DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bathroom ceiling and walls HELP!

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  chrisn 
#1 ·
Hi
I have just painted my bathroom ceiling and walls with Eggshell paint 2 weeks ago.
I have an exhaust fan in the batroom and leave the door and window open as there are two adults and 3 childen who use the bathroom daily to shower.
The problem is the ceiling has started to crack in places. Also when ever we have a shower the moisture caused, runs down the ceiling and walls and is leaving a sticky kind of running mess on the walls, there are water marks on the ceiling in the form of droplets also.

I realise I am going to have to start over again.. can anyone please advice me what short of paint to use? somepeople seem to advice eggshell or gloss paints but would i not have the same problems with the steam running off the paint and leaving marks on the ceiling and walls?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
Hi Maia,
First off let’s correct your moisture problem. Increase the size of your ceiling fan. I’m assuming your fan is original to what your home was built with. I’m betting your current fan is around 50 to 80 CFM, if so, replace it with a good quality 110 CFM fan. That will solve you moisture problem. Next your paint is cracking probably because you applied it to thick or it didn’t have time to harden before you took your next shower. This would play havoc with the drying process. When the water (vehicle) begins to evaporate the solids will shrink thus causing the cracks. Just out of curiosity did you use Sherwin-Williams “Duration” on the walls and ceilings? Try using Pittsburgh “Manor Hall” eggshell, a time tested product. Using a good quality primer like Zinssers 1-2-3 wouldn’t hurt before you applied your finish coat.

Good Luck, and let me know about the paint you used.
Steve

www.handpaintedbysteve.com

#3 ·
First off, lets find out if the fan is functional at all.

Turn on the fan, take a single piece of toilet paper, and hold it up flat to the intake grill of the running fan.

Does the airflow into the fan cause the paper to stick to the grill?

#5 · (Edited)
A 30 CFM fan would probably pass the toilet paper test, however does that prove the fan is adequate to resolve the moisture issue. I think not.
Primary, what's being identified by a failed "toilet paper test" is some sort gross defect (and I find these more frequently than you might expect when I'm called in to inspect for the cause of ceiling damage in bathrooms) which is obstructing the exhaust path - in which case a larger fan is not going to help.

Here's an example of an hidden obstruction at a recent moisture intrusion inspection:

Condensation caused by obstructed bath fan exhaust lines can be mistaken for leaks in bathroom ceilings – Paragon Leak Inspections Chicago

When I'm inspecting such fans I use a digital anemometer specifically deigned for HVAC analysis, and then run a miniature inspection camera up exhaust line to diagnose the cause if I suspect a problem - but in a pinch the TP test will at least give you a rough indication of functional air-flow.

So, IMO "first things first".

#6 ·
To add to that, how long the fan is left on is also a determinant in the adequacy of the fan. During and after each shower is ideal, therefore timers are recommended...

#7 ·
A few other issues:

1) Is the fan DEFINITELY vented to the OUTSIDE?!

2) CLOSE the window!!! If you're in a cool climate, cool air coming in condenses on surfaces...FAST. It also cools the overall air, making condensation worse everywhere. This is almost impossible for a fan to deal with.

3) What exact brand/series of paint was used?

4) Were walls washed thoroughly b4 painting...and, with what?? Rinsed well??
5) As previous posters asked, what is the fans' CFM rating?

6) How long after painting was first hot shower taken?

Faron

#8 ·
You also have to consider the type of piping that was used for the fan and how far the pipe was run. I would suggest using PVC and sloping the pipe to drain outdoors. Locate the pipe on the warm side of insulation if applicable, Install a plastic wall cap outside. Use a rubber fernco type coupling to connect to the fan

#12 ·
I don't always look at the post dates. The post showed up as bold so I thought it was new. AT 66 I have a right to be slow on occasion, besides, in the 60's we had good music, and other stuff.

:whistling2::whistling2::whistling2::whistling2:

Reactions: Gymschu
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.