DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Anyone PAINTED wood trim?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  slickshift 
#1 ·
I have wood baseboards that were stained brown.

My wife wants white trim, or to restain the faded brown trim.

Can I do either? I've been told that it is a total headache to paint the brown trim (trim plus doors,etc) white...and that you can't restain the old stained wood.

Any help?

#2 ·
Re-staining would require completely sanding the trim down to raw wood, since the stain needs to penetrate into the wood and the top coats and sealer will prevent this. Also you will need to remove the trim to do this work. Poly shades can be used to cover the trim and get a similar finish but toned as your wife wants. But this is a tough to make this stuff look good. Painting over it is not hard. Use a primer first, then paint with two coats.

#4 ·
If it hasn't been poly'd, you can re-stain the same or darker color
If it's been poly'd, you can use polystains or a gel stain (again, the same or darker)
Regardless, if you want to paint it's a coat of oil/alkyd primer and two coats paint or preferably enamel, water-based or oil/alkyd

If you have stain (w/ or w/o poly), and want it lighter, it's a full strip, and most likely more efficient to remove to re-trim, and go from there

So, depending on what you have and what you want, it could be slightly more labor intensive to re-paint
Also, depending on what you have and what you want, it may be your best alternative

#7 ·
wood trim can be painted ahead of time and then touched up once it is installed, or it can be painted in place, as with existing trim. When you apply two coats of semigloss or gloss paint to your trim, as is often the case, ensure a good bond by sanding lightly between coats and cleaning the dust it with a cloth.

Dana

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.