Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

anyone tried Brick-Anew for painting a fireplace???

Just wondering if anyone has tried this product on a brick fireplace. I stumbled onto the website (http://www.brick-anew.com/) and it almost sounds too good to be true (really easy & quick with great looking results). The starter kit is nearly $200 for 6 not-so-large cans of paint. If the product works as promised, it would be worth the money. I'm just looking for someone who has actually tried it - I know once I start putting paint on my brick fireplace, there's no turning back.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:41 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to bgefire

I was just curious if you used the product. I was thinking of tiling over my brick fireplace with slate, but after looking at this I'm reconsidering. Just wanted to see what you ended up with.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #3

I have used brick-anew on my brick fireplace which was an ugly red brick wall. This brick wall was from floor to ceiling which went from my den and into the living room. There's fireplaces in both rooms. I was very nervous at first and after a year of searching brick-anew testimonials and photos I decided to order the kit and do it. It was the best thing I ever did. It involves a 5 step process but once you get the brick covered with the base coat it was fun and easy to use. I only wished that I had done it ten years ago when we bought this house. It's made a world of difference in both rooms and has enabled me to decorate and enjoy the brightness of the rooms. I had to order extra paint, since the area of brick wall which surrounds both den and living room with much more coverage than the average brick walls. For the money it was well worth it. I am 71 yrs. old and if I can do it I'm sure anyone can. I have always done painting myself for many years and am picky about the final aspect of the job. I have recived compliments galore and the beauty of it all is that it's much easier to dust the brick wall which I never was able to clean before. If you would like before and after photos of my project email me and I will email you photos.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:23 AM   #4

You mentioned that you wouldn't mind sending pictures of your brick anew project. I am considering painting our brick fireplace and would love to see your pictures.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2007, 06:00 PM   #5

I would like to see the photos too. I have been doing so much reading about it. Thanks

I haven't yet but I sure would love to. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #6

I would like to see the photos of your project

Quote:
Originally Posted by cag2360 View Post
I would like to see the photos too. I have been doing so much reading about it. Thanks
Did you ever get to see any photos?

Thanks that would be helpful. We are in the process of moving into a new home and it has the fake brick from the 70's on the fireplace and two surrounding walls it's not very nice looking I was just going to paint it but was worried to try.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:45 AM   #7

we did not use this product and did not spend anywhere near $200 to paint it. I will try to get the directions she found for painting it, and what she used as a primer and then paint. It looks fantastic compared to what it looked like when we bought the house. I will try to get a couple of the before and after pictures of it as well. Give me a couple of days and I will either post them on here or email them to whoever wants them.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #8

I would love to see the directions too; I have the same ugly red circa sixties fireplace problem. Thanks!

I'm still thinking about doing this too ... would love to see any photos or hear from anyone else who's tried it. It's really just the cost that puts me off, I want to make sure it's worth it.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #9

Sorry this has taken so long, wife was out of town for a week on work. Here are the directions she sent and anyone who wants a picture send me a PM or post your email address in the thread if you like and I will email you pictures.

Instructions:

We bought TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) from Lowe's.

Follow the directions on the TSP for cleaning brick - I used a minimal amount, as our brick wasn't very dirty, but I wanted to make sure it was clean and free of soot, etc.

I used a grout brush and just dipped it in the TSP mixture and scrubbed the brick - make sure to place drop cloths around the fireplace, as the TSP will ruin floors (don't be scared of using it though - I'm very clumsy and didn't have any problems).

I then just wiped the brick down with a damp cloth and let it dry completely.

Next I primed the brick with Kilz (for our fireplace I only needed a quart of Kilz).

I did one coat of primer and let dry completely (at least 24 hours).

I then painted the brick with a glossy, black latex paint.

It took three coats of paint (but I only needed a quart of paint).
Old 04-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #10

Yes, I would love to see your before/after pictures. I am getting ready to paint my brick fireplace. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #11

I would love to see the pictures of your fireplace.

I would love the before and after pictures of your fireplace project. Please email them to me at
Old 09-25-2007, 06:11 PM   #12

I've attached pictures of my new fireplace. I'm very happy with the way it turned out! Glad I did it.

Cathy
Attached Thumbnails
anyone tried Brick-Anew for painting a fireplace???-010.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2007, 11:52 PM   #13

I would also love to see photos of your fireplace. My daughter would like to paint hers black or gray. Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:45 AM   #14

I think I have emailed pictures to everyone who posted their email and wanted them. If there is anyone else who wants them post your email I have no problem sending emails.

Since you can buy the small amounts of paint this is not an expensive project at all.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #15

I would like to see them also. Thanks for taking the time to send them to every one.

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 11-01-2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: removed e-mail
Closed Thread