Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom ceiling paint is peeling

Last Sept I decided to paint my bathroom ceiling. I've lived here 20 years and it was starting to show some black stains. It's a textured ceiling and I read a bunch of entries on this site and did the following:

let the room dry out really well: electric heater for awhile, windows open when it wasn't raining, etc for a few days

painted over the existing paint w/ Zinsser cover stain high hide oil base primer

let it dry for a few days

covered that w/ sherwin williams bath paint satin finish latex

Everything looked great until a couple of months ago when the ceiling started to peel.

I've started to scrape and it's all coming off pretty easily. Did I screw up using an oil base primer then a latex top coat? I have plenty of both left but don't want to go thru the effort of re-applying them if it's just going to happen again.

The exhaust fan doesn't work but it never has and nothings ever peeled before.

not-real-handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 28

You can put latex over oil but not the other way around. There is something else going on there but I'll leave that to someone with more knowlege.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-real-handy View Post
Last Sept I decided to paint my bathroom ceiling. I've lived here 20 years and it was starting to show some black stains. It's a textured ceiling and I read a bunch of entries on this site and did the following:

Black stains = Moisture.

let the room dry out really well: electric heater for awhile, windows open when it wasn't raining, etc for a few days

Humidity = Moisture

painted over the existing paint w/ Zinsser cover stain high hide oil base primer

covered that w/ sherwin williams bath paint satin finish latex

Good choice of products.

Everything looked great until a couple of months ago when the ceiling started to peel.

Did it peel down to the drywall/lath and plaster depending on the age of your home? Or just down to the original paint?

I've started to scrape and it's all coming off pretty easily. Did I screw up using an oil base primer then a latex top coat? I have plenty of both left but don't want to go thru the effort of re-applying them if it's just going to happen again.

The exhaust fan doesn't work but it never has and nothings ever peeled
before

Here is number one problem, Fix ths!

A number of years with out a exhaust fan will let water accumulate, thus your problematic paint job. After you have fixed your fan, take a dehumidifier to your bathroom, turn it on and wait for a couple of day with the exhaust fan taking air out as well. Plus --------Do not use the room for showers or baths if possible. You will be very surprised at just how much water the dehumidifier will take out of your room. Then go through your entire process once again for a better result. Remember to run your Exhaust fan after every bathing for about 20 minutes there after.

Good Luck..................

Last edited by mark942; 06-04-2010 at 06:24 AM.
mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

The ceiling is peeling down to the drywall and scrapes off amazingly easily.
not-real-handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

I agree with humidity being the problem behind the problem (?). In my line of work, doing home repairs, when I have the opportunity to replace a bath exhaust fan I highly suggest to the customer that they allow me to install a timed switch for the bath exhaust fan even is the bath light it on the same circuit. MOST people will NOT remember to leave their bath exhaust fan units running after leaving the bath area, or don't want to bother to return 10-20 minutes later to turn the fan/light off. A timed switch takes care of this--just leave it run and it turns off by itself later allowing the exhaust fan to do what it was intended to do. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

I would not bet the farm, but I would bet a saw buck moisture is the culprit. Scrape off every thing you can, being careful as to not gouge up the drywall. No need for more work than necessary. Then do as I suggested in my previous post............................. Good Luck to you....................

Good Call Thurman..........................

Last edited by mark942; 06-04-2010 at 08:55 AM.
mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote