole room, walls+ceiling, one color. It will feel boxed-in.
hyunelan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom paint

Thanks. We have had great experience with Behr in our other rooms. Actually we prefer it over the other brands we have purchased. Good point on the new drywall and not using the paint and primer in one. Didn't think of that. We replaced almost every part of the walls in the bathroom but did leave behind the door alone...
my sister in law said all the decorating shows say to paint the ceiling... I am not soo keen on the idea so I was wondering....
We are DIY people and want it to look good and last - we painted the rest of the house with Glidden and then decided on a totally different color scheme and replaced that with Behr and have had no issues. I wasn't sure if the moisture content in the bathroom would matter....we had mold issues which is the reason for the remodel. We have a 7 month old that I do not want growing up in a home full of mold. We have taken care of that and it is looking great... we will be ready to paint Saturday....I will discuss the Paint and Primer in One issue with my hubby since we have already purchased it
Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bathroom paint

See the "free fiver of Behr primer thread- particularly the posters last comment.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,230

Bathroom paint

THere's a reason they call it Bear, er, Behr.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,188

Bathroom paint

"better to leave the walls bare than put Behr on the walls"

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote