Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Bad house paint job Brush marks everywhere

Ok. I bought a house that was built in 1960. The paint job in the house is bad. It looks like a previous owner painted the entire house with a brush. The brush marks are in multiple layers. I'm starting in a spare bedroom to see what the best solution to this would be to smoothen the wall so I can repaint the room and move on to the rest of the house. I am currently sanding with 120 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper and a bosch 5" orbital sander and its taking a bit of time to sand it smooth (the paint is a latex). What would be my best options to tackle this huge project?

jmf777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #2

If it were me, I would probably elect to fill rather than sand for two reasons. 1) I doubt you will be able to get the walls perfectly smooth with an orbital sander and will have to fill them anyways at some point, rendering the sanding a somewhat useless step. 2) A house built in the 60s presents a danger to exposure from lead dust if you were to sand down to the original coatings.

If the waves in the brush marks are extreme, you might elect to sand down some of the highest points and then fill the rest.

Good luck!

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #3

The house does not have lead paint. It was on the windows and they have been removed so lead gone. By filling do you mean with joint compound? Its what I was thinking.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #4

It's not just lead. You never know what kind of primers or paints they used which could contain xylene or many other chimicals you really don't want in your lungs. Always wear a mask while sanding.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #5

Dustless sander..check. Respirator...check. What would be the best way to fill. I was thinking joint compound.

Last edited by jmf777; 01-01-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
handpaintedbysteve.com

Hey jmf,
Lead was in all paints during the 60's not just enamels. Your walls and ceilings have it too. Personally I don't buy into the whole lead danger thing. As long as you don't use it as a topping on your ice cream you'll be OK, however DO wear a mask. Safety first.
Steve
www.handpaintedbysteve.com
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spraygunn For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (07-24-2011)
Old 01-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygunn View Post
Personally I don't buy into the whole lead danger thing.
Agreed, the same with asbestos. Basically, it's just a money making scheme for the government and the abatement companies who pay millions to lobbyists.
General is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to General For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (07-24-2011)
Old 01-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf777 View Post
The house does not have lead paint. It was on the windows and they have been removed so lead gone. By filling do you mean with joint compound? Its what I was thinking.
A house built in the 1960s would contain lead. Only at some point if the lead was removed (abated) then it would not contain lead. When a professional abatement company removes lead they fill out paper work that stays with the owner and gets passed down to the next owner etc. If you have nothing in writing saying that the house contains no lead I would use EPA lead certified testers before I did any sanding to be sure there is no lead. If there is lead and your sanding there is serious health risk for you and your family.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #9

I know. Its not that big of a deal as they try to make it. I used to work with an epoxy primer that was made with lead chromate which is mostly used with aerospace paint jobs. Its also used in marine applications. Any who I know all about the dangers with paint. I used to paint all kinds of crap for a gov. contractor, but looking for advice whether sanding is the way to go or a waste of time and should I skim coat the wall with joint compound or some other filler application so I can prime and paint the room. I also used EPA certified testers through out the house and found nothing. except on the windows and they were removed and replaced and disposed of by certified professionals.

P.S. for the guy that posted above me. Not all homes in the 60's where painted with lead based paint. As a matter of fact my parents older home was built in the late 50's and and was tested by an abatement company prior to buying and had no trace of lead whatsoever and yes they had paperwork stating this fact. Thanks to all so far who has responded to my thread any response is a helpful response.

Also not trying to start a debate on lead based paint...I know it gets ugly from that point on once the line is crossed.

So Joint compound?

Last edited by jmf777; 01-01-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
handpaintedbysteve.com

Hey jmf,

Lightly sand the walls with a sanding pole and 100 grit black sanding pole paper just to knock off the high spots, then use plus 3 redimix drywall compound to skim coat the ENTIRE wall or ceiling. Lightly sand when dry, prime using a good quality vinyl primer then finish. A lot of work, but should look better. Don't know if it will ever be a new penny.
Good Luck,
Steve
www.handpaintedbysteve.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spraygunn For This Useful Post:
DrHicks (01-01-2011), jmf777 (01-01-2011)
Old 01-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #11

thanks for the info spraygunn
Old 01-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #12

have you tried a couple coats of a good thick primer to get rid of the brush marks. If you could get that to work it sure would be easier than skimming or sanding. I would try a test area and see if that will work. good luck!
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guest For This Useful Post:
jmf777 (01-01-2011)
Old 01-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #13

I'll pick up some primer tomorrow and try a small spot and see how many coats it takes before skim coating. I need to primer before skim coating anyway since the paint is a semi-gloss. Thanks

By the way spraygunn, I checked out your website and you do serious nice work man. Hats off to you

Last edited by jmf777; 01-02-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:21 AM   #14
handpaintedbysteve.com

Thanks jmf, much appreciated.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by General View Post
Agreed, the same with asbestos. Basically, it's just a money making scheme for the government and the abatement companies who pay millions to lobbyists.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/08/wo...eadpoison.html

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote