Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathroom

The tile in my bathroom is mint green. I want to get away from all of the walls in my house being white. Any ideas on what color to paint that will be different but go with my tiles?

bryankimjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

bathroom

Depends on the look you're after. A light blue will give a nice contemporary look. Blue and green combo is in style now. Just try to keep the value of the blue equal or less than the green. The darker color will be "weightier", and the heavier color should be on the bottom, just a general rule of thumb, else the room could feel out of balance. There are a lot of ways you could go. When you're out and about look for color combos where they pair something with green and decide which combo you like. Look at clothes, bedding, draperies, decorations, ads/marketing, logos, artwork, etc. Someone else paid to pick that combo.
I did a job years ago, a full interior for an old lady. It was a typical old lady house, with old lady furniture and decorations. I get to the living room and bam. A room full of lime green leather furniture, chrome/glass tables, and modern wall hangings. She had won a prize of a room of her choice of furniture. I think that was the room the furniture store was hoping she would pick, lol. She wanted to paint it white to tone it down. I talked her into painting it in a robins egg blue. I wouldn't let her see it until it was fully done and put back together, and to settle her uncertainty I promised I would repaint it white free if she didn't like it. At the reveal she gasped and started to cry. She loved it. It looked great. As much as lime green leather furniture is not my taste, it really popped against the blue walls.
I painted a mud room once in purple and green, green walls and purple trim. We called it the Barney room, she laughed. It sounds crazy but it really looked sharp when done.

Last edited by jsheridan; 02-17-2013 at 12:50 PM.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

bathroom

Thank you. The green is on the bottom and very light. A mint green. So you think whatever color I choose should be even lighter since it will go on top?
bryankimjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

bathroom

Whenever two colors are on a wall, as in a chair rail situation, the darker, or heavier, color usually goes on the bottom. It's just a rule of thumb, one I'm sure can be ignored in certain situations and done successfully. Generally though, yes. Look for a pastel of whatever color groups you consider.
Are you old enough to remember peach and sea foam green? I've seen hints that's making a comeback, get ahead of the curve, lol.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote