Bad Finishing Job - Painted W/semi Gloss - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bad finishing job - painted w/semi gloss

My contractor is pretty good with a lot of things but dry wall isn't one of them. He left my new bathroom walls in bad shape. It was totally gutted bathroom, with all new dry wall. I assumed the finishing job was finished as he left it that way and said was ready for painting.
Naturally, I wanted semi gloss as its a bathroom. There is a window opposite one wall. The paint is a deep rich red color. Every little defect and rough surface on that wall shines! Looks terrible after a prime coat and two coats of semi gloss.
What can I do to get it smooth now that it has three layers of paint on it? Some areas look really rough like he did not even use a skim coat. I'm so dissatisfied with this as I paid a small fortune for this bathroom.
I'm not saying anything to him about it. Just trying to fix it myself.

Advertisement

Donna17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,300

You used semi-gloss on the walls--that is unusual--egg shell is usually the most gloss that is used on a wall---

Typically, on new work, the walls are primed---then defects are spotted--and fixed--those patches are then primed---the walls lightly sanded--

That is when the top coats go on.

You aren't an experienced professional painter---so I'll bet you didn't know that the new work needed so much prep work---

I have had issues with homeowners attempting to paint my new drywall work----so now, the price includes priming--so we can catch and correct the minor flaws before the painter shows up.

Advertisement

Donna17 (07-09-2014), Gymschu (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You used semi-gloss on the walls--that is unusual--egg shell is usually the most gloss that is used on a wall---

Typically, on new work, the walls are primed---then defects are spotted--and fixed--those patches are then primed---the walls lightly sanded--

That is when the top coats go on.

You aren't an experienced professional painter---so I'll bet you didn't know that the new work needed so much prep work---

I have had issues with homeowners attempting to paint my new drywall work----so now, the price includes priming--so we can catch and correct the minor flaws before the painter shows up.
The primer was white flat paint which didn't show grainy bad finishing.

I'd like to move this thread to the paint area because I need advice. I already know what I did wrong.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 686

If you where shooting for a deep red color the primer also should have been tinted gray or at least to 50% of the color you where going for.
It may take about 5 coats of real paint to get it so the flaws do not show.
Did you run your hand over the wall to see if you can feel these flaws.
100% sure it not the way it being painted?
Cheap rollers, to low a nap roller cover, cheap paint, improper use of the roller can all cause issues.
Where not there to see it, no one here knows if you have ever painted before or what your using so some questions needed to be asked and some pictures would be great.
Donna17 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,300

I moved this to 'painting' for you--
Donna17 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,300

Do a search on "skim coating" on here. That's about your only option at this point if you really want to correct all of those flaws. Personally, if a contractor messed it all up like that, it's his responsibility to fix it. You really should contact him. He likely hired a drywall subcontractor and may be unaware of the poor workmanship.

Oops, I see on your other thread that you want to avoid having to skim coat. In that case, you should get a random orbital sander with 80 grit sandpaper and knock all the high spots down. It can be fairly aggressive so be careful that you don't cause even more damage. You will still have to spackle/mud low spots and areas the sander may damage.

Last edited by Gymschu; 07-08-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Donna17 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 04:01 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna17 View Post
My contractor is pretty good with a lot of things but dry wall isn't one of them. He left my new bathroom walls in bad shape. It was totally gutted bathroom, with all new dry wall. I assumed the finishing job was finished as he left it that way and said was ready for painting.
Naturally, I wanted semi gloss as its a bathroom. There is a window opposite one wall. The paint is a deep rich red color. Every little defect and rough surface on that wall shines! Looks terrible after a prime coat and two coats of semi gloss.
What can I do to get it smooth now that it has three layers of paint on it? Some areas look really rough like he did not even use a skim coat. I'm so dissatisfied with this as I paid a small fortune for this bathroom.
I'm not saying anything to him about it. Just trying to fix it myself.

first major mistake
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 274

Eh,
While I'm new to this I don't know how much of a mistake semi-gloss is.
I've been using satin on both my walls and ceilings after skimcoating terrible 120-150yr old plaster. There are imperfections, but I do my best.

I believe our bathroom is done in what Valspar calls "soft-gloss" and it's just a hair below semi-gloss and is their standard bathroom / kitchen paint.

Honestly, if it's all new drywall I'd expect to be able to paint it in semi-gloss if not high-gloss and see few imperfections. The point of my response is I feel choosing semi-gloss wasn't necessarily a mistake, whoever did the tape and mudding was the mistake.
http://youtu.be/y2LWjT3e7uQ
cj133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cj133 For This Useful Post:
Donna17 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If you where shooting for a deep red color the primer also should have been tinted gray or at least to 50% of the color you where going for.
It may take about 5 coats of real paint to get it so the flaws do not show.
Did you run your hand over the wall to see if you can feel these flaws.
100% sure it not the way it being painted?
Cheap rollers, to low a nap roller cover, cheap paint, improper use of the roller can all cause issues.
Where not there to see it, no one here knows if you have ever painted before or what your using so some questions needed to be asked and some pictures would be great.
I used a piece of fine sanding paper (because it was all I had) and sanded it and then wiped off with damp cloth. I can see grainy spots but when i run my hand over it, it feels somewhat smoother. Maybe rather than skimming yet, I'll get a better sanding block and sand it a little more then try re-painting. I only had two coats of the red. With that window light falling on that wall, I'm wondering if that one wall (which starts from about 5 feet from floor because tiled under that) should be finished with satin instead of semi gloss but guess I won't know till I try sanding and another coat.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
first major mistake
I have read they recommend that in bathrooms where you have high moisture from steam etc. This wall is right next to shower.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #11

After sanding use a damp grout sponge and rub the compound. You'll find it slightly softens and rubs it smooth. If you try too much you can even completely remove the joint compound.

This only works on unpainted compound so if it's painted don't bother.

I often do this without sanding at all.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,548

Semi gloss is fine in a bathroom theoretically - it's mostly aesthetics, and protects as good or better than eggshell. But to the same extent, it will show flaws as much or more than eggshell. I personally don't like glossy paint, but if someone asks to put it in their bathroom I would certainly do it. I'd advise that the walls need to be perfect or nearly so, though.

What you probably need to do is give all the walls a light sanding, then patch the roughest areas and then skim coat the entire surface. I prefer the following technique (although I would never need 3 layers as they state. I would do 1 or rarely 2, you might need 2 but I fail to see how 3 would ever be necessary unless you are really horrible at this.)

http://www.familyhandyman.com/drywal...kim-coat-walls

Then prime with a good quality drywall sealer tinted to the correct shade of gray recommended by the paint manufacturer for your shade of red (if using Sherwin Williams, the correct shade of gray is specified in a code on the actual paint sample chip.) If you can't put that much tint in the primer/sealer, then you will need a separate color primer coat, or be resigned to possibly an extra coat of finish paint. Gray color primer isn't required, just preferred.

The days of 5 coat coverage with deep or bright reds is gone. If you have to put on that many coats, you're simply using cheap paint. If using a highly opaque paint such as Aura, you shouldn't need more than 2 coats. No high quality paint should need more than 3 coats, ever.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
cj133 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,548

By the way, I do understand the recommendation for more glossy paint in high humidity areas. Having said that, this pales in comparison to reducing the cause of the humidity to begin with, which usually means lack of ventilation. The gloss of the paint simply can't make up for a water issue, although it helps a small amount. It's far more important to have a high quality bathroom fan (compare CFMs) blowing through a good, open duct with no tight bends or kinks, than it is to use semi-gloss instead of egghsell paint.

http://www.homedepot.com/c/bath_fans_HT_BG_BA

People know little about bath fans - that's why builders use the cheapest fans they can install - 50 CFM at best - and don't always install the ducting correctly either. Building codes in some places don't even require a fan when the bathroom has a window, which is ridiculous - maybe worked before air conditioning, but not today.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
cj133 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #14

This is the main reason I went through hell installing a "fart fan" in our main bathroom which has an almost flat roof, was to get rid of moisture from showers. I couldn't care less about smell, that doesn't harm the house.

The previous owner had painted the bathroom in flat paint and there was no fan. After installing an 80 CFM Panasonic fan which I think was around $200 + all of the stuff to go with it our mirrors don't even fog up after a long shower. I was tempted to buy the 110 CFM version but it didn't seem necessary in our bathroom, also I think Panasonic's ratings are more realistic than the cheap units.

That, combined with soft-gloss paint and we no loner have any issues.

As you know, I hate flat paint and love gloss even with imperfections.

Advertisement