Bathroom Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom paint

Hi All: I am new here and have spent the last 2 days reading and am now dizzy.

A little background:

I just had my bathroom shower expanded and retiled. Contractor did a great job. I choose a tile MSI Gregio Onyx which is a grayish color.

I am now choosing a paint color, which is next to impossible. Grays have purple, blue, green and brown. I have purchased at least 12 samples and it is getting expensive. I will attach a photo of the shower if I can.

So I have narrowed my paint choice down to Benjamin Moore Coventry Gray. However the paint guy wanted to give me BEN paint. Looked up the thickness and it is only 1.3. Did not think this would cover over my previous painted sage green walls.

I am having a conflict between Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore and Behr Premium Plus.

It is a small 11 x 8 bathroom. I want an eggshell finish, nothing real shiny.

Any help would be appreciated. I am pulling my hair out.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom paint-front-trim.jpg   Bathroom paint-front-view-1.jpg   Bathroom paint-p1010127.jpg   Bathroom paint-shampoo-box.jpg  

Advertisement

deemaxx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 77

Bathroom paint

That is great looking tile. I would go with the Benjamin Moore eggshell in the Regal Select line, or kick it up to Aura Matte Spa and Bath, which is great for moisture resistance.

Advertisement

VAProPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Bathroom paint

I use Benjamin Moore's Bath and Spa. I have zero experience or opinions about Sherwin Williams or Behr comparable products.

What I like...
- It's Aura, has great coverage. (See pic). In this pic I've put one coat of chocolate fondue over white primer on a bathroom ceiling above a tub surround I'm installing in my basement bath. Leveled great, and came in a matte finish. I used a 13mm microfibre roller because I like them and have a large supply.
The reason I choose bath and spa matte finish over a regular paint product is because it has a mildew resistant additive and matte is a great option to use. Years ago the options were limited and by choosing pearl or satin you would end up with a grotesque looking sheen. Functional yes, but appearance wise - not so much.
Sherwin and Behr may have something - I just haven't had the need to look into it.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom paint-image-3307659048.jpg   Bathroom paint-image-2018233023.jpg   Bathroom paint-image-3014099423.jpg  
Danahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,294

Bathroom paint

If you're struggling to pick a color, ask your BM or SW paintstore for some help. Most times the stores have a designer they can consult or at least a well=trained full time employee who will assist you with color selections for FREE. My SW store has a terrific employee who is well-trained in color/interior design and I often have her do a consult with clients of mine to assist with color. Rarely do the clients disagree with what she puts together. It sure would save you the trouble of buying samples of paint which can be "hit and miss" at best. Nice to have another set of eyes to assist.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Bathroom paint

Benjamin Moore's Bath and Spa

as always 2 coats, forget about the thickness 1.3 stuff, it means nothing to you
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,686

Bathroom paint

AWWW you kids I remember when kitchens and baths were done in semi oil based. The reason was cleaning, cooking oils in the kitchen and the different things that were sprayed in the bathroom.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 01:08 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,534

Bathroom paint

It's good to see people paying attention to the paint thickness, because you're right - Ben is a pretty thin paint compared to the better quality Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams paints, and even Behr Premium Plus Ultra. It's unlikely to go on in one coat. If you're looking for 1 coat, go with Aura or at least SuperPaint or Regal Select. These leave a thicker film and are more opaque.

As far as color goes, you'd be hard pressed to find a color that doesn't go with that tile, and pull out some color from it. I would actually avoid something like Coventry Gray myself, not because it doesn't go well, but because it goes too well. It might just blend in to one large gray space. I'd go with a grayish color but one that had some color in it, like blue or purple. Like for example something like this if you like purple

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/p.../mistymemories
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:42 AM   #8

Bathroom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danahy View Post
I use Benjamin Moore's Bath and Spa. I have zero experience or opinions about Sherwin Williams or Behr comparable products.

What I like...
- It's Aura, has great coverage. (See pic). In this pic I've put one coat of chocolate fondue over white primer on a bathroom ceiling above a tub surround I'm installing in my basement bath. Leveled great, and came in a matte finish. I used a 13mm microfibre roller because I like them and have a large supply.
The reason I choose bath and spa matte finish over a regular paint product is because it has a mildew resistant additive and matte is a great option to use. Years ago the options were limited and by choosing pearl or satin you would end up with a grotesque looking sheen. Functional yes, but appearance wise - not so much.
Sherwin and Behr may have something - I just haven't had the need to look into it.
I want to than you for your help and photo. Love the chocolate color. I am still torn between paints but I am thinking that Ben Moore is the way to go. I do like the fact the the Aura has a matte finish that I can use in the bathroom.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:47 AM   #9

Bathroom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
If you're struggling to pick a color, ask your BM or SW paintstore for some help. Most times the stores have a designer they can consult or at least a well=trained full time employee who will assist you with color selections for FREE. My SW store has a terrific employee who is well-trained in color/interior design and I often have her do a consult with clients of mine to assist with color. Rarely do the clients disagree with what she puts together. It sure would save you the trouble of buying samples of paint which can be "hit and miss" at best. Nice to have another set of eyes to assist.
Thank you did not know that the stores have a designer, will have to check that out. I was dealing with a very "snotty" paint guy. He treated. Me as if I was in third grade when I skied about paint differences, and how not to choose. Paint with purple undertones. I even had my tile with me and he gave me no help whatsoever. I may have to go to another BM store.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:02 AM   #10

Bathroom paint

Thanks to ll that replied. I seem to be having a problem with replies from my iPad, so I decided to post one general reply.
I do not think any paint will cover in one coat any longer. I was wondering if I need to prime over the sage green that is on the wall now.
I realize that Benjamin Moore is most everyone's choice, and I am going to look at the regal, Aura, brands. I definitely want eggshell or matte finish and as long as the paint is mildew resistant and the matte is washable I will be happy once I find a color. I just hate paying $70 a gallon, that is just so very high and BM does not have coupons, I already checked.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:41 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Bathroom paint

no need to prime
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:37 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Bathroom paint

Some good info in this thread. I was not aware of the Aura Bath & Spa.
I used a Ben Moore pearl finish in my recent bath remodel. But it sounds like Aura would have been a better choice. I'll consider for my next bath remodel in a couple of months. thanks!
DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,686

Bathroom paint

The aura should cover in one coat no prime. If the bathroom is only 11x8 and you deduct the shower space and the vanity space and door area and anything else that doesn't get painted, you may get by with a couple qts. and save on the cost.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,534

Bathroom paint

If you're going to put on 2 coats then it's fine to go with a less expensive paint. If I have a choice of putting on a paint that will go on in one coat, then I'll always choose it because of the labor savings. Two coats of a cheaper paint might be roughly the same cost of one coat of an expensive paint, in terms of materials. But since your bathroom is probably small enough to paint with 2 coats with 1 gallon of paint, you can save in materials at least if not in labor.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #15

Bathroom paint

That should say I asked about different paint brands and colors not skied.

Advertisement