Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

aura, cashmere, or other

I need to spec paint for the repainting of my house.

BM aura has been suggested, also thinking of aura bath and spa for the bathrooms.

SW cashmere has also been suggested.

I am not deciding based on cost, but in the end will do the best job. I am more concerned about coverage and finish, as well as washability. I also have bad allergies as well.

Also looking for what will be the best ceiling paint.

a) will have to be a matte finish, trim satin.
b) There are 9 colors ranging from dark to light.
c) Since its flat in sheen, I am trying to avoid that chalky look that to me flat paints have.
d) Its going to be painted over USG first coat, which is going over already painted walls that are undergoing a lot of drywall repair.
e) either choice will have to be color matched since crossing brands would make them a custom color in either.
f) there are some critical light areas, long spans with natural side lighting.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

steelgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

aura, cashmere, or other

First- First coat isn't a very good primer for over existing finishes, I would prime with a better prime sealer that had better hold out.
As far as which paint- you are looking at quality paints- so a bit of personal preference comes to play.
I personally like the BM line better. The wall paint could also be BM Regal Select Matte. Both it and the Aura Matte are really very low sheen eggshells more than a flat, and have a rich look- not chalky at all.

Another thing to be aware of is not all companies use the same definitions.
Satin to SW is more like an eggshell in BM - and BM's Satin is closer to a Semi- which makes it a good choice for trim.

Ceiling paints should be dead flat. Couple good choices in BM are Muresco and the new yellow can Waterborne ceiling paint.
You will find other good choices here too.

Last edited by Brushjockey; 03-11-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #3

aura, cashmere, or other

I know and have voiced my concerns about the first coat. From the drywall side of it, its what has been recommended and decided on. The walls are a mess. The plan was to sand to compensate for the painted surface, to create a better base for the first coat. Its a contractor redo, and the drywallers he has had review the mess, and the one doing the work seems to feel its necessary.

The sheen difference was driven home when in repaint #2, they made the unwise decision of crossing over to promar 200 <it was a surprise>, and it was satin, not eggshell like the other finish, amongst other things. Just because the can says eg-shel, it doesn't mean its the same finish as another brands eggshell.

So now I get to choose the paint..and hope 3rd time will be the charm.

Thanks for the input!
Old 03-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

aura, cashmere, or other

Buy a small amount- a qt in your final choices and paint them out on a sample board. Better to spend 8-10 on a qt than hundreds on a paint you don't like.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #5

aura, cashmere, or other

I have decided:

BM Aura Matte for the walls
BM Bath and Spa for the bathrooms
BM Aura Satin for the trim
BM Waterborne ceiling paint for the ceilings

I don't want to color match, so I am in the process of re-choosing the colors closest to my colors..

Hopefully in the end, all will have been good choices..
Old 03-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

aura, cashmere, or other

My favorite combo. You will not be disappointed.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #7

aura, cashmere, or other

I approve of these choices Should work out great. Aura is pretty low-odor as well.

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Just a DIY guy

Rewards Points: 250

aura, cashmere, or other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Buy a small amount- a qt in your final choices and paint them out on a sample board. Better to spend 8-10 on a qt than hundreds on a paint you don't like.
Great advice. My wife chose a color from a chip, and did not see the result until it was finished. I got to pay to have the living room and dining room repainted.

And the sample board is another good idea, instead of painting the wall itself. It avoids having to worry about covering up the color that was not chosen.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M3 Pete For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

aura, cashmere, or other

From the USG Website:
For use on new drywall.
Minimizes surface texture variations and equalizes the porosity between the joint and the field of the board on wall and ceiling surfaces prior to finishing.

I didn't have to look for it - the statement is in a box at the top of the page. If you have mixed surfaces (Old, painted, patched, etc.) Try a universal type primer such as Zinsser 1-2-3 or Zinsser Gardz.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
Rubbin walls since'79

aura, cashmere, or other

About first coat - What it does that is so different than a primer sealer is that it makes the whole NEW sheetrock surface equally porous. It has no holdout at all. It is kind of like skimming the whole surface with a coat of mud.
And I don't think it has any claims to adhesion to anything but very porous surfaces like new rock and mud.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #11

aura, cashmere, or other

I've attached some photos of the drywall demons.

Thats been the biggest concern of the first coat, because of the painted surfaces. The consensus has been if the walls are sanded where the paint is, it "should" work. I am not totally sold, and we are still discussing.
However, the walls as they are with so many textures at this point, need something like first coat. I remember seeing a similar product that allowed for painted surfaces.

I know zinsser is really good, and I see they have an extra thick.

I am also hoping the matte finish of the aura will help as well.

But the good news is I almost have all of my colors picked out.
Attached Thumbnails
aura, cashmere, or other-newdrywall1.jpg   aura, cashmere, or other-newdrywall2.jpg   aura, cashmere, or other-newdrywall3.jpg   aura, cashmere, or other-newdrywall4.jpg  
Old 03-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
Rubbin walls since'79

aura, cashmere, or other

I really don't get why they would be so into using it. It clearly states it is for sheetrock. Maybe because its cheap or they already have it?
There are very many better choices.
And your walls have a lot of patching- but really not that unusual.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #13

aura, cashmere, or other

Its been the universal recommendation from the drywall side of things--a few drywallers that have seen the walls, as well as the one doing the work. There are so many textures on the walls at this point besides all the mud-- I guess they see it as leveling it all out and making it all uniform.

This will be the third time the house is being painted in a little over a year.. and this is hopefully the last of the drywall issues. This makes the 8th set of hands on the drywall.

I think at this point the magic combination is being hoped for.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

aura, cashmere, or other

I would still use a primer after First Coat to seal the wall and minimize flashing. BM Fresh Start 023 would be perfect.
Paintguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #15

aura, cashmere, or other

"I would still use a primer after First Coat to seal the wall and minimize flashing. BM Fresh Start 023 would be perfect."

So Aura's self priming doesn't help in this regard? I get confused with all the primers...

And I did call USG today, they pretty much went with the if its sanded, no gloss, very clean...washed down with a damp cloth etc.. that the first coat would be fine... so thats good, I hope