Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Ceiling

Paint was peeling in the bathroom - I've removed all the loose stuff in some places removing what looks like a skim of plaster or drywall mud. I've now got a height descrepancy of up to 3/32 of an inch in places.

From reading around on the site it sounds like joint compound should be used to bring the surface level followed by good surface prep - sanding entire bathroom, wiping with damp TSP+bleach, wiping with just water followed by zisser primer and bathroom paint.

As time is somewhat a factor for me and there are obviously signifiant waiting periods between paint coats, drying times after wiping, joint compound curing ect. I wanted to get some advise regarding the leveling of the surface.

What sort of prep is required prior to the joint compound? Is just sanding enough or do I need the rinse and dry before application. Can I use something like easi-fil drywall compound (I've got it on hand) or does it need to be something else? I think that it might shrink during curing - is that a problem or should I just apply more than required to compensate (v.s. a couple thinner coats which might take more time overall).

Cheers,

Colin

slader99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #2

Bathroom Ceiling

To be honest, unless there's lots of dust on the area to be patched, I don't do any prep. I mix up a batch of quickset joint compound. You can buy it in bags of 20, 45, or 90 minute set times. Apply this to your holes. Allow to dry about 2 hours just to be safe. Then apply regular joint compound and allow to dry overnight. You could cheat and use more quickset, but, it's a bear to sand. Next day, sand, clean, prime, and paint.......you're done!

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Bathroom Ceiling

I'm wondering what was causing the original problem. Might be to go straight to mud might lead to same result.
I would have a tendancey to take where you are ( loose material removed) - take a 12" mud blade and make sure you don't have anything hanging- prime with gardz to lock it up, skim (3/32nds is nothing- and inch is a real fill!)
sand, prime paint.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:28 AM   #4

Bathroom Ceiling

Thanks for the advise guys.

Roughed up my surface, went over it with the vac to get any loose dust. Went with the quickset (they don't call it quickset for nothing!). I'll do a light sand and final skim coat tomorrow.

How long do people recommend I leave between my TSP/water wipe down and the primer application? How long between the primer application and my final coat of paint? How long between paint and then caulking?

Cheers,

Colin.
slader99 is offline   Reply With Quote