Basement Color Help... Ideas? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2011, 02:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Basement Color Help... Ideas?

I am just going to throw up some pictures of my basement, currently under construction, and see what you guys think of for colors? There are no windows, and the final lighting is not installed yet (can lights) We are hoping to paint this coming week, but the wife and I cannot come to a decision on what colors we want. If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated Here I have a "360" view of the room... We are looking for a cool colored room to make it open up a little bit. It will have a suspended ceiling, white grid, and white/grey panels. The wife does like accent walls also...

The gray is our primer, base and casing will be white...ish..

View coming down the stairs..

Going to the left.. The "back wall" with the higher outlets will be a wet bar/prep area type deal. About 1/2 of the wall length will be bar/tile backsplash.

And more... This is where the TV will be hung, where the upper outlet is.

And still more..

Media Closet and storage

Back to the start, looking towards laundry room door.

This is our flooring, incase that gives any inspiration..

Thanks for any help that I get! I am colorblind when it comes to this stuff

Advertisement

Last edited by casper129; 12-25-2011 at 10:16 AM.
casper129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 534

My guess is you did not get a permits for any of this work. The reason I mentioned it, with no windows it's againt code. You needed points of egress.
Also did you sheetrock the underside of those stairs. If it's open under there for lets say storage then it needed to be rocked.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #3

It is not rocked yet. That closet will be one of the last things finished since I will be running lots of data/cable wires through it... And no, I did not pull a permit for it.. BUT, I did go to the city hall, and the lady there even told me that many people don't pull permits for basement work, "So I wouldn't worry about it much" But I did have the electrical inspected by an electrician, and I did fireblocking correctly and such. Built as much of it up to code as possible. Also, from what I understood, as long as it's not a bedroom, we didn't need to put an egress window in? At least that's how most houses are around here. (I checked out a few neighbors houses, and have been in many friends basements.. and have never seen an egress window in a non bedroom??...)
Old 12-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

As far as colors- kind of a pointless question unless you say something about all the other elements- flooring, furniture , accessories etc. that will be going in there.
You should either pull a color or compatible one from something like that.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #5

I did give a picture of the flooring that goes in there, and the furniture will be a light tan color. Do I want the color of the walls to contrast with the furniture so they stand out? There will also be a mahogany colored fireplace in the corner on the "tv wall"... As for other accessories, who knows?
Old 12-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,066

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
My guess is you did not get a permits for any of this work. The reason I mentioned it, with no windows it's againt code. You needed points of egress.
Also did you sheetrock the underside of those stairs. If it's open under there for lets say storage then it needed to be rocked.
Only if it's a bedroom do you need a window and one you can escape out of.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That's not true. It's only bedrooms that need egress windows. And even that code varies from municipality to municipality.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper129 View Post
I did give a picture of the flooring that goes in there, and the furniture will be a light tan color. Do I want the color of the walls to contrast with the furniture so they stand out? There will also be a mahogany colored fireplace in the corner on the "tv wall"... As for other accessories, who knows?
My thoughts are that in a basement, you want light. But honestly, it's all about personal taste.

A couple years ago I finished of our basement. Light maple flooring, a light slate blue for the walls, and white trim. We like it. Below is a picture of one of the corners, when the room was almost finished.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

nice
ltd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #10

Dr. Hicks - On my screen the walls looks grey. Is it more of a greyish with a blue hue to it in person? Also, the house was built with no windows in the basement.. is that what you're referring to? Or are you saying since I finished that area of it, I needed to put a window (of any size) in?
Old 12-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

I think you should pull one of the lighter colors out of the floor. If it was mine, I'd look at some chips with burnt orange tones. Or, maybe a nice lighter brown. It has a fairly exotic look, so it would support some exotic color and decor. I'll ask since no one else has, What are your plans for the ceiling?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
I think you should pull one of the lighter colors out of the floor. If it was mine, I'd look at some chips with burnt orange tones. Or, maybe a nice lighter brown. It has a fairly exotic look, so it would support some exotic color and decor. I'll ask since no one else has, What are your plans for the ceiling?
That's one thing I accidentally did right in our basement room. There was 8mm DuPont laminate flooring on sale at (gasp!) Home Depot for 41 cents sq ft. It's "Maple" in shade, which is far lighter than I'd want for any room above grade, but it worked great for the basement.

Aaaaaand, the truth is, my wife chooses all the colors, and color combos in our house. She's got the eye.

Last edited by DrHicks; 12-26-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #13
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper129 View Post
Dr. Hicks - On my screen the walls looks grey. Is it more of a greyish with a blue hue to it in person? Also, the house was built with no windows in the basement.. is that what you're referring to? Or are you saying since I finished that area of it, I needed to put a window (of any size) in?
It's very much a blue. I'd describe it (poorly) as a slate blue, maybe a blue-gray, but when you walk down you would immediately notice the blue.

Regarding egress windows... I'm assuming you know that, by definition, "egress" means "exit." An egress window is one you can open and escape from, in case of a fire in the house.

Whether "code" requires you to have one in any/every basement room, depends on your local municipality. However, if it were my house, I would NEVER have my kids in basement bedrooms without having an egress window in each one.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

Personally, I like a high level of contrast between the walls and the furniture. With darker colored walls, I prefer lighter colored furniture, and with lighter walls, darker furniture.

In this case, I wouldn't choose a color that's extremely light or extremely dark. I would go with a middle of the road neutral hue for a few reasons. With no natural lighting, a dark color may appear to be darker than it really is. A color that's very light would help compensate for the lack of natural light, but it may blend in with the floor, furniture, and ceiling. A neutral color of medium 'saturation' will have a lighter overall look than a non-neutral of equal saturation while still providing contrast to the other elements of the room.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #15

Alright guys, thanks for your input. Today we are going to go get a few paint samples and see what they look like. Jay - I know what you mean by the color may look darker than it really is.. that's what happened with my grey primer. In the store, I thought it looked super light.. and once it was on the wall, wow, did it look dark. Jsheridan - The wife was thinking the same thing about putting a lighter color from the flooring. I like the way DrHicks basement looks, as I like the greyer/pale-er? colors, and the wife likes vibrant colors. Also, the ceiling will be a drop ceiling.. It will still be rather high (7ft.-ish) but we haven't picked out the tiles yet for that. We figure we will use a basic white/grey colored tile, one that is common. In the end, the wife will make the choice tho.. :/

DrHicks - We had thought about doing an egress window in the area that I pictured.. but then we ran into the issues that on the long wall, is the garage, on the back wall, is our rear cement patio, and on the "front" wall is the walkway to the entrance of our house.. I don't plan on making a bedroom in the basement for a few years yet, and the room that will be a bedroom is already planned to have an egress window. It will be a guest room. My children won't be allowed to sleep down there. (don't have any kids yet tho.. 1st one is due in 17 days ) And I'm trying to accomplish as much as I can before the little bugger gets here ...

Advertisement