Bathroom Ceiling And Walls HELP! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2010, 07:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Bathroom ceiling and walls HELP!

Hi
I have just painted my bathroom ceiling and walls with Eggshell paint 2 weeks ago.
I have an exhaust fan in the batroom and leave the door and window open as there are two adults and 3 childen who use the bathroom daily to shower.
The problem is the ceiling has started to crack in places. Also when ever we have a shower the moisture caused, runs down the ceiling and walls and is leaving a sticky kind of running mess on the walls, there are water marks on the ceiling in the form of droplets also.

I realise I am going to have to start over again.. can anyone please advice me what short of paint to use? somepeople seem to advice eggshell or gloss paints but would i not have the same problems with the steam running off the paint and leaving marks on the ceiling and walls?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Advertisement

Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 152

Hi Maia,
First off let’s correct your moisture problem. Increase the size of your ceiling fan. I’m assuming your fan is original to what your home was built with. I’m betting your current fan is around 50 to 80 CFM, if so, replace it with a good quality 110 CFM fan. That will solve you moisture problem. Next your paint is cracking probably because you applied it to thick or it didn’t have time to harden before you took your next shower. This would play havoc with the drying process. When the water (vehicle) begins to evaporate the solids will shrink thus causing the cracks. Just out of curiosity did you use Sherwin-Williams “Duration” on the walls and ceilings? Try using Pittsburgh “Manor Hall” eggshell, a time tested product. Using a good quality primer like Zinssers 1-2-3 wouldn’t hurt before you applied your finish coat.

Good Luck, and let me know about the paint you used.
Steve

www.handpaintedbysteve.com

Advertisement

spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

First off, lets find out if the fan is functional at all.

Turn on the fan, take a single piece of toilet paper, and hold it up flat to the intake grill of the running fan.

Does the airflow into the fan cause the paper to stick to the grill?
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 152

A 30 CFM fan would probably pass the toilet paper test, however does that prove the fan is adequate to resolve the moisture issue. I think not.

Steve

www.handpaintedbysteve.com
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygunn View Post
A 30 CFM fan would probably pass the toilet paper test, however does that prove the fan is adequate to resolve the moisture issue. I think not.
Primary, what's being identified by a failed "toilet paper test" is some sort gross defect (and I find these more frequently than you might expect when I'm called in to inspect for the cause of ceiling damage in bathrooms) which is obstructing the exhaust path - in which case a larger fan is not going to help.

Here's an example of an hidden obstruction at a recent moisture intrusion inspection:

Condensation caused by obstructed bath fan exhaust lines can be mistaken for leaks in bathroom ceilings – Paragon Leak Inspections Chicago

When I'm inspecting such fans I use a digital anemometer specifically deigned for HVAC analysis, and then run a miniature inspection camera up exhaust line to diagnose the cause if I suspect a problem - but in a pinch the TP test will at least give you a rough indication of functional air-flow.

So, IMO "first things first".
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 11-15-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

To add to that, how long the fan is left on is also a determinant in the adequacy of the fan. During and after each shower is ideal, therefore timers are recommended...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 252

A few other issues:

1) Is the fan DEFINITELY vented to the OUTSIDE?!

2) CLOSE the window!!! If you're in a cool climate, cool air coming in condenses on surfaces...FAST. It also cools the overall air, making condensation worse everywhere. This is almost impossible for a fan to deal with.

3) What exact brand/series of paint was used?

4) Were walls washed thoroughly b4 painting...and, with what?? Rinsed well??
5) As previous posters asked, what is the fans' CFM rating?

6) How long after painting was first hot shower taken?

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

You also have to consider the type of piping that was used for the fan and how far the pipe was run. I would suggest using PVC and sloping the pipe to drain outdoors. Locate the pipe on the warm side of insulation if applicable, Install a plastic wall cap outside. Use a rubber fernco type coupling to connect to the fan

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
You also have to consider the type of piping that was used for the fan and how far the pipe was run. I would suggest using PVC and sloping the pipe to drain outdoors. Locate the pipe on the warm side of insulation if applicable, Install a plastic wall cap outside. Use a rubber fernco type coupling to connect to the fan
This is 3 years old, probably fixed by now
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-20-2013), jsheridan (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #10

How did this get dredged up?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Roof guys are slow... lol
chrisn (02-21-2013), jsheridan (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

I don't always look at the post dates. The post showed up as bold so I thought it was new. AT 66 I have a right to be slow on occasion, besides, in the 60's we had good music, and other stuff.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 04:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
I don't always look at the post dates. The post showed up as bold so I thought it was new. AT 66 I have a right to be slow on occasion, besides, in the 60's we had good music, and other stuff.

Oh no, you don't mean the "brown" other stuff. That'll test your memory and 60's trivia. I was only six during the Summer of Love, fortunately there was some stuff left over for the 70's.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

[QUOTE=jsheridan;1121476]
Oh no, you don't mean the "brown" other stuff. That'll test your memory and 60's trivia. I was only six during the Summer of Love, fortunately there was some stuff left over for the 70's.[/QUOTE]

just a little

Advertisement

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote