Basement Floor - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 133

Basement floor

I want to paint my basement floor. What can you all recommend? Tip?

Advertisement

cincinnati guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Basement floor

I just went through this and finished it a couple days ago.

Paint concrete floor to eliminate dusting (not epoxy)

I used S-W Porch & Floor Enamel over Loxon Conditioner. The general consensus here was that I didn't need the Loxon Conditioner but another said I should. I'm sure I could have gotten away without using it, and S-W Porch & Floor Enamel doesn't state it needs anything under it.

Advertisement

Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave88LX For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 538

Basement floor

You should first check for moisture in the floor making sure you have no moisture issues that could cause a floor coating to fail. Tape a piece of plastic about 1 foot ssquare down in a few areas of the floor. Tape all sides of the plastic down. Wait at least 24 hours and then check to see if any moisture is present on the inside of the plastic. If you have a moisture issue that will need to be resolved first.
If the pofile of the concrete floor is smooth the profile will need to be roughen up first, almost like 120 grit sandpaper. The easiest way to do this would be using an etching product like H&C etching solution which can be found at Sherwin Williams.
Prior to the etching I would clean the floor well, vacuum/sweep then use a degreasing detergent, then etch and rinse well. If you have a floor drain push the water into the drain and if not use a wet/dry shop vac for the water.
With most concrete floor coatings a primer is not recommended and can actually cause some coatings to fail.
We like using H&C solid masonry stain on basement floors that will only receive foot traffic. This can be found at Sherwin Williams too. SW Porch and floor paint will also work, our preference is the H&C solid stain.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 274

Basement floor

If you can share some colors combination, then we will be suggest you in a better way.
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote