Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
typing left handed

Share |

Bathroom-need advice on changing paint types

Im preparing to paint the bathroom and have a couple concerns/questions.
The walls are currently a dull (almost chalky) latex and they do have some minimal water/hair products stains/spots on them. In the shower where tile and wall meet there are some places of lifting/bubbling paint. Someone said I need to use gloss enamel for moisture protection and durabilty for washing walls. Is this factual?
(I do like a high gloss shine in the bath) I am re-painting in almost the exact same color, a medium shade of sandy taupe... so since the colors are same should I still do a coat of primer? Im thinking I may need primer due to the before mentioned stains or perhaps just washing the walls will be enough?
And can enamel go over latex regardless of color?
What would you guys recommend? Thanks so much.

Last edited by jmb324; 01-19-2009 at 05:35 PM.
jmb324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb324
Someone said I need to use gloss enamel for moisture protection and durabilty for washing walls. Is this factual?
No
However, you should use a specialty product like Zinsser's Perma-White or Moore's or Sherwin's K&B
They range in sheen from eggshell to satin
BM's Aura also is extremely washable, though they don't currently have a "bath" labeled paint in that line-up, as even the matte is a washable flat (and extremely mold/mildew resistant)

Quote:
The walls are currently a dull (almost chalky) latex and they do have some minimal water/hair products stains/spots on them. In the shower where tile and wall meet there are some places of lifting/bubbling paint.
After an extreme cleaning, due to the chalk/bubble thing you should prime with a specialty primer
I'd suggest Zinsser's Gardz

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
typing left handed

Thank you for the info slickshift, I will check out your suggested products
We are partial to Ben Moore paint, and have recently started using Zinnsers primer after having some bad luck with Kills.
I had done some reading in back threads and found lots of useful tips, but couldnt find any posts that talked about enamel over latex, or if enamel is the product of choice for baths. I find the best advice comes from those who work with this stuff every day and learn by trial and error over paint store clerks.
Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #4

"Enamel" probably had a specific meaning at some point in the past, but it now is applied to pretty much any paint, completely at random. The correct product for a bath is bathroom paint; these are generally not available in flat sheens anyway. (I think they do come in Satin/Eggshell.)

Make sure you clean (and rinse) that wall thoroughly to prevent adhesion issues.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Drywall contractor

Any type of paint with a gloss will exaggerate any imperfections on the walls and tend to make the joints more noticeable. You may want to consider glaze coating your walls first if you use something other than flat paint.....
Old 01-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
I...couldnt find any posts that talked about enamel over latex, or if enamel is the product of choice for baths.
In this case, bath specific and/or wash/scrub-ability are more important than whether or not it's technically an "enamel"
(and yes, some cheesy paints are technically "enamels")

If the enamel is water-borne/based, then it is considered a "latex" or "acrylic" when covering another latex/acrylic paint, and is OK to go over those (with proper prep, cleaning and a light scuff sanding)

If you want to put an alkyd (oil) enamel over latex, you still would do the same prep
But I wouldn't recommend an alkyd enamel unless you really needed a moisture barrier
(alkyds tend to foster mold and mildew more than waterborne)
In which case you should prep and oil prime (though oil prime is technically not needed for alkyd over acrylic, if you need a moisture barrier you have other issues, and it's better to "stack the deck" in your favor)
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
typing left handed

Thanks to sirwired, bjbatlanta, and slickshift for the additional information & education. The gentleman who told me to use enamel, is quite a character...a self proclaimed "old school painter" --now retired...who began painting with his father as a teen from the mid 50s till the early 90s when his legs and feet gave out from the years on ladders. And there are health issues from all the years of lead paint as well...and while hes a die hard Sherwin Williams man...he admits he has no idea about all the new paints/products out there and he is stunned at the price of the good paints (and thinner) these days. He said back in "his time" ... kitchens and baths got semi gloss enamel, and he talked about a time in the 60s when high gloss shine on all the walls was the rage. I told him he should come read in here some time and he laughed... says hes never even been on a computer. Oh and at 70 yrs old, hes still hanging wallpaper in his 2 daughters houses. And I know Im a bit off topic but I thought some might enjoy his story...

thanks again guys for all your advice.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Drywall contractor

I'm sure he still swings a mean brush too.....
Old 01-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
typing left handed

youre right bjbatlanta,
on another painting project I asked him to teach me how to cut in at the ceiling... I'll never develop that skill like he does...his work is impressive...and he can do around windows, baseboards etc without taping off even with his now shakey hands. I really enjoy learning from and watching the "masters"
Old 01-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
Drywall contractor

Well he's got about 15 years on me, but after back, neck, and two shoulder surgeries I can sympathize with the physical issues that can go with any trade. I've gone to smaller jobs (basements, remodels, repairs instead of new houses) and expanded what I do to keep the bills paid. Just hope at 70 I can still do work I enjoy, as your friend does. I could use a few cut-in lessons myself. I always end up having to go back and touch up one side or the other.........