Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #1

Share |

Anything bad to say about Behr Ultra? Can't get SW ProClassic in my color!

Since I typed a ridiculously long post, just read the green to get the gist of my issue!

When we first got our house 10 years ago, we started painting with Behr because we didn't know any better. And I hated painting because it's hard to work with and had no idea that WORKABILITY was a huge part of why you choose a paint. After using SW for the first time several years ago and finding what a joy it was to use in comparison to Behr, I swore I'd never use Behr again.

Problem with SW paint (and this is just personal opinion) is I find their color palate to be lacking. This has been no problem because they've always been able to color match everything we've brought into them with extreme accuracy. Whenever they have a good 40% of paint sale and I know I've got some upcoming projects, I always buy a few untinted cans and go back and tint them when I'm ready to paint.

OK - my gripe: SW's "whites" are SEVERELY LACKING. The few they do have are definitely greyish in tint as compared to more traditional off-whites which are slightly yellow or brown in tint. I have this Behr color that I love, "Powdered Snow", which we've used in several areas of our home. Took my ProClassic in to get tinted and SW can't color match it. They say it is "too white." [FWIW, it's not like you barely notice the color when comparing to untinted white.]

So, I'm not a happy camper...mostly because I like the finished quality of ProClassic so much and its workability (at least compared to regular Behr)! I like untinted ProClassic against bright wall colors (we painted the kids bathroom a "froggy green" and the white trim looks great) or browns, but not so much against muted colors in the sage family or blue/grey family. The Powdered Snow color just looks great. And the room I am about to paint is going to have a TON of white (huge greatroom with wainscoting all the way around).

I've heard that Behr Ultra is a better PAINT (forget the "priming" feature) than their regular stuff (which I hate). And I'm either gonna have to paint the room with this stuff (workability is a huge issue for me on the wainscoting), or go ahead with the untinted ProClassic and despise the massive amounts of bright white in the room. Which is the lesser of the two evils?

7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

White white is usually to stark to go with much paint so I understand what you are saying.

Have you compared the color you want to a Benjamin Moore off-white color fan (mine is in a closet but as I remember their are like 100+ options)? Not sure why SW is telling you they cannot match it.

Do you have some left from a prior project? Paint it out on a drywall scrap, piece of cardboard, etc. Take it to another SW or Ben Moore dealer (or ask someone who knows how to work the scanner scan it) with a color scanner. A calibrated scanner will nail it perfectly and the store/department will hand you a custom mix formula for whatever you bring them if you cannot find a matching off-white.

The nicer and kinder me will not bash Behr too much anymore. One nice thing about it is you will never have to wait in line behind painters waiting for their orders to be mixed to get it like you might at a real paint store.

I walked into the HD near me last week doing some research (I don't buy in the places). The young girl behind the paint counter was super cute. She didn't know anything about paint but you cannot have everything right?

Last edited by user1007; 04-29-2013 at 08:26 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #3

No - I haven't been to the BM store. I don't know why SW cannot match it. They have been able to match everything else for me with their color scanner. They even nailed a color off of a shower curtain...just perfect! They just said their scanner read the color and could not come up with a colorant formula for the ProClassic (which I have a ton of).

TRUST ME - I don't want to use the Behr (hence the post). Which BM paint in a satin sheen will take care of my trim needs without breaking the bank and giving me a rock-hard finish like ProClassic??
Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

It would be best if you stop in at a Ben Moore dealer as paints range from an excellent contractor grade up to things like Aura. Impervo and Impervex are also popular for light colored trim. One will fit your price point. Do you want to work with water-based or an oil finish? Ben Moore has a new waterborne alkyd that combines the best properties of both, I am told. I have not used it.

Regal Select - satin is one toward the upper end of the line with a nice acrylic make-up that comes to mind. Regal select is available in a fairly wide range of sheens though and there is no way to communicate them online. Satin sometimes means different things to different people.

Last edited by user1007; 04-29-2013 at 10:07 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #5

Like I have said before.......if it works for you, by all means, use it. Most of us on here do not like Behr paint, but, at the end of the day, if you like it, had success with it before, and the white is the white you want, go for it.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (04-29-2013), ToolSeeker (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

LOL SdS.. One of the kindest , gentlest put downs I've seen! Kudos!
I was expecting a flame fest when I came back here-

Quote:
The nicer and kinder me will not bash Behr too much anymore. One nice thing about it is you will never have to wait in line behind painters waiting for their orders to be mixed to get it like you might at a real paint store.

I walked into the HD near me last week doing some research (I don't buy in the places). The young girl behind the paint counter was super cute. She didn't know anything about paint but you cannot have everything right?
7.62- Trim paint goes forever- don't go cheap there.
First- going from oil to a WB is going to take a little prep- Light scuff sand a minimum, a wash with something like TSP substitute after the sand will both etch and clean off any dust.
I often also use a bonding primer (Stix, Zin 123, etc)

At BM, my fav trims are Advance ( as mentioned), Aura Satin, WB Impervo satin.
Also -satin- in BM speak is just below a semi, in SW speak it is matte.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I cannot emphasize enough that I cannot stand Behr paint. I used it when I first became a homeowner because I didn't know any better. But, to be fair, I had only used the standard Behr stuff and heard "Ultra" was much better. I have no experience with it so that why I was asking.

I'm gonna go back to SW to see what they can do to match that color. If they can't I'll head over to BM. It's just that I already have a ton of untinted ProClassic and want to be able to USE it.

I am sticking with the waterborne acrylic-alkyd (ProClassic) as opposed to a standard alkyd (though I understand they also have a ProClassic that is acrylic latex...not sure the differences in performance). I don't want the paint to yellow, and I've never worked with interior oil. In my mind it would be a big pain. If I paint the trim first, I'd have to cut in with a primer before applying the latex paint to the walls. If I paint the walls first, any touch up I do after painting the trim will require a primer first. I just like the fact that if I'm using waterborne paints for both, touch ups are easy. How do you guys do it when you use oil for trim, latex for walls? Do you like oil that much better?

Brushjockey - I've already done all of the sanding, scraping and clean up (lots and lots and lots of it) because I'm going over a hi-gloss latex. The TSP wipe down is today, followed by caulking and then I'm breaking out the Zin 123. The idiots who lived here before us painted finished wood wainscoting and trim without priming or sanding, so you can imagine what I've been through lately with the prep work. Like I said, the room is huge.

Thanks for the tip on sheen. Satin in SW and Behr are pretty much the same, just above a matte. I would have ticked if I had ended up with a semi-gloss look if it turns I had to go with BM. I hate shiny trim!