Anyone Ever Appliance Paint? Or Bathtub Paint? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Anyone ever appliance paint? Or bathtub paint?

Hi all. I was hoping that someone here could speak to the durability of so-called appliance paints. Anyone here used them? How about using them to change the color of an appliance so that it better matched a house? Would you say that the paint is durable enough to go on a stove top? Or paint the inside of a bathtub?

Advertisement

Bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #2
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

Paint is never going to be as durable as fired on glaze used on iron tubs and metal. The stove top is going to be a fired on ceramic, there's no paint that will stay there.
Might be able to get a replacement stove top in the color you want.

Advertisement

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,294

I once tried the special epoxy for recoating bath tubs. Never again! It was complicated to use and the finish was nowhere near the original. You might want to look into bathfitters for your tub. I can't say I have ever recoated an appliance so I can offer no info on that.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You might get away with an appliance paint for a frig or dishwasher front but the stove top needs to take a lot of heat. Those finishes are baked on, high heat powder coat or electrofinishes of some kind. Hard to replicate from a rattle can.

As for tubs, they do sell those DIY epoxy kits. I have never seen them work out well. There are tub refinishers in most areas and some do things like antique clawfoots nicely. I have prepped and finished the exteriors of many clawfoots but never attempted to repair or coat the porcelain.

There are also those bathroom restoration companies that overlay a whole new bath over an existing tub, tile, etc. To me, the stuff stack right up the top of list of things I would never want in or on my home along with laminate flooring and vinyl siding. Icky.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
RWolff (06-10-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #5

Well I'm pretty handy. Perhaps I could take the stove top apart, and take that top metal piece to have it powder coated. Maybe powder coat would hold up? And this might sound odd, but autobody paint is very hard and heat resistant. Many people paint their engine blocks with it. Which of course are going to be quite hot.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

no. powder coats and car paints are soft compared to the porcelain on stove tops.

I often wish there were an easy way to bake porcelain onto damaged tubs and appliances.
There is a big rusted chip in my bath tub, and I used white appliance paint to fill it in. The paint is still stuck on, but soft compared to the original finish. Color doesn't match either.

I have a newer black porcelain stove top in my rental house, and I hope tenants don't scratch it up.
pman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennylava View Post
Well I'm pretty handy. Perhaps I could take the stove top apart, and take that top metal piece to have it powder coated. Maybe powder coat would hold up? And this might sound odd, but autobody paint is very hard and heat resistant. Many people paint their engine blocks with it. Which of course are going to be quite hot.

If you are willing to go to that amount of trouble for this, why don't you look up the make and model of the stove and then see if it's a simple matter of buying a replacement top in the color you want?
I am sure of all the parts to a stove, that one of the most available replacement parts would BE the top simply because people do drop cast-iron frypans and do all sorts of things that can chip, scratch or damage the top.

For all you know the top might be very reasonably priced and in just the right color, but trying to repaint, recoat the old one, I just don't see it holding up, and then when that fails it looks ten time worse.

The Following User Says Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #8

Ok, I will look into it. But as you can see from the pics, that stove top is likely from the mid 90's. I find it hard to believe that they're still selling the top, but I'll give it a try.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Ok, I will look into it. But as you can see from the pics, that stove top is likely from the mid 90's. I find it hard to believe that they're still selling the top, but I'll give it a try.

I must have missed pics, I didn't see any...
Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

I recently looked into this for my home renovation while trying to save the old blue cast iron tub. It would have cost me around $500 to have a professionally applied epoxy coating applied to the tub and it would only have gotten me a 5 year warranty. I ripped the old tub out and put a new white cast iron tub in for $350 and have a far better end result than the epoxy would have been. Painting these things is just a waste of time and money.
Gymschu (06-11-2013), RWolff (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
Painting these things is just a waste of time and money.
I tend to agree there.
I know my house had this really stupid built-in cast iron tub that was not actually built-in, and they had it turned around with the open end facing out into the room, and built a little half wall to cover it but the wall was several inches out of plumb LOL.

I found a near mint condition cast iron claw foot tub at a local antique shop for $125, ripped the junk out and installed that one.
At least these old tubs are real common, and one can find one that isn't chipped.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman6 View Post
I often wish there were an easy way to bake porcelain onto damaged tubs and appliances.
Well there is jet coating. IIRC, there is a company selling a spray on version that you can DIY. I think it was Eastwood. You do have to have a spray gun and an air compressor, and then you have to oven bake it on. Not too sure how many colors you can get, the only one I saw was aluminum silver, but that may have changed. This was good up to 1300 degrees F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolff View Post
I must have missed pics, I didn't see any...
First page, in the pics of the kitchen. If there isn't one of the stove top, there is at least on of the oven face, which is the exact same color. I'd also like to change the color of that, as well. To black. I'd like everything to match the microwave, and the fridge that I'll be putting in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bennylava For This Useful Post:
RWolff (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,070

Quote:
First page, in the pics of the kitchen. If there isn't one of the stove top, there is at least on of the oven face, which is the exact same color. I'd also like to change the color of that, as well. .

Let me take these off.

Nope, I still don't see any pictures.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,222

Just ditto to everyone's comments above.

Many years ago, I sandblasted appliances to go from avocado green to harvest gold.... that's how long ago.... stove curles right around the burners... other appliances OK.

I've also tried the junk at HD.... rediculous junk.

If the tub is not really used (no shower) some of the commerial 500-600 jobs are ok for a flip property.... I would not do it in my own home if I thought the tub was going to get any material/ significant use.

Advertisement