Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #1

Share |

basic white paint

What is a good basic pure white paint for walls with satin sheen? The walls are a dull white now. I painted one wall with Valspar white and had to paint a second coat. It was very blotchy. Can you paint white over white with one coat? Thanks for any input.

mcl6302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #2

basic white paint

A good paint to use is Benjamin Moore....

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:06 AM   #3

basic white paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl6302 View Post
What is a good basic pure white paint for walls with satin sheen? The walls are a dull white now. I painted one wall with Valspar white and had to paint a second coat. It was very blotchy. Can you paint white over white with one coat? Thanks for any input.

I like P&L's ceramic porcelain satin white for interior wal
ls. the most stain resistant paint on the market!

http://www.prattandlambert.com/pdf/p...heets/3800.pdf
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:00 AM   #4
Enough is Enough

basic white paint

To get rid of the blotchiness, try thinning the paint. I thin primers and paints. Brushes, rolls, and sprays smoother.

The paint companies tell you not to thin...in order to make you buy more paint. Great sales tactic, eh?

Paints are just a carrier, and a pigment. By thinning it, you won't change the color.
H. A. S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #5

basic white paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. A. S. View Post
To get rid of the blotchiness, try thinning the paint. I thin primers and paints. Brushes, rolls, and sprays smoother.

The paint companies tell you not to thin...in order to make you buy more paint. Great sales tactic, eh?

Paints are just a carrier, and a pigment. By thinning it, you won't change the color.
Bad advice. Most Paints are to be thinned ONLY UP TO 10%. Anymore and you dilute the quality of resins, binders, and titanium dioxide levels. Won't cover at all. You can thin most acrylic paints UP TO 12 OUNCES OF WATER PER GALLON. Don't add any more, trust me.
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #6

basic white paint

water works in the summer but i would always use floterol in the winter. the other problem is valspar and white. it's a very hit and miss paint with whites. the flats often suck but satin and semigloss lays down alright but you really really have to be a good painter with an eye for coverage for it to turn out well. sherwin williams has a paint at a similar price point called classic 99 that's easier to work with. valspar is 25 a gallon and classic is 27 since they give 10% as a home owner discount. for those who haven't used the non signature valspar it's already a thin paint which lends itself well to use in an airless but it's just not a good choice for brushing or rolling unless you really want to pay attention. their darker colors often cover well but the white just isn't very good.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

basic white paint

You have now learned that buying paint at the big box store is a big mistake( at least it was not Behr which is by far worse than Valspare). Go to a real paint store that sells paint and you will not have this problem ever again.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote