Aura Matte Finish-522 - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

aura matte finish-522

In August 2010 my painter used Aura matte finish-522 in my powder room.
The color is AC-17 Sea Pine(blueish-green) I have been seeing water stains on the wall that will not come off with a damp cloth. The sink is opposite from the towel bar so when you turn around to wipe your hands on the towel, the water drips onto the wall. Has anyone ever experienced this problem?? The manufacturer is now saying I should have used the Aura Bath and Spa. The store is saying that is used only when there is a shower present due to the moisture level in the bathroom. Aura will refund my money for the paint but what about the expense for the painter to do it over? Before I do this a second time, I want to make sure I use the right product.
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement

mrfaibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,222

aura matte finish-522

You need more sheen than matte provides, pearl at least, eggshell better yet.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

aura matte finish-522

Flat in a Bathroom?? ............NOT COOL, you need to have some type of ENAMEL in there.........eggshell,satin,low luster, semi-gloss, high-gloss etc etc just make sure its enamel. same thing goes for when painting kitchens
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

aura matte finish-522

Firstly, Aura matte is washable, therefore it should be resistant to water splashing. The problem may lie in the depth of the color, which is medium. The heavier tint colors take longer to cure, so some of what you might be seeing are rivelets that occurred prior to cure, which could have been a couple of weeks. Purposely try to create one now to see if it is still occurring. You should never try to rub them out, always leave them alone and usually they go away, but sometimes they don't. I would have used eggshell at least, which is a lower sheen than pearl. But even with eggshell and a dark color, the water rivelets are still a posibility prior to curing. I did a dark brown bath once with the same problem, even long after curing, which I resolved by recoating the wall with the towel rack and clear coating the whole room with a clear flat poly. If you change the sheen or paint, you may have to do two coats to get the true finish look, with a clear poly it's one and done. I generally sell a clear coat now in baths where a dark color is used for exta protection. You're lucky they'll return your money, as to the labor reimbursement, that's on page 17 of the warranty disclaimer. Good Luck.
DiyPaintingGuide.org
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

aura matte finish-522

I just seen an ad from BM advertising "FLAT" paint for use in bathrooms.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #6

aura matte finish-522

When Aura was first introduced it was marketed as any finish, anywhere. That quickly turned out to be untrue when the flat, and even the eggshell showed signs of surfactant leeching in high humidity locations. I think Jsheridan summed up the problem pretty well. I have used Aura Matte in some powder rooms (low moisture areas because there is no shower) and have had good results. So cure time may be an issue here. I think you would be fine with the Bath and Spa paint - which for the life of me I'm not sure why BM just didn't reformulate the 522 line to hold up in high humidity areas instead of introducing the bath and spa. If you really want to play it safe I would step up one sheen level to the eggshell. Unfortunately every paint manuf. will warranty the paint, but there is always that disclaimer that they will not warranty the labor. With that being said, if you make a big enough stink to the Ben Moore rep they will throw you something in addition to the paint - some rollers, some more paint for another project, etc....

good luck
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,068

aura matte finish-522

The higher the gloss, the better the washability but NO finish is completely impervious to all stains. Try cleaning the wall with a little soap scum remover.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:08 AM   #8

aura matte finish-522

This was a valuable thread for me. I found that I don't know enough about Aura, though I have used it a number of times, mostly the matte, and the bath and spa once. When it first came out I got my info from the paint guys and I think I learned basically what Mazz did. I believed that the new Genex "color lock" tech made it impervious to moisture, as far as using matte in a powder room. (I wouldn't use it in a full bath though). Since this thread, I've done a powder room for a customer who prefers Aura, in a very dark color. There was paper removal and lots of little defects needing spackle. On to the second thing I realized I didn't know. I ordered satin, for some reason believing it didn't come in eggshell. I think eggshell was slower to come out at the first. Duh. Now I have some unsightly, well placed texture flashes which I'm not too happy about. She's happy, but I need to be too. Satin is a ***** to work with and I try to avoid it at all costs because of that. (For the newbie, a texture flash is any area of the surface, even when primed, that varies in texture from its surroundings. It's not to be confused with a sheen flash, where the sheen itself has a high or low spot. A spackled surface is smoother than unspackled drywall. Since satin reflects light and texture influences light reflection, the spackled area is identifiable. It's only really a problem when you have strong side light, or long or high walls. I've tried numerous ways in the past to counteract this but haven't found one. I did roll the touch-up primer. Brush touch-up would have made it ten times worse.) Just goes to show that if you don't keep up on your knowledge, the more you have to learn the hard way. And, you're never too old, or experienced, to learn. Of which, I'm both.
Joe
DiyPaintingGuide.org
Old 02-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #9

Smile

aura matte finish-522

Joe - the Eggshell, Matte, and Satin all came out at the same time, the Semi Gloss came out much later. We had a bunch of problems with using Matte and Eggshell in small bathrooms with poor ventilation. We would get surfactant leeching like crazy - so now BM suggests the Bath and spa for those that want a Matte finish or the Satin or Semi - but stay away from the eggshell in those high humidity areas. For just a powder room, I'm not sure why the OP would have that problem except like you suggested maybe cure time???? Maybe for some reason it is surfactant leeching and it just looks like water lines going down the wall to the OP?? Maybe some pics would help.. to the OP - have you tried washing those spots and letting it dry overnight to see the results before you repaint?? I remember when I first used the Aura Matte in my house it was only dry a few days and my daughter (think she was 2 or 3 at the time) took a slice of pizza and introduced the new paint to Pizza =) I remember thinking - let's see how good this Aura really is - and it cleaned up nicely...

In any case - to the OP I still think the Bath and Spa if you want a matte would be fine...

good luck!
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #10

aura matte finish-522

Mazz, I don't know why I put a block on the Aura eggshell. I think that all powders/baths now will be default with bath and spa. I used it once before because I got a free gallon sample. It worked great and touched up beautifully, with a dark brown. As to surfactant leaching, I'm not sure if that occurs with no steam or source of high humidity. I was told that surfactant leaching occurs because the finish is exposed to steam too soon after finishing, which degrades the cured surface. I always suggest a minimum of 48 hours before using the shower. Not sure if that's enough, but. Thanks for the input.
Joe

Advertisement