Bathroom Ceiling, To Prime Or Not? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to kutsyy

bathroom ceiling, to prime or not?

I am repainting ceiling in the bathroom. Current paint is semi-gloss off-white in a good condition. I am planing to paint with white mate Aura Bath or Perma White.

I know that priming is recommended, but I will be putting 2 coats of paint anyway, so I am wondering if I really need a primer.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Vadim

Advertisement

kutsyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,542

seems like you made up your mind,,,,now if your asking for advice...lightly sand surface. install primer tinted to ceiling color then apply top coat...

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paint and primer are not the same thing. They do not come in the same can. Primer bonds to whatever surface and provides a surface to which the paint can stick.

If you are sure you have latex paint on the ceiling? And the surface is in good shape? Sand it lightly or use a chemical deglosser to scruff it up. Apply two coats of the new finish. You will not need a primer.

I you have any doubts about whether it is oil or latex, or if you have made patches and repairs, or the ceiling looks at all inconsistent do as Ben suggests and prime the surface after you scruff it up. I would use a superbonding latex primer. Then I would apply two coats of finish.

A brother in whites will love this. Use a 3/4" nap roller cover.

Last edited by user1007; 01-03-2012 at 03:32 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-03-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
seems like you made up your mind,,,,now if your asking for advice...lightly sand surface. install primer tinted to ceiling color then apply top coat...
I didn't made up my mind (I don't ask after I made up my mind ), just my wishful thinking. But seems like primer is way to go ;(
Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,222

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutsyy View Post
I didn't made up my mind (I don't ask after I made up my mind ), just my wishful thinking. But seems like primer is way to go ;(

only if it is oil up there or you have patches all over it.

I use 3/4 for almost everything
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
only if it is oil up there or you have patches all over it.

I use 3/4 for almost everything
It is latex and there are no patches all. Just color/texture change. What is 3/4?
Old 01-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sorry. We are talking about the nap thickness of the roller cover.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Sorry. We are talking about the nap thickness of the roller cover.
well, that's the one I use too
Old 01-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

assuming its latex semi gloss on ceiling now .clean any hair spray ,shampoo ,bla bla bla off ceiling .rinse clean as to not have any soap residue.let dry, lightly sand with fine sand paper to break gloss ,this takes depending on the size about 10 minutes. dust ceiling ,no primer is needed 2 coats finish paint ,dont rush dry times
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

Whoa! What's up with using 3/4 nap covers on smooth ceilings? In whose world?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
ltd (01-03-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Whoa! What's up with using 3/4 nap covers on smooth ceilings? In whose world?
I don't think anyone was talking about smooth ceiling to start with (at least I didn't).....

I'll leave discussion of the nap to you guys, but please start different thread.

Vadim

Last edited by kutsyy; 01-03-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
I don't think anyone was talking about smooth ceiling to start with (at least I didn't).....

I'll leave discussion of the nap to you guys, but please start different thread.

Vadim
Vadim, do you have a textured bath ceiling? If not, 3/4 is the wrong nap, especially with a sheen. It's not a "different" thread topic, the nap was suggested, you asked a question, and then said that's what you'll use too. You opened the door. Secondly, in answering the primer question, no one picked up on the paint choices. Perma White is a bath level product, Aura Matte is not or boderline, depending upon the bath. They're two very different products. You're choices should be between Perma White and Aura Bath and Spa, now you're considering apples to apples, not apples to oranges, but though both are bath paints, they're still different grades of product. You have to determine the enivonment it needs to perform in. If it's a small steamy bath, or you have issues with mold, or you have no ceiling fan, then I would consider the perma. Short of those issues, the Aura B&S will work fine. And, the B&S is a matte finish. Regular Aura Matte would be okay in a large airy bath, or in a bath where flat was previously used and there was no indication that it failed. That's the answer to what your question should have been.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Vadim, do you have a textured bath ceiling? If not, 3/4 is the wrong nap, especially with a sheen. It's not a "different" thread topic, the nap was suggested, you asked a question, and then said that's what you'll use too. You opened the door. Secondly, in answering the primer question, no one picked up on the paint choices. Perma White is a bath level product, Aura Matte is not or boderline, depending upon the bath. They're two very different products. You're choices should be between Perma White and Aura Bath and Spa, now you're considering apples to apples, not apples to oranges, but though both are bath paints, they're still different grades of product. You have to determine the enivonment it needs to perform in. If it's a small steamy bath, or you have issues with mold, or you have no ceiling fan, then I would consider the perma. Short of those issues, the Aura B&S will work fine. And, the B&S is a matte finish. Regular Aura Matte would be okay in a large airy bath, or in a bath where flat was previously used and there was no indication that it failed. That's the answer to what your question should have been.
Sorry if it went wrong way.

If you look at my original post, I said "... mate Aura Bath or Perma White", technically Perma White is eggshell and I should have said "Aura Bath & Spa". So I am not going with glossy, I specifically want to remove the gloss and ceiling is [unfortunately] textured, as a result 3/4 should be a right roller nip. Now, bath is fairly airy, so as you said other paints would probably work as well, but I'll probably go with Perma White if I find where to buy it.

Thanks,

Vadim

Last edited by kutsyy; 01-04-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,278

For future reference, if you have to ask "do I need Primer", 99% of the time, the answer is YES!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-04-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,222

Quote:
Sorry if it went wrong way.

If you look at my original post, I said "... mate Aura Bath or Perma White", technically Perma White is eggshell and I should have said "Aura Bath & Spa". So I am not going with glossy, I specifically want to remove the gloss and ceiling is [unfortunately] textured, as a result 3/4 should be a right roller nip. Now, bath is fairly airy, so as you said other paints would probably work as well, but I'll probably go with Perma White if I find where to buy it.

Thanks,

Vadim

I know I said I use 3/4 NAP most all the time, but you have to remember( or at least know) I have done this day in and day out for more than 20 years. I would NOT recommend this to a DYI. You should be using a 1/2 nip at most

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote