Is This As Bad As It Looks? (NOT 56K FRIENDLY) - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2011, 04:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is this as bad as it looks? (NOT 56K FRIENDLY)

My wife and I recently bought a house and had a baby, all in the same week. The house was a short sale purchased using a 203K renovation loan (that was a 6 month nightmare in itself). The bank almost auctioned the place out from under us three times and finally granted an extension after the final auction date had passed while the people writing our loan got their act together. We had 48 hours to get a bid to remove the badly chipping lead paint, so we called around and Home Depot were the only ones that promised us they could get all the paperwork through on time.

The contractors home depot assigned padded the bid, worse than I could have imagined, but we felt like we didn't have a choice and assumed it would be quality work.

This is what it looks like after 2 and a half months:

Advertisement

tintcleastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:31 AM   #2

We also paid them to replace some splitting shingles and all the moulding around the windows that was missing or slapped together using rough strips of wood and roofing nails. As you can see they didn't complete any of that, there is a bundle of shingles in my garage that they didn't use.

I am pretty sure they just primered right over the old loose lead paint. As the new paint is peeling up and bubbling over the entire house. I didn't hear much scraping going on when I was home.

Their boss has lied to us several times, telling us her crew hasn't been showing up for work, then they will appear a week later and tell me she had them out of town for the past week.

I've been playing phone tag with the contractor for a few weeks now. I'm getting the bank involved and have been trying to get her bosses on the other side of the state on the phone. If they ever show up or return my calls, I am not letting them do any more "work" on our house.

I'm probably going to have to get it sided now that is it getting too cold and wet to paint, and we only have 3 months before the HUD inspection. Hopefully our contract holds up.

The entire house looks like this. Has anybody seen worse from a "professional" crew?

Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,218

Get a lawyer, fast, and sue em.There is no excuse for work like that. The lead paint certainly was not removed and or encapsulated. A 4 year old child could do a better painting job.The HUD inspector will laugh himself sick
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
boman47k (09-29-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Get a lawyer, fast, and sue em.There is no excuse for work like that. The lead paint certainly was not removed and or encapsulated. A 4 year old child could do a better painting job.The HUD inspector will laugh himself sick
Absolutely. That is just unbelievable!
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Tint, I don't even know where to begin on this one. But I can tell you just what I think initially would bust the seams of this little text box. Unfortunately, this is all too common in this trade, as there is a healthy population of bottom feeding losers, so I'm not surprised. I've seen this, and worse. I am sorry that you got caught up in it.
1)As Chrisn said, meet with a lawyer, one who specializes in contract law, not a real estate lawyer, trial lawyer, or patent attorney. He may send a letter to HD and the contractor.
2)Depending on the amount and your states small claims laws, file a small claims suit naming the contractor and home depot.
3)Contact your states division on lead regulation. Just from the pictures, I can see a violation. You have paint chips sitting on the deck, don't clean them up. Sick them on the contractor, you'll be doing yourself and everyone else a favor. They'll also be interested to know that HD is arranging for contractors who don't quite understand RRP and don't follow its letter.
4)Contact HUD, explain the situation and the efforts you have undertaken. Don't keep this from them until they show up, keep them in the loop. They may work with you and they may even have some suggestions to help or may be able to bring some pressure to bear.
5)Stop trying to contact the contractor, they're laughing at you. Call HD, they won't laugh. Hit them hard, and keep insisting that you need to speak to the person above them. Update them on who you've contacted and the lengths you're willing to go to get your situation rectified. Then, if you arranged this through the store, go into the store and hit them hard, right in front of the customers. If they arranged for this contractor, they have some responsibility. The contractor will return their calls. You're not looking to have this crew finish the job. You're looking for a crew that can come out and do the job properly and that justifies the amount you paid. At this stage, with all you have behind you, steps 1-4, they're going to do whatever they can to make you happy.

Some may think this is all overkill, it's not. You need to get the job done properly without incurring more cost, and with this crew that's going to require an army behind you. You're not going to beat them single handedly.
If your desire is to have a home with wood siding, as opposed to vinyl, you shouldn't have to settle. You need to jump on this right away, yesterday really. I've seen a lot of people who have had serious issues with contractors, one customer just recently. The contractor will drag this out until you tire and go away. The people that I've seen who never get resolution, or an unsatisfactory one, are those who are squishy, including the recent one. I told them they were too soft, and they agreed. They ended up fixing it themselves, and he has their money. You need to hit these guys hard and fast and let them know in no uncertain terms that you can't accept anything less than full satisfaction. These vermin survive by eating the soft squishy ones, because they have no teeth. Don't be soft and squishy. Keep us posted, and Good Luck.
Joe
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #6

Unhappy

You'll laugh (or cry) when you hear how much this work came in at. I don't have the bid in front of me right now, but it was just short of $9000 I believe. That should have been enough to buy us an excellent paint job on our 1000sqft house.

The contractor came by at around 7AM in early August (work started middle of July) and pressured my wife into signing a document stating everything was done. This released $3500 to her, after which she went on vacation and progress pretty much ceased.

I'm glad you find this as appalling as we do. We have been trying to work with these people and avoid litigating (we can't really afford a lawyer right now) but I don't think we have any choice. Hopefully our bank will help us out, they own the house after all.

I'll update the thread if anything interesting happens.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #7

Tint, I believe that it is not what you tell people that hurts them, it's what you don't tell them. I'm sorry to say, but you're soft and squishy. These people have eaten you up, and they're laughing at you, right now. I know who they are and I know their game. Do you routinely let people walk all over you, or is it just dirtbag contractors? The bank is not going to do anything, as it's not their job to track down shady contractors in defense of you. That's your job to protect yourself and your family. There are people out there who will and can help you, but not until you reach out to them. These people you're dealing with know their business when it comes to cheating customers, and the only thing that gets their attention is heat, serious heat. And if you're not willing to give it to them, you're done, and you might as well forget about it and move on. They're on to the next chump. These people exist, and persist, because there are people like you, victims who refuse to defend themselves, who roll over. There are some here who will wipe your tears, but I'm not one of them. Stand up man, strap some on and get to work doing what you need to do--kick some asss. No apologies.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #8

Thanks for the pep talk coach, hah.

I called a few reputable local painters and a siding company, they are going to come out today and tomorrow and give me an estimate of how much it is going to cost to repair the damage that has been done and repaint or do vinyl siding. I'm also waiting on a recommendation for a good contract lawyer from a friend that does patent law.

If only we lived in a less civilized time...
Old 09-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintcleastwood View Post
Thanks for the pep talk coach, hah.

I called a few reputable local painters and a siding company, they are going to come out today and tomorrow and give me an estimate of how much it is going to cost to repair the damage that has been done and repaint or do vinyl siding. I'm also waiting on a recommendation for a good contract lawyer from a friend that does patent law.

If only we lived in a less civilized time...
The wild west had a positive effect on keeping the herd thinned, however, the six shooter has been replaced by the telephone and the blue pages. A lawyer is a good move, but with the right pressure on the right people, this could be resolved without litigation. A lawyer can get you a judgement, but that doesn't mean you'll see a dime. When Home Depot got involved they sanctioned these clowns, and they have a responsiblity. You need to go after them. They got a cut. The last thing they need or want is a p'off customer ranting about the shoddy contractors they send to their customer's homes. I'm sure your local paper would appreciate a sad human interest story about a simple homeowner, new dad, struggling to buy a new home for his new family, and bang, home depot comes along and shakes him down for nine grand. Trust me, your place would like an episode of American Great Home Makeover. But you still need to put some screws to the thieves that hit you. We're here, in part, to protect you from people like that. We need you to help all of us by making their life and operation as difficult as possible. I wouldn't consider what I said a pep talk. Harry "Give 'em Hell" Truman said "I don't give people hell, I just tell them the truth, and they think it's hell".
By the way, what area are you in?
Old 09-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
5)Stop trying to contact the contractor, they're laughing at you. Call HD, they won't laugh. Hit them hard, and keep insisting that you need to speak to the person above them. Update them on who you've contacted and the lengths you're willing to go to get your situation rectified. Then, if you arranged this through the store, go into the store and hit them hard, right in front of the customers. If they arranged for this contractor, they have some responsibility.
That's what I got to thinking too, after I left my first comment.

Go after Home Depot. Don't call them, just go in and go straight to the manager. Take all those pictures with you. Raise pure h3ll with them. When you're talking about the undeniable fact that they contractor they hired to remove lead paint & do the job right simply did NOT remove the lead paint, Home Depot has a lot riding on this.

Wow, crap like this really makes me mad!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
The wild west had a positive effect on keeping the herd thinned, however, the six shooter has been replaced by the telephone and the blue pages. A lawyer is a good move, but with the right pressure on the right people, this could be resolved without litigation. A lawyer can get you a judgement, but that doesn't mean you'll see a dime. When Home Depot got involved they sanctioned these clowns, and they have a responsiblity. You need to go after them. They got a cut. The last thing they need or want is a p'off customer ranting about the shoddy contractors they send to their customer's homes. I'm sure your local paper would appreciate a sad human interest story about a simple homeowner, new dad, struggling to buy a new home for his new family, and bang, home depot comes along and shakes him down for nine grand. Trust me, your place would like an episode of American Great Home Makeover.
...and all with Behr Paint.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
...and all with Behr Paint.
We don't live in a perfect world Dr.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
We don't live in a perfect world Dr.
Well maybe they can at least use some of that good old Behr Deck Stain. Latex.

Seriously though, wow. The more I look at those pictures the more furious I get! It's hard to believe that anybody would even try to do that, let alone think they could get by with it!

Last edited by DrHicks; 09-27-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Well maybe they can at least use some of that good old Behr Deck Stain.

Seriously though, wow. The more I look at those pictures the more furious I get! It's hard to believe that anybody would even try to do that, let alone think they could get by with it!
Makes me furious too, I just wish it affected HO that way.

Last edited by jsheridan; 09-27-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #15

Spokane, Washington.

Painter #1 said the only way to get the house back to how it was is to re-shingle. He wrote me a bid, $3400, to completely pressure wash and scrape away as much of the existing paint as possible without destroying the siding. He also uses a 3 man crew and won't need to borrow my miter saw and ladder (I'm not even kidding). He also promised to clean up after himself using his own facilities so I won't walk outside with a 9 pound bag of soiled diapers and find that my garbage can that was empty the day previous is full to the brim with paper and tape (they still somehow managed to spray primer all over the centers of my vinyl windows, must have been windy).

I've got nothing to do tomorrow afternoon so I think I will go ahead and get some prints made and pay home depot a visit.

Advertisement