DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bathroom fixture

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  user1007 
#1 ·
Can I spray paint my brushed nickel bathroom fixture? Do I have to take it down? What kind of spray paint should I use?

#2 · (Edited)
You could try but I doubt if it will last. You are going to be nicking and banging the finish with nails, toothbrush handles, spilling hair color and shaving cream on it, subjecting it to all kinds of "scrubbing bubbles" chemicals and so forth.

If you want to try, you should take it off so you can get to all sides. Clean it of all grease, oils, soap film, etc. Make sure the metal does not have a lacquer coating. Strip it off if it does. Scruff up the surface with fine steel wool.

Apply a self-etching metal primer. You can get it in rattle cans at an auto store.

Then apply two coats of rattle can finish. I would probably put a couple coats of clear coat over that.

Alternatively, I guess an appliance enamel or some sort of epoxy would be worth a shot.

You could take the thing to a body shop and let them deal with it.

At the end of the day, with the thing fastened back in place, I suspect it will look really goofy and like you TRIED to paint a bath fixture?

I would save the money and energy to buy and install a new faucet you like.

Don't be afraid of installing a new faucet by the way. If that is what is prompting you to want to paint it? It is usually very easy. You just need a special tool called a basin wrench. The toothed end of the thing slides up into the recesses of the sink so you can loosen the two nuts and washer holding the faucet in place. A good one will set you back $20 or less. You should replace any legacy water supply lines and re-pack or replace supply valves too though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.