Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #1

Share |

Awkwardly shaped room

Hi everyone! I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to paint our new living room. It has a ledge most of the way around the room which is about 6-8 inches wide and is making things more difficult. I've attached some pictures so you can get an idea of the space.

Our couch is a dark brown and light brown sectional and I'm wanting to use "Earthy" tones for paint (light brown, gold, maybe sage or a subdued light green of some sort). What are your thoughts as far as using 2 different colors in this room? I am a painting novice and would appreciate any advice! We are eventually putting our tv above the fireplace or in that little alcove to the left of the fireplace. As you can see, there are plenty of windows and lots of natural light so I don't want to darken it up too much.

To the right of the first picture

To the left of the first picture (don't mind the doors, they're just hanging out there for the time being!)

Thank you!
Deebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Awkwardly shaped room

The resolution on your images was not great so the masking is a little raspy but was something like this what you were after? You can play more with the virtual painting program at the Benjamin Moore site if you want. The colors in this image are all from the Benjamin Moore Color Preview fan:

Ceiling/Trim: Dry Sage - 2142-40
Walls: Mountain Moss - 2142-30
Insets: Mink - 2112-10

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...or/DIYHelp.jpg

Since you are new to painting you will probably want to use painters tape. If that is a popcorn ceiling? Be careful because when you try to paint it, it may want to come loose on you (see other discussions on this site).
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #3

Awkwardly shaped room

Thank you for responding! I didn't know that there was a site where I could upload my own picture (rather than painting someone elses fake room), so that helps tremendously. And yes, it's a popcorn ceiling but we won't be painting it because it is just too much of a hassle.
Deebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Awkwardly shaped room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebert View Post
Thank you for responding! I didn't know that there was a site where I could upload my own picture (rather than painting someone elses fake room), so that helps tremendously. And yes, it's a popcorn ceiling but we won't be painting it because it is just too much of a hassle.
I think a lot of the paint companies now put there visualizers on disc or you can buy software for about $20 that allows you to upload your own photo. I found some others online but could not get them to work with Windows Vista. I have been using Benjamin Moore's disc for years in my work. It is only just recently I noticed their online version seems to have an option for uploading your own photo. To be honest when I was going to try it with the images you posted it kicked back a message the resolution was too low so keep that in mind.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/bmpsweb...eLabel=fh_home
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote