Anyone Familiar With This Brandless Sprayer: - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 54

Anyone familiar with this brandless sprayer:

It's available from different sources under different brands. Other than the color of the plastic, it seems to be the same product:

"PowerPlus"

"Venkin"

"Hyundai"

The reason I'm interested in this product is because it's cheap, and may be sufficient for painting a single wall for projection. This is my first intended application, but I'd like to be able to use it to paint other walls in the future. The reason I'm interested in spraying rather than using a roller is because I want to get smooth result without stipple. Smooth surface is supposed to provide better projection quality.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Yirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,584

Those kind of sprayers don't have enough power to push UNTHINNED latex paints. You have to thin the paint so much to get it to spray. You will have more of a mess than anything else. Just rent a quality unit from your local paintstore.

Advertisement

Oden (06-02-2015), ToolSeeker (06-02-2015), Yirg (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 26

It is a HVLP system. And not a powerful one at that. Not at all suited for painting walls. It's for really thin material, most especially that one there is. It wouldn't shoot wall paint even, not unless you were to thin it so much as to make it water color.
Stains, clear coats stuff like that is what that maxhine is meant to apply. HVLP. Look it up.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oden For This Useful Post:
Yirg (06-02-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden View Post
It is a HVLP system. And not a powerful one at that. Not at all suited for painting walls. It's for really thin material, most especially that one there is. It wouldn't shoot wall paint even, not unless you were to thin it so much as to make it water color.
Stains, clear coats stuff like that is what that maxhine is meant to apply. HVLP. Look it up.
This is a low quality /low power sprayer and I agree with the above posts but it has nothing to do with it being HVLP.A good quality HVLP sprayer can be used to spray any kind of finish with quality results.
mako1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,448

Mako that is kinda true with a big BUT, an HVLP 5 or 6 stage which prices start around $3000 will shoot anything but not all HVLP's are created equal. I bought a cheapo one thinking it would be great for when I had just a couple doors to do. It was a disaster. After using it twice I retired it and went back to airless.

Believe me the results were very far from quality. The paint had to be thinned so much that it affected the levelers in the paint so it didn't come close to leveling out and the hot air from the turbine dried the extra thin paint too fast and it looked streaked.

Think about it, if you could buy a quality HVLP for $150 why would anyone buy them for $3000+. HVLP is not a good choice for walls anyway, as they really don't apply the paint heavy enough. Where the excel is like cabinets or smaller where you can apply several thin coats and they are great for clear coats.

I know some will disagree, but go over to Paint Talk and search HVLP sprayers and read what the people that use them the most have to say.
Gymschu (06-03-2015), klaatu (06-04-2015), Red Dog (06-03-2015), Yirg (06-03-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 54

Thanks for all the replies. I'll avoid this sprayer and use a roller instead. I guess I'll have to accept some stipple. Hopefully the use of matte paint will hide it to some degree.
Yirg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yirg For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (06-04-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 12:46 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 600

I have the Rockler / Harbor Freight / Chicago Pneumatic version of that turbine HVLP sprayer. The other posters are correct - latex has to be thinned A LOT. It's a fantastic sprayer for small job, such as furniture, but I wouldn't use it on a full wall. I've only used mine to shoot latex on the bed I built for my daughter, and it came out great. It's easy to clean, but I thinking a brush and roller would've likely been faster.
Seattle2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,012

PAINT ZOOM! DANGER-DANGER! You can buy those things off Alibaba for like $20. And get them molded any color you want. Scam, junk, trash, etc,etc,etc.

And this one is the older, more worthless version!

Advertisement

Last edited by klaatu; 06-06-2015 at 09:25 AM.
klaatu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to klaatu For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-06-2015)