Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
Nit Picky Impatient Wife

Share |
Question

Bathroom Ceiling

My husband replaced our bathroom ceiling fan and had to cut out/patch some of the drywall to fit the new insert. He sucks at mudding, so it looks like crap, but I am hoping that once I paint and put the fan cover on that it will not be too noticible.

My question is, since the ceiling has already been painted with the exception of the mud around the fan area, do I have to start over with primer or can I just get the recommended bathroom moisture/mildew resistant paint that I read about on other threads here? I do not have any water stains or peeling at this point and it currently has what looks like a semi-gloss paint on it. I have not painted it since we bought the house, so I am unsure exactly.

One other question...Our kitchen ceiling was painted with textured paint, but it is really uneven and sloppy, as in the texture is thick in some areas and really thin in others. Is there any way to correct that?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Last edited by TripleA; 06-21-2007 at 09:45 AM.
TripleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:50 PM   #2

Bathroom Ceiling

I would sand the mud down and put another lighter skim coat of mud, if it does look bad as you said. I then would sand the mud making it look even. Scuff the semigloss ceiling finish so that you get good adhesion. Spot prime the mudded areas. Then apply the top coat.
As far as the texture ceiling goes, not sure if i am picturing it correctly or not, If it is texture paint you could repaint with the same texured paint applying it evenly. Now if it is a texture like popcorn, or a mud drop texture that would be different.

Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Bathroom Ceiling

Welcome to the site TripleA
Although I am loath to supply anyone with any more nit ammo, I will try and help

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleA View Post
My husband replaced our bathroom ceiling fan and had to cut out/patch some of the drywall to fit the new insert. He sucks at mudding, so it looks like crap, but I am hoping that once I paint and put the fan cover on that it will not be too noticible.
Whups...I didn't get to far w/o the nits, did I?
Before "hoping" and setting yourselves up for a big disappointment, test fit the fixture first to see if it's even close...it would have to be a pretty big cover
Really, the best thing to do is get it as good as you possibly can before continuing
Cover ups after the fact rarely do

Quote:
My question is, since the ceiling has already been painted with the exception of the mud around the fan area, do I have to start over with primer or can I just get the recommended bathroom moisture/mildew resistant paint that I read about on other threads here? I do not have any water stains or peeling at this point and it currently has what looks like a semi-gloss paint on it. I have not painted it since we bought the house, so I am unsure exactly.
You would need to "spot prime" the repair
The mud needs to be sealed, and the paint needs a good base for adhesion (mud isn't)
If you simply painted over the repair, it would look funny as it sucked up the paint and changed the sheen, and would risk failure, especially in a bathroom... even more so around an exhaust fan

Quote:
One other question...Our kitchen ceiling was painted with textured paint, but it is really uneven and sloppy, as in the texture is thick in some areas and really thin in others. Is there any way to correct that?
Sorry, not really no
Technically, if it is a decent texture and still available (say, sand paint), you could try mixing your own and filling in the spots that are thin
But the chances of this working well and looking good are very, very, low
It would be a decent sized, messy project, (you'd have to prime, then paint texture, then paint paint) that would probably still look bad

If it is a "popcorn" texture, sometimes a skilled hand can add some more (you can get it in spray cans) to blend in a bit

Some pics might help to determine if it's a possibility or candidate
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote