Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Bathroom Ceiling with radiant heat

Hello,

I'm about to begin a very large project in the smallest room in my house, the bathroom. I noticed that the paint was flaking off the ceiling and in some spots on the walls. I figured it was caused by the obvious moisture in this tiny room.

I began to scrape away at the flaking paint, and scrape, and scrape! What I have now is spots where the paint has not flaked off, and large areas where I've cleaned it right down to the sheet rock. There is only one coat of paint from what I am able to determine. I've patched up the walls with drywall compound.

I have radiant heating in the ceilings throughout the upstairs, bathroom included. This is where I think I'll be running into problems.

I am about to sand the ceiling. I know I must be careful to remove the dust left over and should not shower in that room until the paint has a chance to properly dry. I'm aware that I should stay away from oil based paints as could potentially cause peeling in the future. There are imperfections in the ceiling.

My questions are; 1. Which type of primer should I apply? 2. Which is the best type of paint for a bathroom ceiling? 3. Should I even attempt to smooth out the imperfections in the ceiling with compound? (I'm willing to live with the lines and unevenness if I can just manage to get the paint to stay on).

The room has an exhaust fan and I have a dehumidifier.

Just looking for some advice before I begin and find myself with a much bigger mess than what I'm in right now.

Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to provide.

Last edited by Chatterbox; 09-30-2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: extra information added
Chatterbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Radiant heat IN the ceiling?
Or a heater that blows heat down, or a heat bulb?

Heat rises....so radiant heat in the ceiling seems as if not the most efficient means of heating

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #3

Yes, coils in the ceiling. I know it's not efficient...lol was here when we bought the house. The only room we actually use this in is the bathroom and only for a very short time, every other day during the winter.

We heat with wood furnace. Bathroom isn't ducted for this.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #4

Radiant heat is actually very efficient, whether in the ceiling or the floor. I think its something like 2% less efficientin the ceiling. Its RADIANT, so it doesn't really matter what direction its coming from. Radiant heat doesn't rise, it radiates.
zirconx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #5

I'm concerned how this heat will effect the paint. Should I be using a specific type of paint? Oil based perhaps? I sincerely do not wish to re-do this project because of something I could have done right or differently the first time around
Old 10-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

I did a short search and came up with using a water based acrylic paint from: http://www.islandgreenheating.com/facts_questions.php
Many posters saying to be very careful around the embedded wires, not to damage them when fixing the cracks.
Be safe, Gary
Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,120

I have done a few of these before. Scrape all loose paint, skim, sand smooth, clean, apply Gardz primer, apply 100% acrylic finish paint or Zinnser's bathroom paint.
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote