Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #1

Share |

bathroom help needed

I need some assistance with my bathroom painting project
1. The bathroom originally had wallpaper on drywall.
2. Wallpaper was ripped down and the drywall was sanded and spackled.
3. Wall was then painted with Olympic Premium Interior Latex Satin
4. We were happy
5. Some paint started flaking off around the shower
6. Much more paint started flaking off around everywhere else
7. We were sad
8. I have been scraping and sanding for a long time to get as much of the bad paint off as I can

I have since learned that wallpaper glue residue or the lack of primer may have caused the paint to flake off.

I now have a lot of the paint off, but there is still some paint left on the walls. The paint that is left seems to be stuck well.

Pictures of the current walls are attached

I really would like to know what is the best path to having walls that look good and not cost a whole lot of money. And do I need to do anymore sanding or scraping? I have thought about wallpaper(wife says no) or textured paint.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom help needed-wall1.jpg   bathroom help needed-wall2.jpg  

Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

bathroom help needed

You are correct, both the lack of primer and/or the leftover wallpaper paste (it's not actually glue), most likely caused your failure
At this point, prime with Zinsser's Gardz, and make a judgment call about filling in or smoothing some spots with joint compound
Then re-primer (a quality acrylic is OK at this point, or Gardz if you have enough), and topcoat with 2 coats quality bath paint (or other quality self-priming mold/mildew resistant coating)

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #3

bathroom help needed

BTW, one of the things that didn't help was that low-end BigBoxCo house-brand paint. As slick said, you need a real bathroom paint. Zinsser PermaWhite or Sherwin Williams Kitchen&Bath paint would both be good choices.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:04 PM   #4

bathroom help needed

Are you properly ventilated? Definitely use SW bathroom paint... something oil-based.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Drywall contractor

bathroom help needed

Prime with Zinser, glaze coat walls with joint compound (probably 2 coats), sand entire surface, prime again, then finish paint....and as mark mentioned add a fan if you don't have one.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #6

bathroom help needed

If you can't get the walls smoothed out well enough, another option from a textured paint is sponge-painting, wrag-rolling, or some other faux finish.
Jeeper1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

bathroom help needed

Good point, but it's a "cover up". A small area shouldn't be that hard to deal with even for a novice. The mud needs to be thinned down to make it spread easier. Apply with a broad knife (8" or 10" is probably the best for a beginner) to maybe a 4'x4' area and wipe back off. You want to get almost all of the joint compound back off. Allow to dry 24 hrs. and sand lightly. Pull another coat in the opposite direction of the first coat. Sand again, prime, and finish paint with quality paint. (I'm not a painter by trade, so I won't jump into that "dog fight" as far as brand. The actual painters will steer you right.)
Old 11-15-2008, 11:48 PM   #8

bathroom help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
Prime with Zinser, glaze coat walls with joint compound (probably 2 coats), sand entire surface, prime again, then finish paint....and as mark mentioned add a fan if you don't have one.
If the walls weren't first painted with (Sorry if this offends anyone) Olypic Bull**** paint, then that would be my exact recommendations, but being that you may still have some Olympic paint on the walls, take a sander to it and get all the old paint off the walls first or you may just be doing this all over again.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #9

bathroom help needed

Thanks everyone for you help, I truly appreciate it.

Matthewt1970 has me worried. I have sanded the walls the best that I can with a stick sander and have also scraped a lot of the paint off, however as you can see from my pictures there is still paint left. I really don't want to do this again for a long time.

What kind if sander should I get to get the rest of the paint off? Hopefully I can just borrow one from someone.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #10
Tired, Cold, and Damp

bathroom help needed

The paint left should be firmly adhering, and not an issue
Sealing it with Gardz (a penetrating primer and problem-solving sealer) will add an extra measure of security
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:37 AM   #11

bathroom help needed

I had the same problem. After you have done all this work make sure you use the correct primer on the wall. it needs to be the one for dry wall repair. can't remember the name but it will make the wall accept new paint without leaving 'spots' where old paint is and and dry wall mud repairs are. great stuff.

ready4it is offline   Reply With Quote