Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Basement Floor Paint

Hello;

I'd like to put down a touch up coat of paint on the floor in my utility room in my basement. It is poured concrete, likely with a vapor barier of some sort, as it has never leaked or shown any signs of water present. It has been painted in the past, but is flaking up in many areas.

I have a commercial floor scrubber and will scrub the area and remove all loose paint.

In a few years, when I get some other projects done, I'll put down some VCT's in this area.

I am wondering what I can get away with that will work for now? I don't really want to spent the money on the epoxy type paints for a floor that I know I will cover over within a couple years.

I'm not positive if the current paint is oil or latex. My guess is Oil since it flakes up and does not seem elastic at all.

Do you think I could just get a can of bulls eye oil base, have it tinted and do a coat or two with that?

Does BIN work well in a situation like this?

Could I do a coat of BIN, then a coat of latex? I have some pretty high end latex lying around I could use. (Benjamin Moore).

Thanks,

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Basement Floor Paint

Sherwin Williams Shercrete, it is a flexible waterproofer for masonry that can be used on walking surfaces and vertical surfaces interior-exterior, clean the floor, degrease, scrape and remove any loose/flaking paint and apply two coats of Shercrete

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
jamiedolan (07-12-2010)
Old 07-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
General Contractor

Basement Floor Paint

I have use the rustoleum garage floor paint on basement floors and have not had any problems with it. It is a 2 part epoxy and goes on smooth.
developer-gspr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to developer-gspr For This Useful Post:
jamiedolan (07-15-2010)