Aura Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
jms

Rewards Points: 10

aura paint

This is for the people that have used aura paint.
Does it live up to its new hype? Or is just maybe a little better and more expensive than regal. I have used it in a few homes now. and besides being
pretty expensive and being able to cover in one coat I don't see the big difference that they say this is. Almost always needs two coats to look good and cover properly. Just my two cents. anyone else?

Advertisement

jms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

aura paint

Well...interesting question...not an easy answer
"Does it live up to the hype"

First off, it's not a one-coat paint
There's no such thing...one coat...for any/all situations...guaranteed...not gonna happen
But BM doesn't say it's a true one coat
They say "most applications" one coat
I'd almost agree...except I'd say if it's a primer two top coat job, Aura will do it in two coats (rather than three total)
If it's a two top coat job,Aura should do it in one
-but still...with a decent real color changes it could be two...it depends...there's some "not quite" color changes and other stuff
But that's quite a bit of a slogan to put on a magazine ad...it just doesn't work...to many words lol
So you can't read too much into their slogan...as most people are doing and only repeating the "one coat" part
But most apps....eh...probably/maybe

Second, is it an ultra-low VOC paint?
Yup
There's almost no smell at all while painting...and it's gone in an hour
You can paint that afternoon and have the baby sleep in the room that night

Third, are the tints water based (as opposed to the solvent based tints of other latex paints)?
Yup
It is greener, and less toxic than most paints

Fourth, is it self priming?
It's too new to say long term (from personal experience) at this point
But so far, so spectacular
I was a firm un-believer in "self-priming" paints....until now
I don't even spot prime repairs when using it...with no flashing even on eggshell!

Fifth, does it dry in an hour?
Less

Sixth, does it touch up well?
Yup...like a dream...even in eggshell (extremely difficult to do with other paints)

Seven, does it level even better than Regal
Yup

Eight, higher resistance to burnishing?
Good lord yes...I can't seem to even get it to burnish

Nine...high scrubability?
Yup...even in flat (matte)

Ten...mold mildew resistant?
Too early to tell for me...I haven't had a good test of this yet

Well...not 110% in each category (and it does have other issues, like spraying and brushing doors...but that's another thread...), but all in all...

I'd have to say it does live up to the hype
It absolutely will save time and money, effort and materials
And it does look great (which would be 11 in the hype I guess)

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

aura paint

so you dont prime over joint compound? or wood?
flashme18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #4

aura paint

HI, ting here w/ first post.

bit about myself:

15 years painting almost everything imaginable
have used hundreds of products, and many tens of thousands of gallons of paint in my lifetime, so I just had to comment (I could not resist) on Aura.

Prestige clients would gladly pay me 100 dollars a gallon (or more) to buy whatever I want, so I tried aura. First off, the fact that it is self priming is only as true as it is for any other latex finish paint.

Self priming means moreso that it will adhere and begin to seal an unprimed area (ie spackle/plaster repair, caulk) than to act as two ore more separately cured coats of primer sealer and topcoat.

So the comment from slickshift about how he does not spot prime repairs and that it covers in one, shows me that his 2000 plus posts must have referred to his many previous paint jobs in homes owned by the blind.

( I can just smell that aura flashing over it's chemically enhanced un-odour. saying Aura does not smell is like saying the a perfumed wet dog is unnoticeable. )

There isn't a paint on this planet that does not flash on anything other that a perfect surface. Even BIN flashes on itself, and is 1000 times the sealer of aura.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great product, I would just recommend to all proprietors in computer land that -if it is specified by your contractor/client/designer, it would be more beneficial and profitable to do the following:

1) Call bejamin moore, on behalf of your paint rep, tell them that your said rep had a spill, and needs 120 aura labels purolatored asap( or if your paint rep is a dick and does not do everything you ask him to like mine does, just re-use the first and only aura label you ever purchased over and over to make all those numbskull brand-loyalists/enviro brainwashees think they are getting what they think they need to make their maker happy )

2) then slap them on a generic can of whatever, and call it a day. I recommend something decent in the 25 dollar/gallon range, other than "o'l 3-coat" aka moorestle or collection. If aura were as perfect as it is made out to be, it would not have so many variations, it would just come in one- a flat latex that is as washable, hard, fade resistant, and rich as some sort of imaginary high gloss oil/eggshell latex lovechild.

To conclude my first post, I would like to say that even in a sealed, cool can, I will once a month or so open up a leftover can of my customers "moorestyle" or "collection" to find a hideous moldy mess that smells of aging cat urine. That is a true testament to bm's mold resistance- that it molds in the can. Low VOC means no ammonia, which means leftover (curdled) paint stinks 10 times worse that the ammonia that it "replaced"

Open a window, put on a mask, whatever it takes, don't use these products- use something ungimmicky and of high quality. BM is a dinosaur as much as oil paint was 15 years ago.

take the pain out of painting- call me.
ting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:27 PM   #5

aura paint

ting..i always suffered from poor reading comprehension growing up..

are you saying that Benjamin Moore is crap paint?? Benjamin Moore molds in the can?? i have never experienced that before?

what brand of paint do you use?? and what grade?

sorry if i misunderstood
flashme18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

aura paint

I'm not a pro-painter, but I have actually used Aura paint - and for the sake of clarity I was very satisfied with it.

My two sisters and my brother, and I painted my Mom's family room for Mother's Day/Birthday.

Two coats went on the walls in less than two hours and looked like a million bucks, even over some freshly spackled patches. My little sister is four months pregnant and did not find the smell offensive - it does smell, but not like new paint or febreeze - it is just a light non-chemically smell.

Mom chose a color from the affinity line. I am impressed with the bounce of the color as the light changes in the room. It showed many of the depth characteristics that so-called full spectrum paints pride themselves on.

For this DIYer it was a great paint, and I will use it for my own painting projects.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #7

aura paint

So which competitor do we think "Ting" works for? I'm going to say Sico.
DIYHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #8

aura paint

Very good guess, I mostly use sico superwhite melamine for my outside work, and interior latex over oil work. I guess you associated my appreciation for great coverage aherence and wear with their company. However... For semigloss, General is better (and stinkier) than sico, and for eggshel "bang for your buck" (and constantly good hc/cc/oc bejamin moore colour matches), I depend on sherwin williams for cheap and cheerfull supply of eggshell (and they give me my "adjusted white" ceiling paint with three extra ounces of white for 11 bucks a can- It could cover almost any white based colour in one coat EASILY and I have sprayed it over black in one coat in night clubs many a time. When I tint my own eggshell wall paint on site, I use sheffield tint to color a certain no name (selectone) I get that is good and smells not, and is but 60 per 5er. selectones celing paint with a gallon of the sherwin ceiling paint cut in to the fiver covers very well and is 35 a 5er. How many ceilings can aura paint for 35 dollars? probably as many ceilings as ther are people who scrub their flat ceilings/care about flat paint flashing.

That's me in a nutshell

Last edited by ting; 05-14-2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #9

aura paint

well, for starters, I use -when I have to- collectrion and moorestyle, and have on ever so many occasions. I try not to buy it, but some people want to se that label they saw in the BM store where they went to pick their colours, and other customers who I work for to fix other painters (and homeowners) messes have their own collection of leftover Collection.

Basicly, the deal is if it is even stored in ideal circumstances, it is still succeptible to molding in the can, smelling generally rancid, having the teflon peel of of the lid and the inside of the can ( the way the resulting bare "steel" rusts, and then the rust and teflon sheet falls into the paint making any paint pinker -and chock full o'chunks- is to die from.)

If you have not experienced this, that is a good thing.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #10

aura paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
Well...interesting question...not an easy answer
"Does it live up to the hype"

First off, it's not a one-coat paint
There's no such thing...one coat...for any/all situations...guaranteed...not gonna happen
But BM doesn't say it's a true one coat
They say "most applications" one coat
I'd almost agree...except I'd say if it's a primer two top coat job, Aura will do it in two coats (rather than three total)
If it's a two top coat job,Aura should do it in one
-but still...with a decent real color changes it could be two...it depends...there's some "not quite" color changes and other stuff
But that's quite a bit of a slogan to put on a magazine ad...it just doesn't work...to many words lol
So you can't read too much into their slogan...as most people are doing and only repeating the "one coat" part
But most apps....eh...probably/maybe

Second, is it an ultra-low VOC paint?
Yup
There's almost no smell at all while painting...and it's gone in an hour
You can paint that afternoon and have the baby sleep in the room that night

Third, are the tints water based (as opposed to the solvent based tints of other latex paints)?
Yup
It is greener, and less toxic than most paints

Fourth, is it self priming?
It's too new to say long term (from personal experience) at this point
But so far, so spectacular
I was a firm un-believer in "self-priming" paints....until now
I don't even spot prime repairs when using it...with no flashing even on eggshell!

Fifth, does it dry in an hour?
Less

Sixth, does it touch up well?
Yup...like a dream...even in eggshell (extremely difficult to do with other paints)

Seven, does it level even better than Regal
Yup

Eight, higher resistance to burnishing?
Good lord yes...I can't seem to even get it to burnish

Nine...high scrubability?
Yup...even in flat (matte)

Ten...mold mildew resistant?
Too early to tell for me...I haven't had a good test of this yet

Well...not 110% in each category (and it does have other issues, like spraying and brushing doors...but that's another thread...), but all in all...

I'd have to say it does live up to the hype
It absolutely will save time and money, effort and materials
And it does look great (which would be 11 in the hype I guess)

Ah, my first post. What what a fun thread to start off with here. After a few years of testing this paint, I couldn't agree more with slickshift.

I have over 33 years in painting.
I am a high end painter so the cost of anything is not a problem for me. I use what produces the best results. I paint for the fussiest people you can imagine and never have a paint related complaints.
My goal is to paint the most proficiently, most cost effective, have least amount of impact around others in both timing and air quality while producing the finest looking paint jobs possible, at a profit.
I could write a book on painting and may one day. I earn a very good living on my own.

I've A/B many brands over the years.

Benjamin Moore has always been a superior product and what they are doing with Aura is right on...

I would bet anyone on the planet, I can paint a room as fast or faster, have it look as good or better, if not the nicest paint job you have ever seen using Aura. I challenge anyone using another brand of paint, to do a finer paint job than I can accomplish using Aura.

Anyone that doesn't like it, is in a different league of painters for absolute certainty.

Cheers!

Last edited by paintingguys; 02-28-2010 at 02:42 PM.
paintingguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,224

aura paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintingguys View Post

Ah, my first post. What what a fun thread to start off with here. After a few years of testing this paint, I couldn't agree more with slickshift.

I have over 33 years in painting.
I am a high end painter so the cost of anything is not a problem for me. I use what produces the best results. I paint for the fussiest people you can imagine and never have a paint related complaints.
My goal is to paint the most proficiently, most cost effective, have least amount of impact around others in both timing and air quality while producing the finest looking paint jobs possible, at a profit.
I could write a book on painting and may one day. I earn a very good living on my own.

I've A/B many brands over the years.

Benjamin Moore has always been a superior product and what they are doing with Aura is right on...

I would bet anyone on the planet, I can paint a room as fast or faster, have it look as good or better, if not the nicest paint job you have ever seen using Aura. I challenge anyone using another brand of paint, to do a finer paint job than I can accomplish using Aura.

Anyone that doesn't like it, is in a different league of painters for absolute certainty.

Cheers!
Not gonna boast too much for your first post??
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #12

aura paint

Wow great thread and post "ting".....

Over the many years I've dealt with Ben Moore I've never had a customer proclaim what you just have. Smell and bad paint in a can, certainly poorly stored already been opened 3 year old paint will do just what you've said, mainly in the entry level product lines of most all manufacturers.

Aura has been a huge success though I was skeptical in the beginning because of price. Our contractors have taken to it very, very well. They have discovered that they can actually save money using this product with out sacrificing their work. Even the trim, satin and semigloss, net great results with 1 coat of a primed surface. Aura is a low odor, which dissipates rather quickly...lastly aura never touted itself as one coat coverage, they do say however never more then 2 coats.
BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

aura paint

but can a DIYer apply Aura and get great results?
WoodySoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
the Musigician

aura paint

I've been using $20 a gallon Dutch Boy and getting great results.... I imagine I could do just as well with more expensive paint.

DM
Old 04-04-2011, 04:11 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,224

aura paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I've been using $20 a gallon Dutch Boy and getting great results.... I imagine I could do just as well with more expensive paint.

DM
It will come back to bite you some day

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote