DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bathroom Ceiling with radiant heat

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  chrisn 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm about to begin a very large project in the smallest room in my house, the bathroom. I noticed that the paint was flaking off the ceiling and in some spots on the walls. I figured it was caused by the obvious moisture in this tiny room.

I began to scrape away at the flaking paint, and scrape, and scrape! What I have now is spots where the paint has not flaked off, and large areas where I've cleaned it right down to the sheet rock. There is only one coat of paint from what I am able to determine. I've patched up the walls with drywall compound.

I have radiant heating in the ceilings throughout the upstairs, bathroom included. This is where I think I'll be running into problems.

I am about to sand the ceiling. I know I must be careful to remove the dust left over and should not shower in that room until the paint has a chance to properly dry. I'm aware that I should stay away from oil based paints as could potentially cause peeling in the future. There are imperfections in the ceiling.

My questions are; 1. Which type of primer should I apply? 2. Which is the best type of paint for a bathroom ceiling? 3. Should I even attempt to smooth out the imperfections in the ceiling with compound? (I'm willing to live with the lines and unevenness if I can just manage to get the paint to stay on).

The room has an exhaust fan and I have a dehumidifier.

Just looking for some advice before I begin and find myself with a much bigger mess than what I'm in right now.

Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to provide.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, coils in the ceiling. I know it's not efficient...lol was here when we bought the house. The only room we actually use this in is the bathroom and only for a very short time, every other day during the winter.

We heat with wood furnace. Bathroom isn't ducted for this.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.