Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Ceiling

Hello guys, just got done doing a complete renovation of the bathroom. On my ceiling i put new drywall up, 1 coat of True Value brand primer and 2 coats of True Value brand kitchen/bath flat ceiling paint. I have a brand new exhaust fan installed and is functioning properly.

When you run the shower, where the screws are, the ceiling looks wet. The joints are fine it's just the screws. I compounded over them and like I said I have 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of paint on the ceiling. Now, up in my attic I haven't replaced the old insulation over the bathroom yet, so I was kind of thinking it may be that the screws are cold and water is beading up. Or the primer I used wasn't the proper one and I need to re-primer/seal the ceiling and paint it again.

Any help is appriciated, I'm about to crown mold and if I have to repaint, I'd like to do it now.

jcv400ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
jack of all master of one

Bathroom Ceiling

if can see the screws under the mud then they are not in the drywall far enough be sure that they are just blow the surface (not to far or they rip the paper and the screws hold nothing) wipe mud on and cleanly off 3 times (let dry between applications) then lightly sand till surface is smooth apply drywall primer over all mud then spot paint the screw hole's and apply one coat over entire ceiling so that the paint becomes uniform (note: when using deep base or clear base colors it is usally better to recoat the whole ceiling a few times because with out a tinted primer the pigment of the paint becomes very visiable over white spots) i hope this helps but feel free to message me if this is not the soultion to your problem.

hammerstedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #3

Bathroom Ceiling

No, i have the screws countersunk enough. You can't see the drywall screws at all. It's the exact shape of the drywall compound that I put over the screws. It's weird and it's almost as it it's starting to pull away from the ceiling. That may just be an optical illusion since it's wet looking.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #4

Bathroom Ceiling

That is normal and you answered you own question, it's just that they are colder and will be the first place the moisture will accumulate. Another layer of insulation may help but it's no big deal.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #5

Bathroom Ceiling

Whew! I was hoping that was it. Now I don't have to paint again. Wasn't looking forward to that at all. I'll just have to insulate better.

Thanks man!