Back Of House Color Scheme Help Please - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Back of House Color Scheme Help Please

We desperately need help in selecting a new color scheme for the back wall of our home. Currently it is bright white. On a sunny day this hideous bright wall can be seen from the moon. Seriously, our lovely brick and partially wood siding home needs a face lift. We want to change the color of the wood siding, trim, gutters and garage door. Speaking of the garage door we would like it to be painted a different color from the wood siding.

To help you help us I am uploading reference photographs. We hope these photos give you a good overall look and nature of our residence.

Sometimes people simply respond with "use your personal preference" or "select a color found in your brick". While these responses are well meaning they do not bring us closer to selecting a true color scheme. Having looked at so many colors ourselves we are basically color blind. That is why we need a good opinions from folks like you. Please feel free to suggest any combinations or brands.

Thank you in advance and we truly look forward to your suggestions.

PHOTOS:
Back Wall & Garage Door, Color name "Bright White"
(Photo taken on a cloudy day and the very top of roof actually goes to a ridge) House Front in Summer, House Front in Winter, Brick closeup, Backyard image one, Backyard image two (Important note: We have a zero clearance lot. The brick wall you see in "Backyard image two" is our neighbor)
Attached Thumbnails
Back of House Color Scheme Help Please-062-back-house-2-001.jpg   Back of House Color Scheme Help Please-house-master-draft-1.jpg   Back of House Color Scheme Help Please-house-snow-mar-7-2008-1000.jpg   Back of House Color Scheme Help Please-047.jpg   Back of House Color Scheme Help Please-013.jpg  

Back of House Color Scheme Help Please-044.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by sore thumb; 05-08-2013 at 05:36 PM.
sore thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I am on it. Glad to see you took my advice! Doesn't get you off the hook for a donation to charity though alright? Back at you in a bit.

Do the deck, trellis, fence and all have a colored stain or protectorant of any kind on them now?

I had a dream I saw pictures like this before but the black shutters on the front of the house blew of in a tornado. The dream had lots of red sequen shoes and tiny dogs. I might have just remembered the latter from all that walk around my hood on a daily basis.

I was thinking of giving extra thanks because fi fi foo foo fake shutters that would never cover a window really bother me. I think they are hyper tacky, maybe even more so than most lawn ornaments. But in my dream, the owner with them on the house said they were gone.

I think your landscape designer should be sainted by the way. What nice work for a small space! I would invite myself for dinner in a heartbeat if I lived closer.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 05-08-2013 at 05:43 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I am on it. Glad to see you took my advice! Doesn't get you off the hook for a donation to charity though alright? Back at you in a bit.

Do the deck, trellis, fence and all have a colored stain or protectorant of any kind on them now?
How about we donate to a veterans fund or donate trees to burnt out forests? No, all of the cedar wood is left to fade to gray.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #4

Come on folks, do me a solid and provide your suggestions, any suggestions.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Sorry. It has been a zoo the last couple days but I have downloaded your photos and will take a pixel grabber to them soon.

I do see shutters on the garage side. Are they still there and to be factored into the color scheme? I know you mentioned the majority of the black ones on the front of the house blew off, correct?
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I took a first look at your situation by doing a color inventory of what you have now. I also assumed you are not planning to re-roof anytime soon or pour a new drive so those colors are a given. I sort of ignored the cedar since it will be left to age.

Anyhow my first suggestion has more to do with the value of whatever colors you pick for the garage facade. Value describes the same hue but in terms of its tint with white, or its shading wit black.

Right now the fact that the garage door and the construction above it are the same value seems wrong to me visually. It is like the garage does not have enough substance to be holding up the floor above it.

Anyhow I built a color wheel anchored on the color in your brick and then picked a split compliment not that far off from the hue of the shutters on the place now. My color wheel showed that it should have a bit more green. Look at the revised color pallette. Same colors just re-arranged with my greenish/grayish suggestion in the middle.

If you like it at all, I can dump it into a virtual painting simulator. What I am thinking is to paint the garage door a much deeper value of the hue you like than the same color but a lighter value of it for the floor above.I think this will make it look like the floor above the garage is actually sitting on something substantial enough to hold it up.

As for shutters I had two thoughts. I could pull in a deep value of the other split compliment hue, or we could abstract a nice deep gray, not black from the roof tile color.

Am I headed in the right direction here?
Attached Thumbnails
Back of House Color Scheme Help Please-existing-color-inventory.jpg   Back of House Color Scheme Help Please-adjusted-pallette.jpg  
Old 05-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Sorry. It has been a zoo the last couple days but I have downloaded your photos and will take a pixel grabber to them soon.

I do see shutters on the garage side. Are they still there and to be factored into the color scheme? I know you mentioned the majority of the black ones on the front of the house blew off, correct?
The siding, garage, shutters, gutters and all trim are included. The shutters should be a color that compliments the wood siding and garages new color. Disregard the shutters current green color.

Honestly, you are speaking above my color knowledge level. Suggest the color scheme you believe is best. My sincere thanks for your hard work.

Last edited by sore thumb; 05-09-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

First pass color consulting ideas for reaction. This time I added callouts. I can show you what it would look like on the house if I am close. I am not going to waste my time until near what you like on some former S California USAF missile humper.
Attached Thumbnails
Back of House Color Scheme Help Please-like-perhaps.jpg  
sore thumb (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

By the way, we should make sure your monitor is set to the standard industry color temp for viewing and talking about color. If yours is not, go into your settings menu, choose display, and look for profiles. Pick 6500K.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #10

sdsester,
Wife just told me that the cedar structures may be sealed or stained to retain their cedar color. I guess this presents "a what if" situation. Sorry for such a complication. Have been married nearly 34 years so I should be use to it b now.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
By the way, we should make sure your monitor is set to the standard industry color temp for viewing and talking about color. If yours is not, go into your settings menu, choose display, and look for profiles. Pick 6500K.
Will do.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #12

Quote:
First pass color consulting ideas for reaction. This time I added callouts. I can show you what it would look like on the house if I am close. I am not going to waste my time until near what you like on some former S California USAF missile humper.
You've gotta "green light" on your scheme. Let's see what it looks like.

You do know that if I told you what I really did in SoCal two big burly guys in black suits would soon be knocking at your door. LOL. We recently saw a USAF recruiting commercial talking about and showing technology that was TS back in 1977. Time sure goes by so fast.

Wife also sends her regards.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sore thumb View Post
sdsester,
Wife just told me that the cedar structures may be sealed or stained to retain their cedar color. I guess this presents "a what if" situation. Sorry for such a complication. Have been married nearly 34 years so I should be use to it b now.
No biggy and not a big idea. Does she think she wants a clear sealer or something with some color in it. I have posted this before but will again.

As you climb up this illustration you will see you lose the actual color of the wood and start filling in wood grain is you move up. Solid stains are almost like paint but that they leave more texture showing. You can tint them to any color, like paint---in quality brands.

I sort of planned this into my thinking anyhow so no surprise unless she wants to solid stain the garden structures pink or something?

34 years so far? I assume you check her teeth and hooves now and then. She might be worth keeping if you have that kind of history.

Last edited by user1007; 05-09-2013 at 09:02 PM.
sore thumb (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #14

Quote:
No biggy and not a big idea. Does she think she wants a clear sealer or something with some color in it. I have posted this before but will again.

As you climb up this illustration you will see you lose the actual color of the wood and start filling in wood grain is you move up. Solid stains are almost like paint but that they leave more texture showing. You can tint them to any color, like paint---in quality brands.

I sort of planned this into my thinking anyhow so no surprise unless she wants to solid stain the garden structures pink or something?

34 years so far? I assume you check her teeth and hooves now and then. She might be worth keeping if you have that kind of history.
No pink or other strange color. Whatever the type the finish it will be tasteful and compliment the surroundings. Glad you planned that into your thinking.

Wifey is a gem while I'm the one that could potentially be glue factory bound if I buck too hard! Seriously, plenty of give and take makes 34 years possible. We make a great team. Haven't mentioned it before but my best days are behind me. Seems I have a number of serious maladies. None that are taking me underground anytime soon just rather quite debilitating. Ah, that's okay. I gave my country 20 prime years the enjoyed a very successful 13 year corporate stint. I am blessed to have one very special lady.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #15

Thank you for your outstanding help sdsester.

Advertisement