Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #1

Share |

Basement wall problems

My question is will drylok basement paint cover water stains. or should a primer coat be used first?
Also having a problem with effervescence, the white powder forming. I read I can just wire brush the powder and drylok will cover it. Is this true, I have linoleum flooring and do not want to deal with Muratic acid.
I put a new gutter and downspout on and extended past the grade on the house. d I am dealing with the water problem first!
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Basement wall problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
My question is will drylok basement paint cover water stains. or should a primer coat be used first?
Also having a problem with effervescence, the white powder forming. I read I can just wire brush the powder and drylok will cover it. Is this true, I have linoleum flooring and do not want to deal with Muratic acid.
I put a new gutter and downspout on and extended past the grade on the house. d I am dealing with the water problem first!

NO, Drylock can only be used on previously un painted masonary.
I would go with the oil based, maybe that will cover the stains, maybe. If not, then after the Drylack cures, you can paint it( first hitting the stains with Bin)

Use DRYLOK with adequate ventilation.
When
applying DRYLOK in a closed area, such as a
basement, be certain there is good air flow. Open
windows and doors and use an exhaust fan to

provide adequate ventilation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #3

Basement wall problems

After further research I found out you are correct. I was thinking this shellac primer is going to be the best. It is double the price of all the other primers, which is not a problem. It is a very high odor primer which is going to be a real problem. They make an odor free primer but not sure how well it will work. The can says most surfaces. The shellac primer is good for concrete. Also how do I clean the wall with acid and rinse and clean up over linoleum flooring. .
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote